Kane Saga: Law & Order Episode V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Church of Toews*

wow its amazing how the media went out of there way to crucify him and now ever since more and more doubt has been shed on the accuser its almost as if everyone in the public forgot this even happened

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
wow its amazing how the media went out of there way to crucify him and now ever since more and more doubt has been shed on the accuser its almost as if everyone in the public forgot this even happened

I still here see it here and there, "Kane might be going to jail"but I doubt anyone really thinks that is a possibility now.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Opposing fans will keep reminding us of this. Because that's what they do, look for something to dig at the opponent for.

They hate us cuz they ain't us. Some opposing fans are just salty and wan't to see Kane guilty no matter what. It's trolling/wishful thinking by them. :shakehead

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the hawks/kane would have the backbone to bar CBS personnel from the lockerroom/not to interviews for them. They let their employees spew biased crap all over the airwaves for months.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
With people apparently just bumping this thread now only to post that they think this topic is fading into the woodwork, I don't think this needs to be open right now.

As developments warrant, it may be reopened.

mban

Dec 23, 2014
Toronto
Here's the news:

Graham thinks it's unlikely it'll go to a grand jury (but that's just his prediction).

wafflecones

Sep 16, 2015
Given that Graham's "sources close to the investigation" haven't been off before, I'm guessing that this is more about the speculation that Sedita will close the investigation soon- before or after his election on Tuesday.

It is interesting that interviews were reportedly still occurring last week, they've had nearly three whole months, you'd think they'd have talked to everyone by now. I wonder how much the bag hoax dragged everything out.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I think it's fairly obvious Sedita is dragging out announcing his decision until his election. Kind of shameless, but what can you do.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Three different sources saying this case is expected to be dropped? Finally some good news for Hawks fans.

Curious why some sources say doubts have emerged about the woman's allegations? Is there more proof out there of Kane's innocence, or is this just circling back to a lack of evidence?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the hawks/kane would have the backbone to bar CBS personnel from the lockerroom/not to interviews for them. They let their employees spew biased crap all over the airwaves for months.

And what would this prove? Now that McNeil is gone, The Score only talk about the Hawks when they are in the playoffs.

Not sure what biased crap you are talking about. I appreciated their coverage of this incident and it helped make me more aware of the issues involving rape in our society. They did a good job of talking about keeping sports and athletes in their proper perspective. Kudos to them.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Given that Graham's "sources close to the investigation" haven't been off before, I'm guessing that this is more about the speculation that Sedita will close the investigation soon- before or after his election on Tuesday.

It is interesting that interviews were reportedly still occurring last week, they've had nearly three whole months, you'd think they'd have talked to everyone by now. I wonder how much the bag hoax dragged everything out.

I hope that's sarcasm because Graham's sources were wildly off earlier and were part of what led this case to spiralling out of control with fans/readers jumping the gun and reaching conclusions before the police/DA's office reached any. His sources, or more specifically, his lack of vetting those sources or putting qualifiers ahead of their statements/claims when he printed them (if they had some stake in the outcome and were not just people tied to the police depts, DA's office), highlighted what a mess the media can be in everyone trusting everyone else's sources and assuming each journalist is doing due diligence to present as factually accurate an article using unbiased sources as they can, which leads to a weakest link bringing the whole thing down scenario.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Three different sources saying this case is expected to be dropped? Finally some good news for Hawks fans.

Curious why some sources say doubts have emerged about the woman's allegations? Is there more proof out there of Kane's innocence, or is this just circling back to a lack of evidence?

Umm... did you miss a week or two in late September? The rape kit DNA results were leaked, revealing none of Patrick Kane's DNA on or in her lower body. Then there was the whole evidence bag hoax, which, while perpetrated by her mother (who subsequently lied to the DA about it when asked about it, just that they couldn't file charges about lying to a private citizen [the lawyer]), led the lawyer to resign. He wouldn't had necessarily have resigned if he believed his client had no involvement in the hoax but either he suspected or knew his client had involvement in it and didn't want to be involved in a tainted defense case anymore (the DA said the evidence bag hoax wasn't a crime but if the lawyer tried to submit it as evidence, it would become a crime and he would face charges therein). He did say he still believe her case had merit, but I remember reading, a lawyer, when leaving a case, is required to not undermine their former client for later representation. Just that he ran away from the case as fast as possible once the evidence bag hoax was exposed seemed telling.

Those are the factual parts, the more subjective part is in general, what rape victim tries to have their own rape kit evidence discarded, and add in some of the strange claims made in one place in the Chicago media citing a source which tried to discount the underwear being hers, claims of 5 year old semen, rape kit malfunctions (no one else published that or talked about that except her station, suggesting no one else trusted the credibility of her source or the claims her source were making), and it seems like behavior that you just wouldn't see with a rape victim. Once the DNA results came out, the case started going in very strange directions (one article I think said they'd never seen a case have so many bizarre turns).

And what would this prove? Now that McNeil is gone, The Score only talk about the Hawks when they are in the playoffs.

Not sure what biased crap you are talking about. I appreciated their coverage of this incident and it helped make me more aware of the issues involving rape in our society. They did a good job of talking about keeping sports and athletes in their proper perspective. Kudos to them.

Bernstein and others went on tirades over a span of weeks about this case, essentially assuming Kane were guilty and saying very nasty things not just to his defenders but also to people who tried to be neutral, not wanting to take a position until more evidence was in because he and others felt Graham's sources' information was enough proof for them to convict him and go on a crusade against him, the Blackhawks, and stand up on a soapbox to talk about social issues. Their news reader was also brought on as a legal expert to talk about this. She was the same one who was tweeting those bizarre claims from her sources the week following the DNA results coming out. Their conduct was completely unprofessional and unbecoming of journalists (anyone who reports or talks about news on a platform that officially covers the news). It was some of the nastiest yellow journalism I've seen/heard.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
When I say "circling back to a lack of evidence", I'm referencing a lack of evidence in terms of the case (as a whole) and of the DNA evidence previously leaked.

The way the article was phrased made it seem like there might be even more reasons to doubt the accuser's story other than the info that has been common knowledge for more than a month already.

MR2010

Sep 4, 2015
The way the article was phrased made it seem like there might be even more reasons to doubt the accuser's story other than the info that has been common knowledge for more than a month already.

I think it goes back to what BroadwayJay, a New York criminal defense attorney, said from the beginning - that there was no conceivable reason Kane was not arrested at the time the accusation was made other than doubting the veracity of the complainant.

If this report turns out to be true, I would hope the DA makes a statement regarding the case dismissal as he has had a longstanding position about not making any comment on an ongoing investigation because he believes once an accusation has been made, the accused is forever tainted regardless if the accusation was unfounded.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Now as things appear to be clearing up I wonder how the reporters who were quick to call him a rapist will be treated by Kane when it comes to answering questions. While I think he will take the high road, I would be shocked if he ever went on the score again since of few of their reporters were some of the most out spoken.

I am also interested to see if he talks about that night because during his presser he thought he would.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Now as things appear to be clearing up I wonder how the reporters who were quick to call him a rapist will be treated by Kane when it comes to answering questions. While I think he will take the high road, I would be shocked if he ever went on the score again since of few of their reporters were some of the most out spoken.

I am also interested to see if he talks about that night because during his presser he thought he would.

Even if the DA announces no charges are coming, he will probably have to keep quiet until the anticipated civil suit is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad