Kadri's next contract.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I love when people on here assume everyone is looking out for the best interest of the leafs.

kadri's people will try to maximize his term and dollars.

there are players in the leafs that got long term deals off one good year, and players who got long term ELC's.

is it a risk to give kadri $ 5 mil a year to UFA, but that's the cost of doing business. if he is low balled what message does that send to the fans? imagine we make the playoffs, riding a wave, asks next year one of our top contributors is on the sidelines? terrible PR for a team that has been a disgrace for nearly a decade.

the end result would likely be the same as oreilly. someone offer sheets kadri, and we match and pay him what he is actually worth. might as well send the message that kadri is our guy, and we want to reward him for his hard work.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I love when people on here assume everyone is looking out for the best interest of the leafs.

kadri's people will try to maximize his term and dollars.

there are players in the leafs that got long term deals off one good year, and players who got long term ELC's.

is it a risk to give kadri $ 5 mil a year to UFA, but that's the cost of doing business. if he is low balled what message does that send to the fans? imagine we make the playoffs, riding a wave, asks next year one of our top contributors is on the sidelines? terrible PR for a team that has been a disgrace for nearly a decade.

the end result would likely be the same as oreilly. someone offer sheets kadri, and we match and pay him what he is actually worth. might as well send the message that kadri is our guy, and we want to reward him for his hard work.

Most players get bridge contracts, if you break it down I'm sure it would be something like 5-10% of players get a long term deal coming off their ELC.

I'm sure most people would consider a 2 year $3.5-$4M offer a pretty fair offer.

We aren't talking league minimum here.

Kadri could end up making more money at the end of the day if his play progresses, likely looking 8 years @ $ 7M+.

Bridge contracts usually work out to be win-win, that's why they are more common.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You have to compare players with elite level skill who look like they will finish top 10 in scoring in their contract year.

You cant compare some plug on the 4th line who got a 2 year deal and say thats the same as the Kadri situation.

Kessel is probably the best comparison and we paid him what we did. Kadri should and likely will get the same.

SidKadri*

It's hard not to pay the kid. He deserves a bonus for having Wilson waste 2 years of his pro career.

I feel he should sue the Leafs management for not having him play the damn season he dominated that training cup. Development my ass. Kadri was already a star player and could have taken the Leafs to the playoffs...DAMMIT

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You have to compare players with elite level skill who look like they will finish top 10 in scoring in their contract year.

You cant compare some plug on the 4th line who got a 2 year deal and say thats the same as the Kadri situation.

Kessel is probably the best comparison and we paid him what we did. Kadri should and likely will get the same.

You also have to factor in that Kadri is a 22-year old player, with at most, 48 games of high quality play.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Kadri's Next Contract?

What does he get? Does he get a bridge? Or a 5 year deal?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
One year bridging contract at $5 million IMO. If he repeats again, drop an 8 year-big money contract on his ass.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
id think a 2-3 year bridge first, yes he has proven that he is well on his way to becoming elite, but you have to take this season with a grain of salt. if you were just looking at production it is a no brainer to give him a 5 year or something like that, I dont think the term really matters, i think the dollar value is going to be the difficult thing to evaluate. Long term I think its safe to say that he will be a 70-80 ppg type player which would warrant a 5x5 type deal. But this season is interesting because he really hasnt "struggled" offensively at all besides an odd 1-2 game stretch. If (unlikely) he does get a bridge and he keeps up similar production next year and shows the same level of consistency, i can see him getting a huge term deal after that.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
One year bridging contract at $5 million IMO. If he repeats again, drop an 8 year-big money contract on his ass.

I dont think it would be a 1 year, he could easily be lost to ufa that way

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I dont think it would be a 1 year, he could easily be lost to ufa that way

I don't think he'll leave. If he establishes himself as a premier centre, I have no problem forking over the money to pay him as a #1 centre.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I don't think he'll leave. If he establishes himself as a premier centre, I have no problem forking over the money to pay him as a #1 centre.

it has nothing to do with that really, its just that you would never give that 1 year contract after the ELC like that when he is having this breakout year. 1 years are more for older players where management isn't sold on a certain value, or if the player isn't in immediate plans/more of a plug imo

SportsProsperity

Jun 26, 2012
I don't see how it can't be a bridge contract. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a fluke but with that said the Leafs shouldn't give Kadri a 8 year deal with one successfull lockout shortened season. It needs to be a 1-3 year contract, followed by a 8 year contract if he repeats his success.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
it has nothing to do with that really, its just that you would never give that 1 year contract after the ELC like that when he is having this breakout year. 1 years are more for older players where management isn't sold on a certain value, or if the player isn't in immediate plans/more of a plug imo

I honestly think he gets 2-4 year deal.

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto

No way he signs a ONE year deal his agent simply would not allow that to happen. I think he'll sign 2-3 years $3.5-$5 million/season (more than likely on the high end see Ryan O'reilly.

If I had to guess I'd say 3 years 4.25/season. This way the Leafs still control him and if he proves his worth in the next three years then we'll have no problem breaking the bank for his services on a long term deal.

Of course the playoffs can change everything. If he goes nuts like he did in junior then the sky might be the limit ;)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I don't see how it can't be a bridge contract. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a fluke but with that said the Leafs shouldn't give Kadri a 8 year deal with one successfull lockout shortened season. It needs to be a 1-3 year contract, followed by a 8 year contract if he repeats his success.

i REALLY hate the 8 years, theres to many examples of where it goes wrong #bobby lu, or the player doesn't live up to the hype/production consistantly over that time #gomez, and u can argue ovi for that as well, sure when he was 18-19 ovi was lights out 40+ a year, but even he is plateauing out now (albeit he is still a beast) but honestly besides maybe Sid, OEL or geno the high dollar sign, long term deals are usually tough ones to swallow, imo 5 years are perfect unless you can get a great value JVR type contract that is :)

edit: im still beting on 2-3 year bridge for about 4 mill per

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad