Kane Or Marchand?

Who's the better player right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Close but clear Kane for me.

There’s arguments for both sides. Marchand, while overrated defensively, is much better than Kane there and is a great PK’er. Marchand linemates and team is better tho.

Kane is bad defensively but can carry a line offensively.

Kane more valuable to me.

DitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Thanks for clearing this up.

Thought you meant the wrestler for a second...

image118.jpg

wFeLtmTN6h

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks for clearing this up.

Thought you meant the wrestler for a second...

I suppose he did it because else some Seinfeld wannabe would come with the mandatory "Evander Kane comment", you found a way to be funny anyway I suppose.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Kane but I have a heavy anti face licker bias. Freakboy is an amazing player though. I might like him more if he wasn't a Bruin :P

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
They score the same amount. Marchand is better defensively. No argument for Kane here. Just stupid people who formed an opinion 5 years ago and can’t notice that things have changed.

Reactions: JayBeagleFanAccount

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
They score the same amount. Marchand is better defensively. No argument for Kane here. Just stupid people who formed an opinion 5 years ago and can’t notice that things have changed.
Or you know. Marchand plays with line mates that are terrific and have great chemistry. Kanes center has been Ryan Carpenter recently (29 year old who’s never broken 20 points) where as Marchand isn’t even the highest scorer on his own line and plays with Bergeron and Pastrnak. Apples to oranges. Kane currently leads his team in scoring by 19 points, Marchand is 5 points behind Pasta. Last time Kane played significant minutes on a line with someone he had crazy chemistry with, he won the Art Ross by 17 points.

Marchand is better defensively but Kane is still the better offensive player. Not just 5 years ago.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Or you know. Marchand plays with line mates that are terrific and have great chemistry. Kanes center has been Ryan Carpenter recently (29 year old who’s never broken 20 points) where as Marchand isn’t even the highest scorer on his own line and plays with Bergeron and Pastrnak. Apples to oranges. Kane currently leads his team in scoring by 19 points, Marchand is 5 points behind Pasta. Last time Kane played significant minutes on a line with someone he had crazy chemistry with, he won the Art Ross by 17 points.

Marchand is better defensively but Kane is still the better offensive player. Not just 5 years ago.

Yea, I think Marchand might be a bit better due to better defense and being a great SH threat, but Kane is still better offensively. Bruins fans will point to Marchand's PPG over the last 3+ years, but Kane has outscored Marchand every year of their careers but one, which happens to be one of the worst of Kane's career and a clear outlier in the sample, and Kane doesn't play on a stacked line the majority of the time. It's almost equal this year, but Kane has been catching up after a hot start for Marchand and I expect him to pass him by the end of the year.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
It's Kane, shouldn't be a question. Just because the Bruins have been the better team the later part of the decade shouldn't change that Kane is simply better.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Marchand has one more point the last three years in significantly fewer games.

What exactly does Kane do better?

Due to one outlier poor season for Kane, and while playing with significantly better linemates. Coming into this year Kane was top 3 in scoring in 3 of the previous 4 seasons, something Marchand has never done, and the one he didn't was the only season Marchand has ever outscored or outpaced Kane. This year Marchand's only 2 points ahead despite a hot start of unsustainable percentages and playing with a guy pacing for near 60 goals, and given their trends, Kane will probably finish the year with at least 5 points on him. Marchand might be a better all around player, but he's not better offensively

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Due to one outlier poor season for Kane, and while playing with significantly better linemates. Coming into this year Kane was top 3 in scoring in 3 of the previous 4 seasons, something Marchand has never done, and the one he didn't was the only season Marchand has ever outscored or outpaced Kane. This year Marchand's only 2 points ahead despite a hot start of unsustainable percentages and playing with a guy pacing for near 60 goals, and given their trends, Kane will probably finish the year with at least 5 points on him. Marchand might be a better all around player, but he's not better offensively

Over the last 4 seasons Marchand has been right at the top of the league and pretty darn consistent.

Marchand

16/17 - 1.06 PPG
17/18 - 1.25 PPG
18/19 - 1.27 PPG
19/20 - 1.27 PPG

Kane

16/17 - 1.09 PPG
17/18 - 0.93 PPG
18/19 - 1.36 PPG
19/20 - 1.24 PPG

Over that time frame he's 4th in total points and 3rd in points/game. He also has 44 points in 42 playoff games (1.05 PPG). He's one of the leagues best offensive players... and his game isn't defined simply by his offense. No he doesn't have the 10+ year track record of Patrick Kane. He will not go down as a better player when all is said and done. Right now....

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Everyone brining up Marchand's teammates but have we considered that Marchand is the reason his teammates score so much?

I adore Patrice Bergeron, but he didn't break 68 points (since 2007) until Marchand broke out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad