Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen Called Up

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That was actually against Finland, as I was talking about Sundin in that quoted part. Sundin was actually quite a team Finland killer in international tournaments.

With Selanne-Koivu Finland came close a couple of times but Sundin always won. For example 2003 world championships semi final: Sundin one goal, Forsberg with two, Selanne with a hat trick, but Sweden still advanced with a 6-5 win. Finland lead the game 5-1, still lost. Same thing throughout that era, Olympics, WHC or WC, Finland lost, rinse and repeat.

ah my bad, I thought you were talking about kapanen

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but oh well...The Toronto Zoo had triplet capybaras born and they have a contest to name them. Kasperi, Sami and Niko? Lol. They are baby cappies.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Looks good out there but I think he has the Grabner issue. He can't seem to handle the puck well at top speed. I'm hoping he finds his stick-handling touch, he needs to be stronger on the puck.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but oh well...The Toronto Zoo had triplet capybaras born and they have a contest to name them. Kasperi, Sami and Niko? Lol. They are baby cappies.

LMFAO
:biglaugh:
Looks good out there but I think he has the Grabner issue. He can't seem to handle the puck well at top speed. I'm hoping he finds his stick-handling touch, he needs to be stronger on the puck.

Like Grabner, his biggest issue has been consistency...but he has the drive. There were nights in the AHL when Willie looked asleep and Kappy was riled up. So I have hope and he's still young that can get trained into that great mindset.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017

He can't handle the puck at high speed if there is an opposing player within 20 ft, its called hearing footsteps, like Sosh in close quarters he coughs the puck up all day, Nylander sees open ice and heads for open ice as a safety net, he also will not/can not make a play or willing to go into a corner or elsewhere if physical play is apparent. The young kids are great in open ice where they can use their light frames and edges to avoid contact, once contact is possible theres nothing. Brown is cut from the same cloth/Hyman plays hard but is also weak in Physical stature and mental toughness, if i had a dime for everytime they picked their butts off the ice?

You do realize their are not enough pancakes or protein drinks to correct the problem. watch year 2 and three. It doesnt matter how much coaching threatens a new player to keep his job the reality is the league is made up of sharks that will eat guppies, thats why Lou got # 15 he eats sharks, problem here is due to Toi and coaching mentality on physicality he is used sparingly.

Too many guppies to get hurt if the shark eater gets released...Babcock equals Euro style. Trotz knows how to move around physicality so not to be eaten by the shark eater.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
He can't handle the puck at high speed if there is an opposing player within 20 ft, its called hearing footsteps, like Sosh in close quarters he coughs the puck up all day, Nylander sees open ice and heads for open ice as a safety net, he also will not/can not make a play or willing to go into a corner or elsewhere if physical play is apparent. The young kids are great in open ice where they can use their light frames and edges to avoid contact, once contact is possible theres nothing. Brown is cut from the same cloth/Hyman plays hard but is also weak in Physical stature and mental toughness, if i had a dime for everytime they picked their butts off the ice?

You do realize their are not enough pancakes or protein drinks to correct the problem. watch year 2 and three. It doesnt matter how much coaching threatens a new player to keep his job the reality is the league is made up of sharks that will eat guppies, thats why Lou got # 15 he eats sharks, problem here is due to Toi and coaching mentality on physicality he is used sparingly.

Too many guppies to get hurt if the shark eater gets released...Babcock equals Euro style. Trotz knows how to move around physicality so not to be eaten by the shark eater.

It's just not when he is being pressured that Kapanen loses the puck. There's been a few times he has lost the puck by miss handling without much pressure. There's also a few times he tried to handle the puck with one hand on the stick and lost control. I do believe he will get better in this regard as he gets more comfortable, I'm just stating what I think he needs to work on currently.

I disagree with your stance on Nylander and the other "guppies" (like really?). Too much garbage in their for me to tackle...

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

no idea what I just read

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Alright you frozen **** tonight is the night you set you legacy of being clutch in motion for real.
A few clutch goal wont cut it tonight is the real proof.

I expect a breakaway goal.

Goodspeed Kapanen

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Alright you frozen **** tonight is the night you set you legacy of being clutch in motion for real.
A few clutch goal wont cut it tonight is the real proof.

I expect a breakaway goal.

Goodspeed Kapanen

If we need the goals, hopefully Babcock isn't still stuck on the lineups & moves players around. Kapanen only playing 45 sec in the 3rd period of game 4 & just over 7 mins even strength in game 5 is ridiculous. If you don't want the 4th line on, fine, but if we need the goals, make adjustments.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
If we need the goals, hopefully Babcock isn't still stuck on the lineups & moves players around. Kapanen only playing 45 sec in the 3rd period of game 4 & just over 7 mins even strength in game 5 is ridiculous. If you don't want the 4th line on, fine, but if we need the goals, make adjustments.

Yeap hope to see kapanen on matthews and nylander for example marner bozak hyman
Kadri jvr komarov ^^

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeap hope to see kapanen on matthews and nylander for example marner bozak hyman
Kadri jvr komarov ^^
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Boyle - Martin

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen has been catching up to his own foot speed I have noticed. I think he realizes he's THAT fast, and you can tell how he stick handles that he's always thinking of blowing by a guy and going wide.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He has come a long ways since I saw him in the AHL last season. What a top six we are going to have.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Very good playoff series. Kapanen better be back next year in the top 9. Great speed that will be great with more talent.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
his burst of speed is among best of best in the nhl

Yup, I've been saying that for over a year. He's now learning to use his speed. I expect great things from him. I hope he goes down to the Marlies for the playoffs.

burpsalot said:
Jan 29, 2016

"I love Brown's smarts, determination & work ethic but Kapanen has elite skills. He will be one of the fastest in the league when he gets here. He's only 19, once he learns to take advantage of his skills, he will take off."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=112979423&postcount=47

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I thought Kappy was solid throughout with whatever minutes Babcock gave him. Really played well and opened eyes that he wants to be a player.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
What I love about him is he gets engaged. He's not intimidated by size. He's not a perimeter player. He laied out some good hits, stole the puck and pressured. Once he gets a Center who can pass the puck to him, he'll get some nice goals

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It will be interesting to see where he will play next year. If I have to choose, I will slot him with Leo and Kadri. They will be such a huge pest line and by having Kap's speed, the opposing D would think twice about pinching in.
Or have him play with Bozak and see if Kap can score like Phil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad