K'Andre Miller or Jacob Bernard-Docker + Johnny Tychonick?

K'Andre Miller vs Jacob Bernard-Docker + Johnny Tychonick

• Total voters

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
At the tail end of the first round of the 2018 draft, the Ottawa Senators dealt the 22nd overall to the New York Rangers for the 26th + 48th overall selections.

The Rangers drafted K'Andre Miller (LD), a big, strong DMan from the USNDP who was set to join U of Wisconsin for the 2018-2019 season, at 22nd overall. So far, Miller has thrived in UoW, posting 7 points in his first 6 games. This is good for 2nd amongst DMen and 6th overall on his team. He is also a team-leading +9.

The Senators drafted Jacob Bernard-Docker (RD), from the AJHL, 22nd overall, and Johnny Tychonick (LD), from the BCHL, 48th overall. Both are approximately 6'0 and 180 lb. Both players headed to U. of North Dakota for the 2018-2019 seasons - Bernard-Docker has dressed every game, playing on the first and second pairings. He has posted 2 points in 5 games - tied for 6th on the team. Tychonick was a healthy scratch in U of ND's first game, but has played on the 2nd and 3rd pairings since, dressing for 4 games.

As a Sens fan, I really liked the move at the time and still do, but Miller has been incredible to start his college career and he seems to have a level of upside that the other two guys don't quite possess (which is no knock against either guy - Miller is a pure athlete).

So, if you had the choice between K'Andre Miller (22nd ov 2018) or Jacob Bernard-Docker (22nd ov 2018) and Johnny Tychonick (48th ov 2018) today, who would you choose?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I was "meh" about the trade, but once they picked Miller I was excited because a lot of people seemed to think he had huge potential, despite being raw. So, I was then okay with it all.

Having now watched Miller a couple times, it just seems like he's so explosive, and already has a pretty good grasp on how to play his position. Certainly early, but those early returns make me think the sky is the limit for the kid. I couldn't be happier to have him in the system.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
K'Andre Miller is the kind of defenceman I like, big, strong, fast, good skater with skill & Ottawa could use some size, skill & toughness on the left side. And with the emergence of Chabot & Lajoie I would be elated that when Miller comes out of school to have him for that 3rd pairing D on the left side that would give Ottawa three very good left shot D. By the time Miller is out of school Ottawa would have had the time to make a decision on Boro whether to retain him or move on, same for Harpur.

I didn't know much about either Docker or Tychonik at the time but didn't want Tychonik. Docker could be a very good NHL defenceman someday, he looks like a cerebral player to me & has decent size & skill & Ottawa needs that on the right side. I think of the three Miller is the better all around D & ranked higher but given EK was on the trading block they had a need to draft another right shot D to have in their system. Tough call really, a better player or a greater need?

As it stands now, I would look to deal Wolanin for Miller whereby the Rangers would get a good young NHL ready left shot defenceman right now. Ottawa would get a prospect who is bigger, stronger & tougher than Wolanin & who could be a yr or two away & who can also play forward & create a solid left side on D.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Where's the option for "Strangest Poll I've Ever Seen"?

I dunno, I think it is interesting and kind of intuitive. In the average draft, I'd suspect the 26th + 48th overall picks bring in way more value than the 22nd overall does. In this case, however, the Rangers obviously felt that Miller was valued way higher than the average 22nd overall whereas the Sens seemingly felt as though the discrepancy in talent between 22 to 26 was easily worth an additional mid/late 2nd. After a few games in college, Miller certainly seems to be the high-end prospect the Rangers staff projected him as, but Tychonick and JBD are both solid too. The fact that they are all college DMen makes them slightly easier to compare (although college production is voodoo).

Basically, if given the chance between what NYR ended up with from the trade (22nd = Miller) and what Ottawa ended up with from the trade (26 = JBD + 48 = Tychonick), which would you choose?

EDIT: Also, lol at a user named "24 users" liking that post. Great name.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Seen JBD a few times live and not impressed. I don’t see an NHLer there.

I would love to have Miller in the Leafs system, he is exactly the guy we need to add to our blueline if he pans out.

Not a hard decision for me.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Weird poll
I actually really, really liked Tychonick pre-draft. Iirc I think I had him at 16 and Miller at 15.
Miller has grown even more on me though, he has top pairing dman written all over him, he’s been amazing this year with 7 points in 6 games along with good defense.

I haven’t had a chance to keep up with Tychonick and JBD though. I see Tychonick is pointless in 4 games and JBD has 2 in 5. How have they done aside from points if anyone’s watched them this year?

Also, voted Miller but kinda regret that just because I haven’t seen Tychonick/JBD play this year

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
K'Andre Miller is the kind of defenceman I like, big, strong, fast, good skater with skill & Ottawa could use some size, skill & toughness on the left side. And with the emergence of Chabot & Lajoie I would be elated that when Miller comes out of school to have him for that 3rd pairing D on the left side that would give Ottawa three very good left shot D. By the time Miller is out of school Ottawa would have had the time to make a decision on Boro whether to retain him or move on, same for Harpur.

I didn't know much about either Docker or Tychonik at the time but didn't want Tychonik. Docker could be a very good NHL defenceman someday, he looks like a cerebral player to me & has decent size & skill & Ottawa needs that on the right side. I think of the three Miller is the better all around D & ranked higher but given EK was on the trading block they had a need to draft another right shot D to have in their system. Tough call really, a better player or a greater need?

As it stands now, I would look to deal Wolanin for Miller whereby the Rangers would get a good young NHL ready left shot defenceman right now. Ottawa would get a prospect who is bigger, stronger & tougher than Wolanin & who could be a yr or two away & who can also play forward & create a solid left side on D.
The last thing the Rangers need right now is an NHL/near NHL ready dman, especially LHD.
We currently have
Hajek
Rykov
Lindgren
Bigras
Crawley
All a year away from being NHL ready. Hajek/Lindgren are pretty much NHL ready by the TDL. Then we have Skjei/Smith/Staal locked up for a few years as well.
Miller works because he’s a long term project

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The last thing the Rangers need right now is an NHL/near NHL ready dman, especially LHD.
We currently have
Hajek
Rykov
Lindgren
Bigras
Crawley
All a year away from being NHL ready. Hajek/Lindgren are pretty much NHL ready by the TDL. Then we have Skjei/Smith/Staal locked up for a few years as well.
Miller works because he’s a long term project
I agree with your general point that an NHL-ready defenseman is not something the Rangers really need right now. And the first three on your list definitely fit the bill. Bigras (who I like) may or may not be an NHL defenseman, but is not in the same class as those others, IMO. And despite having 4 points in his last 2 games or whatever, I think Crawley is a career AHL player. I was half-expecting him to spend time in the ECHL this year.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I agree with your general point that an NHL-ready defenseman is not something the Rangers really need right now. And the first three on your list definitely fit the bill. Bigras (who I like) may or may not be an NHL defenseman, but is not in the same class as those others, IMO. And despite having 4 points in his last 2 games or whatever, I think Crawley is a career AHL player. I was half-expecting him to spend time in the ECHL this year.
Crawley could be a good bottom pairing guy. He’s looked good in this and last years preseason and plays with an edge. If anything I could see him be a solid 7D

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this is similar to detroit trading Chychrun for Cholowski+Hronek (there were other moving parts of the trade, but this is the meat and potatoes)

IMO in most cases, the difference in prospects from the mid 20s-40s isn't much.

I do think in this case of Miller has great potential, from what I understand he hasnt been playing Defense long but has all the physical tools to be a great NHLer.

Honestly dont know much about JBD so cant really vote

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It’s close but I voted Tychonik and JBD

Miller would be the better defender of the 3 should he reach his ceiling but if Tychonik and JBD pan out I’ll take a top 4 LD and RD

I also wanted both of them and it was pure poetry Ottawa scooped them BOTH with the Rangers picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad