Prospect Info: Kalem Parker D, 181st overall, 2023 NHL Draft

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm guessing his team is terrible, because he's a -97 in the WHL over 3 seasons.

*edit* Nope, he's team worst two years running (2nd worst in the one he "lost").

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm guessing his team is terrible, because he's a -97 in the WHL over 3 seasons.

*edit* Nope, he's team worst two years running (2nd worst in the one he "lost").
Could just mean he's plays alot of key iceminutes for a bad team. I haven't looked any deeper but when I hear extreme +/- ratings, thats the first thought that comes to mind,

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Could just mean he's plays alot of key iceminutes for a bad team. I haven't looked any deeper but when I hear extreme +/- ratings, thats the first thought that comes to mind,
I'm sure that's a big part of it, but I also know there are some + players on those teams. They are a bad team, though, and I won't blame him entirely for his +/-, which I consider a poor stat anyway. It just stood out to me immediately.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
"Parker’s game is built around his skating. He’s one of the best skating defensemen in the WHL, showing great 4-way mobility. On the breakout and in transition, he’s great at using his skating to escape and beat F1. He can change direction easily and he explodes well into open space to carry the puck with ease. On defensive zone puck retrievals, we’d love to see him use more deception in his skating and stickhandling."

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I did a little more reading about him. I've read that he projects as a stay-at-home defender. Strange, given his point totals, skating ability, and his propensity to join the rush. He also, apparently, likes to play a physical, hard hitting game. He took his team's hardest match-up assignments, and that is probably the largest contributor to his terrible +/-.

I'm not sure what to make of this kid, there's so much conflicting information out there. He sounds like he might be an offensive defenseman in the Dumba vein, who was asked to play a shutdown role he wasn't suited for. Or maybe he's actually more of a two-way defenseman and is being mislabeled by scouts. Looking forward to seeing him play so I can figure that out for myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad