Confirmed with Link: Kapanen re-signs for 2 years at $3.2 million AAV

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This comes in at around what I expected him to come in at. I was thinking something like 2 or 3 years between $2.75 million and $3.25 million.

The interesting thing to see is how the Penguins will make cap space to fit him in. They're over the cap with a 23 man roster now.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
edd324b4c9dcda260fd4ec3293cd1a4c--joker-and-harley-joker-batman.jpg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I assumed 2.75m for 1 year but 2 years is going to be more.

Could be a bargain if he beats out Zucker for the 2nd line spot. But not much of a bargain for a 3rd liner that doesn't do PK or PP under Sullivan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When Kapanen got qualified, it basically guaranteed that he would come in at around $3 million a year. The only way he could have come in less was if he wouldn't have been qualified and signed as a UFA. But even then, he'd still be coming in at around $2.5 million.

In hindsight, they should have just not qualified him and let him get a "unqualified young UFA" contract instead of a "arbitration eligible RFA" contract.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I hope this is a sign-and-trade maneuver.

Under the right circumstances -- circumstances which don't involve anyone named "Sullivan" as his coach -- Kap could be a useful player again if whatever confidence he once possessed hasn't completely evaporated. He could be at least a 30-40 point player, a penalty killer, and perhaps get a sniff on somebody's PP2 unit which would improve his stats further.

What Kapanen needs is a fresh start somewhere else; what he doesn't need is some idiot coach saying things like "I expect this guy to be a superstar!" on the one hand (nothing like "praising" with ridiculous expectations, eh?), then doghousing the player and jerking him around if he makes one mistake. The Kapanen we saw here last season was not only a player who had all the confidence coached out of him, but apparently also had all the talent coached out of him.

Perhaps those things go together to some degree -- maybe it's not the easiest thing to display talent and "get to your game" when the coach has you on by far the shortest leash of anyone on the team and therefore you're living in mortal terror of making the slightest mistake.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The deal is okay. He's either an expensive 3rd liner or could be a steal if the switch ever goes on and he becomes a top 6 guy. He looked like he would be a good top 6 guy his first season here when he was killing it with Geno but then Geno got hurt and it's been mostly down hill for Kap ever since. I'm not holding my breath for him to get it together but the physical talent for him to be a good player has always been there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I... hmm.

Look, I like the idea of gambling on upside. Kapanen's upside here is gigantic. Not some "imagine what he could do", just "look at what he's done".

But I just kinda don't believe it's going to happen here. I'm not sure he's got the brains/mentality for how Sully wants us to play. And I'm not fond of the idea of doing it for a fair payment.

Prove me wrong dude.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I thought it would be one year and substantially less, like ~2M. I was wrong.

Don’t mind it at all though tbh.

We have cap next summer to not be forced into giving up something of value to dump him if he completely blows again.

If he has another 2020-21, he’s a top 6 forward signed for a very nice hit.

If he rebounds to somewhere in the middle he’s got some trade value at that number.

Reactions: Giskard

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Hopefully there is a trade lined up here while he still has some value to someone. It would be awful watching another two years of seeing this guy misfire and get thrown on the fourth line/press box every few games while he eeks out 30 points.

On another note, if Sullivan gets fired mid-season, this could be the year he breaks out. Who knows?

Nino cost slightly more.

Would've been great to let Kap walk, and sign Nino to that deal. But it sounds like the Josi connection helped get that one over the line.

Still, its hard to swallow. KK hasnt worked out. Sunk cost fallacy seems to dictate that the org keep him around, even though its clearly not going to work. If we had walked away from him and signed a comparable (but older winger) who was a better fit all around, I wouldnt be lamenting JR giving away a first rounder.

Edit: given the timing of this and the Nino news, I wonder if they were related. Like we had a verbal offer out there with Niederreiter, and it was contingent upon shifting KK in a trade in the coming days. NN decides to grab the Nashville offer before it disappears, and as a result Hextall shrugs and just retains the guy he has.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What's interesting and suspicious here is that EVERY OTHER signing the Pens have made this summer were first announced by the team on their own twitter & website.

The fact that this signing has still not even been confirmed by the Penguins or listed on their website/twitter just indicates to me that they're not planning on keeping him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What's interesting and suspicious here is that EVERY OTHER signing the Pens have made this summer were first announced by the team on their own twitter & website.

The fact that this signing has still not even been confirmed by the Penguins or listed on their website/twitter just indicates to me that they're not planning on keeping him.
Good point. Guess we’ll find out soon.

Reactions: Doogle

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think the hate is too much. The guy had a bad year and he certainly knew it. But it's kind of a moot point because I doubt he's affordable in his role. Hope he finds a fit somewhere because I like the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad