GDT: Kapitols @ Solar>Oil. 10.00pm EST.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Little bit annoyed by Oilers fans claiming Skinner "owned Ovie". Oh well, maybe they don't often get the chance to keep him off the score sheet.

But kind of rich for a team that has two of the best players in the league and hasn't won a goddamn thing....
By Skinner robbing OV twice, Oilers fans probably think Skinner can be their Grant Fuhr or something. Skinner is an above average goalie and he will fail them once again in the playoffs. Oilers offense will carry the team for a couple rounds and then when they really need Skinner to step up, he will fail as he has before.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
BTW the last two games were just a preview of what the playoffs would look like , for those of you foolish enough to want this team to make it.

Just keep on tankin'.
West is different than the East. Caps have a lot more familiarity with East teams and actually have played them competitively. If you want to root for the team to tank, then go root for the Coyotes or Pens!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think playoff experience for our young players is more valuable than being a few spots higher in the draft.

Look at Buffalo, they’ve sucked for almost 15 years now despite all the high draft picks. They have a losing culture and they can’t shake it off.
You play to win! When players let up or don't care so much, as you said the losing culture becomes a norm. I would rather see the team try to play their best, whether they win or lose, let the chips fall where they may. Not this loser talk that they should tank. Some ppl on here have been poo pooing our prospects in Hershey all season. Well Hershey is the best team in the AHL, which bodes well for the Caps prospects on the Hershey roster to transition better playing in the NHL. The fact that Hershey is being fairly dominant at the AHL level, shows me Caps prospects should have already been promoted but have been held back due to the Caps having too many higher priced vets that should have be gone a couple years ago.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think playoff experience for our young players is more valuable than being a few spots higher in the draft.

Look at Buffalo, they’ve sucked for almost 15 years now despite all the high draft picks. They have a losing culture and they can’t shake it off.
A higher draft spot by no means guarantees anything. But I’ll see your Buffalo and point to watch 36 years of caps playoff hockey before “playoff experience” paid off. Getting CMM 5ish games in the first round isn’t putting us over the top either.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
You play to win! When players let up or don't care so much, as you said the losing culture becomes a norm. I would rather see the team try to play their best, whether they win or lose, let the chips fall where they may. Not this loser talk that they should tank. Some ppl on here have been poo pooing our prospects in Hershey all season. Well Hershey is the best team in the AHL, which bodes well for the Caps prospects on the Hershey roster to transition better playing in the NHL. The fact that Hershey is being fairly dominant at the AHL level, shows me Caps prospects should have already been promoted but have been held back due to the Caps having too many higher priced vets that should have be gone a couple years ago.
1. Nobody is rooting for the players to give up
2. Getting rolled in the first round isn’t developing a winning culture again.
3. What Hershey does and how good our prospect pool is has no bearing on this years team.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
By Skinner robbing OV twice, Oilers fans probably think Skinner can be their Grant Fuhr or something. Skinner is an above average goalie and he will fail them once again in the playoffs. Oilers offense will carry the team for a couple rounds and then when they really need Skinner to step up, he will fail as he has before.

Agreed.

Little bit annoyed by Oilers fans claiming Skinner "owned Ovie". Oh well, maybe they don't often get the chance to keep him off the score sheet.

But kind of rich for a team that has two of the best players in the league and hasn't won a goddamn thing....

The time is running out for them too. If one of their defense gets hurt it's all over.

Reactions: PlushMinus

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
No Ovie goals makes me sad. From here on out the talk should be Ovie goals, developing the kids, and draft position. Let’s stop this nonsense about a wildcard spot.

It's the chase to the end. Losing to Arizona twice in big fashion equates to low expectations. Chicago probably going to get the big pick in a weak draft anyway.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I just can never get behind rooting for the team to lose. A high draft pick is the consolation prize of a bad season, not the goal. This year's draft isn't even that good. I'd much rather see the team fight it out for a playoff spot (or even make it in). It probably means a 1st round exit if they do make it, but I won't be mad. At least we get a few more weeks of hockey.

We want to build a winning culture with our young players and playing competitive hockey is better for developing young players than losing every night. Running a pro hockey team like it's a video game doesn't work.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A higher draft spot by no means guarantees anything. But I’ll see your Buffalo and point to watch 36 years of caps playoff hockey before “playoff experience” paid off. Getting CMM 5ish games in the first round isn’t putting us over the top either.

The fact that it took us a while to win the Cup doesn't mean the playoff experience was worthless, quite the opposite in fact. We never win the Cup without learning from years of failure. I don't care how many times the Ovi era core lost in the first 2 rounds, it was necessary to reach the ultimate goal.

Giving 4-5 games of playoff hockey makes them face adversity and teaches the young player how difficult it is to win in this league, and the kind of sacrifices it requires.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I will say even though the Oilers won I don't see them winning the cup this year.
Me neither.

I'm thinking Colorado. They can just flip a switch and takeover games - like they did against Vancouver. Down 0-3 and then 4 straight to win it the other night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad