Confirmed with Link: Kane to Detroit

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Megastar effect on mediocre team. If Yzerman not resign him it was a big mistake to bring him in the first place. Similar effect EK65 had on Sharks .
Like I said before , put him on the same line with Kasper and Danielson, like D&Z were with Holl
I would like to see a new 2 kids and GOAT line too, maybe even two different ones over two years. I agree that Hull had a positive effect during his tenure, I think Kane can too, so could Stammer, but SY cannot afford both without a lot of other painful moves.

Reactions: lilidk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Another late season collapse like the past two seasons. * Ha I kid.

I think it's crappy we're priming ourselves up for a rough two/three months to start the season next year already and will rationalize/back it up as ok as long as they play better the 2nd half of the year with young players. I understand it, but I think it's a junk sell for fans.

I'm not ready to watch another TDL watching Wings sell or not add/no moves. :(

I don't disagree, it's not a fun sell. I'm really hoping Yzerman can make more moves this summer, move a guy like Fabbri, Maata, and Husso out. Get a real goalie. Get a legit upgrade to the top 6. So we fit kids in amongst better talent. I mean, I'll admit, my expectation is probably a lot of folks worst case scenario outside of adding kids, but that's also why my expecations are probably lower than others.

I'm not against making moves, I hope the Wings can make some. But I know a lot of things have to line up really well for us to make the sort of moves we need to make.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean... none of them are stepping into roles that were held by "consistently delivering" veterans. Not sure why inconsistency is this great sin when exhibited by a rookie but par for the course when it's a veteran.

I think the vets are usually at least safe. Some weren't, some were bad more often than not, and I think that's something we were unhappy about a lot around here.

With the kids, I think (hope) their ceilings are collectively higher, but their lows can be lower. It'll help if we can surround them with a little better talent.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I think its safe to call Kane a game breaker. And ya he fell into their lap. And apparently he is gone cuz SY isn't going to pay him. But I agree the roster isn't there for Kane's 3 year time frame. I'd actually bet the Wings don't make the playoffs for the next 3 years. A losing culture feeds itself.

I also doubt SY gave him a serious offer to extend. So back to mediocrity it is lol.
No one has any idea what those conversations have looked like. It's a bit premature to assume anything. It really was a treat to have Kane sign here, reminded me of my late childhood and the late 90s-2000s teams where Detroit was a destination for FA. But really, for all of those mushy middle haters, how much does Kane push the needle for the team? I have no doubt, his presence is great for our young players. But, for me, if it comes down to signing Kane for a couple years OR playing our youth.... I'm trending towards playing the youngsters. That's not to say those are mutually exclusive paths forward, but there are ways to push the rebuild forward without Kane as well.

Reactions: wings95

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Everyone's acting like the offense wasn't top 5 in the league before we signed Kane. Larkin, Raymond, and DeBrincat don't exist I guess?
Can't say things like this then at the same time be alright and blame the free fall at the end of the year on one individual injury. (Larkin)

I'd also say... things will be felt outside of Kane. Gostisbehere is a nice whipping boy, but it'll be hard to say how good the power play is without him specifically next year. He was only one of the best in the entire league... Add losing Kane too possibly and now it's hard to convince most you're actually going to upgrade without a major signing or significant step from a rookie.

Cumulative effect of losing Kane/Gostisbehere/Sprong might mean a lot less offense.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can't say things like this then at the same time be alright and blame the free fall at the end of the year on one individual injury. (Larkin)

I'd also say... things will be felt outside of Kane. Gostisbehere is a nice whipping boy, but it'll be hard to say how good the power play is without him specifically next year. He was only one of the best in the entire league... Add losing Kane too possibly and now it's hard to convince most you're actually going to upgrade without a major signing or significant step from a rookie.

Cumulative effect of losing Kane/Gostisbehere/Sprong might mean a lot less offense.
I would hope that SY plans to bring in some additional help this summer whose name is not Perron, Fischer or Berggren...

If he dosent than his plan needs to be more fairly critiqued I'd say...

This summer is likely the most important of the rebuild...from the RFA signings to making some impactful moves to managing the cap (its not a free for all like last two summers)

Reactions: Snuggs

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah remember when we got him we went on that losing skid in December and everyone was like Kane did this!

His first game was that blown 4-0 lead against San Jose.
Let's be honest. It was not everyone. It was only me. And I got the whole board against me because I said he does fit.
It is the same now. I am the only one who is extremely against bringing him back. I hope Yzerman does not bring him back.
Yzerman should bring someone who is good, real good. 8 mill player.
And one real good energy guy for the bottom 6.

Right coach. One top 6 player. One energy guy for the bottom 6. And we get 95-100 points

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I would hope that SY plans to bring in some additional help this summer whose name is not Perron, Fischer or Berggren...

If he dosent than his plan needs to be more fairly critiqued I'd say...

This summer is likely the most important of the rebuild...from the RFA signings to making some impactful moves to managing the cap (its not a free for all like last two summers)
I think he will. If we can't get Kane back because of term we will have enough money to get help.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I was thinking maybe he was thinking the Sabres, his hometown team. He's at that Modano time of his career, and the Sabres are on the uptick. I thought maybe he was waiting to see who the new coach was, but with Ruff hired, maybe we are in with a chance now.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I was thinking maybe he was thinking the Sabres, his hometown team. He's at that Modano time of his career, and the Sabres are on the uptick. I thought maybe he was waiting to see who the new coach was, but with Ruff hired, maybe we are in with a chance now.
Modano played for Detroit his last season and was garbage, Kane could still be solid player

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The Wings' PP scored at a higher rate with Seider (9.4 GF/60) out there than with Ghost (9.3 GF/60). And every D had a better GF/60 at even strength than Ghost did. Veleno, Kostin, Czarnik and Aston-Reese were the only skaters with a lower GF/60 than Ghost. He is a mirage of empty production that doesn't make up for the goals against he's out there for...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If he thinks Buffalo is closer to a Cup than Detroit, I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska I'd like to show him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh wow captain hindsight... This was the most exciting year as a Red Wings fan since like 2010.

Video game mentality has totally killed the joy of actually watching games an enjoying wins!

Tell me you stat watch and play hockey on Xbox/PlayStation without really saying it. I'm actually going to block you, that opinion is terrible.

If you block over an honest opinion, then say something nonsensical about it being about playing video games, then you probably aren't worth conversing with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad