Kaigorodov to play in Ottawa?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What I heard on the team1200 this morning was that he'll come to training camp, but if he doesn't make the team he'll head back to Russia.

That's what was stated in the article as well.

Makes sense from his perspective. Why play in Binghamton when you can play for Metallurg?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That's what was stated in the article as well.

Makes sense from his perspective. Why play in Binghamton when you can play for Metallurg?

I wonder if this means that he won't sign a contract until he knows if he makes the team or not? Or, will Ottawa sign him, and release him if he wishes to go back.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wonder if this means that he won't sign a contract until he knows if he makes the team or not? Or, will Ottawa sign him, and release him if he wishes to go back.
I guess he won't sign at all until he's got a place, that would be the logical way to go about it. It'll mean he won't be held over there, and no contract mess to deal with if he goes back to Russia.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I think that players can sign a contract that allow them to go back to Europe if they don't make the team. I would assume that he would sign one of those before camp.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I think that players can sign a contract that allow them to go back to Europe if they don't make the team. I would assume that he would sign one of those before camp.

I really don't think entry-level players CAN anymore. As far as I know, under the new CBA, there's only one type of entry-level contract, and that's a 3-year 2-way NHL-AHL affair. Once you sign an entry-level contract in the NHL, you're here in North America for the duration. Since he's over 20, he's not even eligible for the "play less than ten games and have it not-count as a year of service" clause.

I heard that on Team1200 this morning too, and the first thing I said was "I don't think that works." As far as I know, he can't sign and then go to Europe (unless he pulls a Yashin - I mean, he would be contractually obligatred to stay with Ottawa or Bingo, and going back to Europe would be a breach of contract).

The Fuhr*

I really don't think entry-level players CAN anymore. As far as I know, under the new CBA, there's only one type of entry-level contract, and that's a 3-year 2-way NHL-AHL affair. Once you sign an entry-level contract in the NHL, you're here in North America for the duration. Since he's over 20, he's not even eligible for the "play less than ten games and have it not-count as a year of service" clause.

I heard that on Team1200 this morning too, and the first thing I said was "I don't think that works." As far as I know, he can't sign and then go to Europe (unless he pulls a Yashin - I mean, he would be contractually obligatred to stay with Ottawa or Bingo, and going back to Europe would be a breach of contract).

I am sure he has an agrrement with Muckler that if Kaigs does not make the Sens that he can go back to Russia.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I am sure he has an agrrement with Muckler that if Kaigs does not make the Sens that he can go back to Russia.

Didnt this happen with a Russian prospect with the Leafs a few years ago? He ended up going back overseas after being cut, then was traded to the Rangers? Was it Immonen?

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Didnt this happen with a Russian prospect with the Leafs a few years ago? He ended up going back overseas after being cut, then was traded to the Rangers? Was it Immonen?

probably Kondratiev, and I don't think he went back, he only threatened to. he's a Duck property now, was traded away from Manhattan for Petr Sykora. I think this season he's going back for sure, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad