• Laine

Votes: 108 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Tough call. Probably go with laine. Hard to vote against a 20 year old that has 110 goals in three seasons (even performing not well this season).

Wouldn't blame anyone for picking kakko though.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Still too early to tell. I think Kakko is a much more well rounded talent but Laine has already proven he can be an elite winger, even though he has been far from it this specific season.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Give me Laine because he's already an established player in the NHL

Kakko is a good mystery box, but that's exactly what he is - a mystery box. He could totally bust for all we know...

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Pre draft, would be laine for me. But 3rd season laine vs pre draft kaakko? Kaako.

I dont even recognize laine as a player anymore. He cant even hold on to the puck. Unless he starts looking like the player he was/on trajectory to become its kaako...

Hard to post against a guy with 100+ goals in the nhl vs an unproven guy but thats how bad i understand laine to have become this season.

Even strength goals and points laine so far each season.

16-17. 27g 50 p
17-18. 24g 39 p
18-19. 15g 27 p

Minutes played.
16-17 = 1,106 min
17-18 = 1,104 min
18-19 = 1,097 min

Guy has regressed haaard at even strength with barely over half his rookie production this season. Lol.

So based on that development id be willing to bet on kaako.

Reactions: flamesforcup

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Uh, the guy who's in the NHL. Every other answer is wrong. As a prospect I like Kakko more, but come on.

Your logic is off. How about Milan Lucic or Kakko? Lucic is in the NHL right? If Laine was doing well I would understand what you are saying but with the season he is having.. It’s actually impressive how he keeps regressing every year in the league.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Your logic is off. How about Milan Lucic or Kakko? Lucic is in the NHL right? If Laine was doing well I would understand what you are saying but with the season he is having.. It’s actually impressive how he keeps regressing every year in the league.
Okay. The guy who's a good young player in the NHL. I don't know how you can say that he's regressing every year when he just had a career year last season.

I can start linking you a list of players who've had good season, then bad season (s) and then amazing seasons. My point being that if Laine's shitty season has him scoring 30 goals then who cares? MacKinnon went downhill all the way until last year after his rookie season. This stuff ain't linear.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Okay. The guy who's a good young player in the NHL. I don't know how you can say that he's regressing every year when he just had a career year last season.

I can start linking you a list of players who've had good season, then bad season (s) and then amazing seasons. My point being that if Laine's ****ty season has him scoring 30 goals then who cares? MacKinnon went downhill all the way until last year after his rookie season. This stuff ain't linear.

Well from what I can remember Mackinnon still played pretty well. His shooting % was just really low compared to what it is now.

And I think Laine in his first year was way better than last year. He scored in so many different ways and actually controlled play. Last year he started to turn into a one trick pony. This year it’s even worse.

Obviously he can still fix things but I feel like there is plenty of reason for concern and thus picking Kakko over him isn’t ridiculous at all.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Well from what I can remember Mackinnon still played pretty well. His shooting % was just really low compared to what it is now.

And I think Laine in his first year was way better than last year. He scored in so many different ways and actually controlled play. Last year he started to turn into a one trick pony. This year it’s even worse.

Obviously he can still fix things but I feel like there is plenty of reason for concern and thus picking Kakko over him isn’t ridiculous at all.
A bit like Laine's S% is just lower now than it was first two seasons? I think your assessment is absurd and I don't agree with your takes about his play at all. Goodbye.

Reactions: Psych0dad

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
D33CFC2C-A61E-4464-ADA5-5C15C6DB3158.png
9AC820F8-8C0C-4941-B921-20E4A62B99B6.png
A bit like Laine's S% is just lower now than it was first two seasons? I think your assessment is absurd and I don't agree with your takes about his play at all. Goodbye.

Laine is only good on the powerplay. Didn’t use to be the case. Even if his s% goes up he is still only good on the powerplay. Kakko can actually play hockey at even strength which is pretty important.

But yeah I don’t feel like arguing either. Let’s hope next year Laine can get back to what he once was.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
Uh, the guy who's in the NHL. Every other answer is wrong. As a prospect I like Kakko more, but come on.
I agree. I'd much rather have Tobias Rieder, a guy who's already made it to the NHL level, than some mystery box. Prospects are virtually worthless when being compared to guys ALREADY in the NHL.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

MacKinnon did not play well and changed his style of play when Duchene left. He tried same plays time after time and hit his head constantly on the wall for couple of seasons. His speed was his only weapon and teams knew how to play against him after rookie season. In the previous season he exploded and started to use his IQ in addition with his speed instead of just 100% skating and then lose puck when he was alone. That made him multidimensional threat. Right now he is great puck moving C who is excellent at making quick plays and has elite explosiveness.

Main for reason why Nate exploded is figuring multiple ways to make plays and using mainly his incredible IQ. He looked like average IQ player for couple of seasons after his rookie year when i watched him. I was like this guy is physically extremely gifted average IQ player because he kept pushing same and same plays.

If Laine wants to explode like Nate he needs to figure out more ways to play the game.

Reactions: Ippenator

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
The real difference in the post you quoted isn't about the shooting% part but the "still played pretty well" part, can't say that about Laine this season.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
View attachment 209175 View attachment 209173

Laine is only good on the powerplay. Didn’t use to be the case. Even if his s% goes up he is still only good on the powerplay. Kakko can actually play hockey at even strength which is pretty important.

But yeah I don’t feel like arguing either. Let’s hope next year Laine can get back to what he once was.

It all depends what you value for and what is important to you. For some team being good at PP may be irrelevant (having inferior PP anyways), for the other team it may be the most important thing/missing link to get the cup..

The league is full of great hockey players. You can't say same about lethal PP shooters. There is always demand and there is solution for the special need. Some areas are much difficult to obtain than others.

For example Ovechkin was better player before for sure, but last year he made 100% of his postseason goals at PP. He was still damn important wont you think.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Main issue I have with laine is his compete level. Kakko seems the opposite. Can't wait to see him in the NHL. Hopefully for the Avs:)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I went with Kakko but I think I could be falling for the good old HfBoards recency bias with Laine having an off-year which is normal for a 20 year old.

Going by how they looked in Liiga I like Kakko more overall but Laine's goal scoring was game changing and he willed Tappara into winning the title with his shot

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Right now I'd bet on Kakko, even if he's a prospect.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Kakko will be better in the long run.

Laine might have had greater potential initially but the development's not been nearly as good as expected.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Kakko. Laine is way too inconsistent, doesn't seem to be able to generate his own offense, basically just a PP star and doesn't play defense. Kappo might not have the shot but he's better in every other area.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Laine isn’t looking that good. Unless he scores tonight looks like 30/20 year for him pretty underwhelming but he can bounce back if he trains hard In the offseason though. Probably vote Laine because he probably signs a 1 year deal to prove hisself. I can see a big year from him next year.

Never seen the other kid play but to be better than Laine he’s gotta be a good puck carrier and do something else well. Whether it’s score goals, playmaking or 2 way play. And Laine also has to remain a 50 point player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad