Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Svech is so, so underrated.

Man.

The guy drove xG better AT THE AGE OF 18 than every other player in the NHL. Like i don't understand how he could possibly be losing a poll to a guy whos never played an NHL game. I'm a huge Kakko fan too, but come on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beer Down

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

Man.

The guy drove xG better AT THE AGE OF 18 than every other player in the NHL. Like i don't understand how he could possibly be losing a poll to a guy whos never played an NHL game. I'm a huge Kakko fan too, but come on.

Ekblad had an amazing rookie season. So I guess you wouldn't have taken McDavid over him in 2015 either?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If you really believe thats the same thing, there's no reason to have this conversation lmao.

Its the most extreme example but exactly the same argument though. Only because player A is proven in the NHL it doesn't mean player B can't be better. Also, Svechnikovs advanced stats may look very good, but his basic point totals were not even that impressive this year.

Reactions: Ukki

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Its the most extreme example but exactly the same argument though. Only because player A is proven in the NHL it doesn't mean player B can't be better. Also, Svechnikovs advanced stats may look very good, but his basic point totals were not even that impressive this year.

I wonder if that has anything to do with deployment, role, usage and what he was asked to work on? As with everything, context helps. The answer for this poll is Svechnikov.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I wonder if that has anything to do with deployment, role, usage and what he was asked to work on? As with everything, context helps. The answer for this poll is Svechnikov.
Yes, it does.
I would be shocked if Svech doesn't get put with Aho this upcoming season. I would also be shocked if he doesn't put up 60 plus points.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Going with the shinier toy here.

Man.

Didn't the majority of the Canes' roster have stupid good advanced stats because they throw everything and the kitchen sink on net? Not taking anything away from him, but that should account for something.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Man.

As much as HF can be annoying at times by favoring potential vs actuals - i'm starting to find posts like these (the bolded) just as annoying. They're 2nd overall picks (likely, unless Kakko goes 1st) 1 year apart. "a guy who has never played an NHL game" is a bit much. it's not like we're comparing Hughes to Crosby here...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
new-is-always-better.gif

This is Svech by a clear margin for me, though Kakko's amazing in his own right. Svech v Hughes would certainly be closer, but I lean Svech there as well.
This poll shows, that there are way more Rangers and Finnish fans on the forum, than Carolina and Russian ones...

So who are German Colorado fans supposed to vote for? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivan13

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Going with the shinier toy here.

Didn't the majority of the Canes' roster have stupid good advanced stats because they throw everything and the kitchen sink on net? Not taking anything away from him, but that should account for something.

xG and CF (shot attempts aka "throwing everything and the kitchen sink") are completely different statistics.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think this is a lot closer than a lot of people would say it is. In 6 years time, I wouldn't be surprised to see the two players producing at about the same clip. The difference maker for me would be playing styles and I'd give an edge to the new shiny toy.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
As much as HF can be annoying at times by favoring potential vs actuals - i'm starting to find posts like these (the bolded) just as annoying. They're 2nd overall picks (likely, unless Kakko goes 1st) 1 year apart. "a guy who has never played an NHL game" is a bit much. it's not like we're comparing Hughes to Crosby here...

Comparing them is fine, even preferring Kakko is fine. Nowhere in my post said that's not okay.

All I'm saying is Svechnikov had an elite season even though the points weren't there. His underlying stats scream "produces more individual chances than any other player in hockey"..... AT 18. To me it would be crazy knowing what we know today and taking Kakko. Without hesitation, I'd take him over any other forward drafted since Matthews.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very close. I'll go with Kakko due to him potentially playing center in the NHL, but there's near no separation between the two as a winger. I think Kakko potentially playing center gives him more value.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think it's unfair for Svechnikov that Kakko wins here. Kakko is probably the best finnish prospect ever. Yes, better than Laine, Barkov, Selänne etc.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This poll shows that people think Kakko is better than Svechnikov, and rightfully so.

Man, I can say Svechnikov is 10 times player, than Kakko is, and you won't make me change my mind, no matter how hard you try. And the only people, who'd vote for Kakko on a similar poll on any Russsian site, are probably Ukrainian trolls i.e. about 0.1%...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Comparing them is fine, even preferring Kakko is fine. Nowhere in my post said that's not okay.

All I'm saying is Svechnikov had an elite season even though the points weren't there. His underlying stats scream "produces more individual chances than any other player in hockey"..... AT 18. To me it would be crazy knowing what we know today and taking Kakko. Without hesitation, I'd take him over any other forward drafted since Matthews.

Over Pettersson? You can't mean that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad