Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle Part III (Traded to Oil Kings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I love Eddy, but he never had Guhle number in JNR. Even if Guhle is not a futur 50 pts + in the NHL, he still have some offence in him that Eddy doesn't have
No question. But he is not the messiah that so many see Guhle as. He'll play in the NHL for the next decade and be a core player on a franchise that solely needs talent, depth and leadership. But he will never be more than a strong 3-4 defenceman who can log important minutes, bring a physical element and chip in some offence. Not bad for a 16 OA pick. Let's hope our fan base doesn't throw him under the bus when he fails to meet their exaggerated expectations of this fine prospect.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
My boy Guhle is similar to Brodin in style. Limited offense but able to move the puck while playing excellent defensively. More physical as well which is always a plus.

We've got a good one on our hands.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
My boy Guhle is similar to Brodin in style. Limited offense but able to move the puck while playing excellent defensively. More physical as well which is always a plus.

We've got a good one on our hands.

Good, but he's in the Edmundson/Chiarot mold. He'll probably be better but he's unlikely to be the elite PMD/quarterback/minute eater they need. They need a real #1.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Good, but he's in the Edmundson/Chiarot mold. He'll probably be better but he's unlikely to be the elite PMD/quarterback/minute eater they need. They need a real #1.
Not totally in their mold given his outstanding skating. More like Brodin or Lindholm.

Sure he's more defensively gifted than what a lot of people would like but it's not like it's a bad thing. Not sure why people are upset about having an excellent skating, very good first pass defenseman that can log huge minutes for years to come....oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

Reactions: dcyhabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's absolutely going to be a minute eater, when Guhle is on the ice, you're not going to be in trouble a lot of the time. It will also give space for offensive players to do more because Guhle can eat up so much ice with his skating/reach.

He's not a #1, but he certainly can be a top pairing defenseman.. there's not a whole lot of Hedman's in the NHL.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Power demonstrated what a top pairing defenceman looks like: he controlled the play most of the time he was on the ice. As I have been saying since the start of the season, Guhle will be a strong 3 to 4 defenceman in the NHL. Nothing wrong with that. But to consider him a top pairing defenceman is an overestimation of his potential. He lacks the dynamism.
That is not his role on this WJC team...

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
See I see him like a more physical Vlasic.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I equate 'real' #1 defencemen to quarterbacks in their importance to a team's success in their respective sports. The late great GM of the New York Football Giants, George Young, once famously said, 'There are two types of NFL teams: those with a franchise quarterback and those looking for one. The Canadiens are still looking for their franchise quarterback.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Mercer is way better value then, and taken after him. Just sayin.
Disagree, mercer is a winger and will likely end up a 2nd line winger when it all is said and done. 2nd line winger value is less then that of a top 4 D

with the caveat that I thought he's a winger, but his profile is showing he plays both center and wing? is that true?

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Disagree, mercer is a winger and will likely end up a 2nd line winger when it all is said and done. 2nd line winger value is less then that of a top 4 D

with the caveat that I thought he's a winger, but his profile is showing he plays both center and wing? is that true?
No Mercer will be a C. He's a strong 200 ft player. Likely a 2C is what he tops out as. I believe he's playing 3C for the Devils right now.

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

not a winger..... matter fact hes already playing center for them

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

He actually plays both in NJ.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Reactions: Gravity

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The main flaw in Guhle’s game per a recent take by a scout on 91.9 FM is that he’s not creative with the puck but makes a great first pass. His shutdown ability and meanness make him a throwback.

Assuming he were to rise to the level of a first pairing D, what kind of D partner might be optimal for him?

I’m thinking that for someone as defensively aware as Guhle is, you might be able to exploit a D partner who has a strong offensive game but who might be lacking somewhat on the defensive side of things, on the theory that Ghule can cover for him.

Reasonable assumption?

I agree with that scout. I think Norlinder would be a very good fit for him as he needs someone that can cover for his defensive mistakes.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He's absolutely going to be a minute eater, when Guhle is on the ice, you're not going to be in trouble a lot of the time. It will also give space for offensive players to do more because Guhle can eat up so much ice with his skating/reach.

He's not a #1, but he certainly can be a top pairing defenseman.. there's not a whole lot of Hedman's in the NHL.
Agree…..he isn’t gonna bring Chabot numbers but he’ll bring some offense while manning that top pairing.

A really good Komisarek that can actually drop the gloves and that doesn’t need to be carried like Komi did with Markov.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The main flaw in Guhle’s game per a recent take by a scout on 91.9 FM is that he’s not creative with the puck but makes a great first pass. His shutdown ability and meanness make him a throwback.

Assuming he were to rise to the level of a first pairing D, what kind of D partner might be optimal for him?

I’m thinking that for someone as defensively aware as Guhle is, you might be able to exploit a D partner who has a strong offensive game but who might be lacking somewhat on the defensive side of things, on the theory that Ghule can cover for him.

Reasonable assumption?
Jiricek or Nemec!!!:naughty:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Reasonable assumption?

i think it's too early to pidgeonhole him. While he's not going to be a Karlsson or Hughes caliber offensive dynamo from the back end, there are quite a few elite top-pairing dmen that had similar tool sets (and limitations) to Ghule coming out of juniors who continued to improve their offensive games (or at least aspects of their offensive games) to eventually be considered elite all-around #1 dmen... Shea Weber a very good example of just that (he was considerably less productive offensively in the WHL in his draft year than Ghule was in his).

Ideally, he does progress that way and becomes the kind of top-pairing dman who elevates his partner, period. If he stagnates in his overall improvement curve and ends up more of a Robyn Regher type that is fantastic defensively but very limited offensively, then sure... a complimentary pairing with a mobile offensively minded dman might end up his best shot at playing top-pairing minutes.

Personally, based on the (granted limited) game footage i've seen of him + the kind of scouting reports about his approach to the game/work ethic/attitude, I'd be more inclined to wager that he's got a great chance at becoming a #1 dman, one whose game doesn't fully mature to 2-way high impact until his mid-20's.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nobody accused Weber of offensive dynamics but he did develop a cannon and used it liberally.

I see Guhle doing the same and far better skating.

What i didn't like is his not sticking to the basics. I think he tried too hard to be physical and not enough offensivly. I don't know if they are self coached in a short tourney so he may have taken that route to stand out. He better not do that in the NHL....which i assume would get his ears boxed if he tried.

Keep it simple.......

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad