Kari Lehtonen wins 300th game

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Stars fan here. Kari has had a bad rep here the last few years. During the years that Tom Hicks killed the Stars, Kari was an extremely solid goalie. I know a couple guys in charge of the ice at the AAC. From their accounts, he always goes out of his way to thank them for what they do. I'm really happy for him.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
He's a quality REGULAR SEASON goalie, he's mentally fragile and will scare the hell out of any fan come playoffs. But all around skill set including puck handling he's quite good. Congrats on 300 and if I'm not mistaken in this very same gane he surpassed Kiprusoff for most starts by a Finnish goalie.

I wonder where he lands after his deal is up in Dallas? Wouldn't hate to sign him again but pay him backup dollars.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Has he taken the starter job back from Bishop? Noticed he's started the last few for Dallas.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Is it? I always thought he was average and overpaid and that Niemi was the real issue

Neimi was terrible. Kari had a horrible defensive system in front of him for several years before Neimi. Couple that in with the Ruff "run and gun" style, and it was not good. During the bad years, he was great. Looking back, it would have been an awesome thing draft-wise if he was an average goalie.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
More like...Can't Ward, am I right?

Good for him. That's 10 years of starter's win totals.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Kari has always been one of the more talented goalies out there. Unfortunately he's had some injury issues in his career and never really played for a great defensive team to boost his numbers. Ultimately i think his mental game has also suffered somewhat over the years. I think his biggest weakness is losing focus on easy looking plays sometimes, which leads to bad rep.

But he can still show flashes of what he can do. He's a guy capable of stealing games even today. And he's played a lot of games in the league.

Congrats!

Reactions: Karitimes

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Congrats to him. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his play you don't hit a milestone like that by accident.

Carolina should trade Darling and sign him next summer. Him and Ward just might be the most unimpressively impressive tandem ever.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Glad for Kari. The dude is all class, and loves the city. I'm hoping he is signed to an extension next year. I don't see it not happening

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Stars fan here. Kari has had a bad rep here the last few years. During the years that Tom Hicks killed the Stars, Kari was an extremely solid goalie. I know a couple guys in charge of the ice at the AAC. From their accounts, he always goes out of his way to thank them for what they do. I'm really happy for him.
I know Dallas hasnt been happy with Lehtonen. First they bring in Niemi replace him but that failed miserably. Then they bring in Bishop and Lehtonen is outplaying him. Lehtonen isnt the problem. Get some better defensive help rather than bringing in goalies. Congrats to Lehtonen. I hope he continues to play well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad