Speculation: Kadri's Face-off win % and potential win % increase.(Does He have Selke potential)?

leafspring*

Kadri averaged 11.77 face-offs per game last season over 48 games = 565 face-offs. He won 250 and lost 315.

The small difference of winning 1 more face-off from his average per game would get him close to the 50% mark. Showing how few wins Naz is off of hitting the middle ground is most likely very important in evaluating his becoming our 1st line center of the future.

The opinion that he is not that good on face-offs being true based on his win percentage is also a vague stat until you crunch the numbers.Also you will have to factor in the expierence he gained and the knowledge of how all the different opponents beat him.

The potential for improvement is going to be a interesting part of his developement to watch next season. The responsibilities and ice time gain he could be rewarded with if the improvement takes place could be the budding of a very good defensive center.

At this point in Kadri's young career this might be the most important part of his skillset to improve. The sky will be the limit when he is that dependable center you can put out in all situations.

He is very close to his potential when he dominates the face-off circles and hopefully it happens over the next 2 seasons. He could be a Selke candidate yearly,because of the defensive developement he was force fed over the last 3 years.

I think Kadri is a blue print for proper developement of high end prospects and the thought of rushing Reilly's developement this season because of his ineligibility to play with the Marlies scares me.

Kadri has taken time but it looks like it is time to reap the rewards. One more faceoff win per game and he is at 50 % anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kadri averaged 11.77 face-offs per game last season over 48 games = 565 face-offs. He won 250 and lost 315.

The small difference of winning 1 more face-off from his average per game would get him close to the 50% mark. Showing how few wins Naz is off of hitting the middle ground is most likely very important in evaluating his becoming our 1st line center of the future.

The opinion that he is not that good on face-offs being true based on his win percentage is also a vague stat until you crunch the numbers.Also you will have to factor in the expierence he gained and the knowledge of how all the different opponents beat him.

The potential for improvement is going to be a interesting part of his developement to watch next season. The responsibilities and ice time gain he could be rewarded with if the improvement takes place could be the budding of a very good defensive center.

At this point in Kadri's young career this might be the most important part of his skillset to improve. The sky will be the limit when he is that dependable center you can put out in all situations.

He is very close to his potential when he dominates the face-off circles and hopefully it happens over the next 2 seasons. He could be a Selke candidate yearly,because of the defensive developement he was force fed over the last 3 years.

I think Kadri is a blue print for proper developement of high end prospects and the thought of rushing Reilly's developement this season because of his ineligibility to play with the Marlies scares me.

Kadri has taken time but it looks like it is time to reap the rewards.

Actually, winning one more per game would have put him over 50%

It would move him from 44.3% to 52.7%. (Basically even with Bozak, but a lot fewer draws taken).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Poor math, equally poor logic.

Kadri has taken time but it looks like it is time to reap the rewards.
And some more awful logic.

I *DO* think Kadri will improve in the circle, most younger players start off weak on draws and slowly get better with time, but this was a pretty poor post.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Kadri will get better on the draws as he gets bigger with age and his timing becomes better. I am honestly not worried about his face-off ability. I just want him to be the 70+ point 1st line centre we desperately need.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kadri will get better on the draws as he gets bigger with age and his timing becomes better. I am honestly not worried about his face-off ability. I just want him to be the 70+ point 1st line centre we desperately need.

I'd be just as happy if he was the 70+ point 2nd line centre.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
just needs to improve a bit, he brings alot to the table so i dont worry about faceoffs.

i'd be happy with him being a 47-49% kind of guy(guys like Malkin and Getzlaf are in this range for example)

hes too low right now, but he'll get better with experience!

Drennan57*

Like i told 7even in my thread.

Kadri will never be a first line center until he improved drastically on faceoffs.

Drennan57*

He's going to improve, its just faceoffs... Its not like telling a player to raise their Hockey IQ, something Naz thankfully has alot of.

The key word is drastically. Right now i wouldn't send Kadri out for a last minute faceoff in the offensive zone or defensive zone.

It needs to become one of his strengths if he want's a sniff at #1C.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Like i told 7even in my thread.

Kadri will never be a first line center until he improved drastically on faceoffs.
I think to be a 1st line centre he'd need to get at least mediocre on faceoffs (48-50%), and even more important I'd like to see him be significantly stronger on his skates/on the puck. He's not afraid on contact, but at the moment he loses most physical battles and gets pushed around a lot, that's not something you want from your first line centre.

With that being said, these are both things he can improve with time. Better strength will help faceoffs and physical battles, plenty of faceoff tricks can be learnt with time (especially different ways to play different players/scenarios), and he should also be able to get stronger on his skates by simply working on body angles and balance. His talent and compete level can't be taught, and his weaknesses are areas where young players are often weak, so I'm quite optimistic about his future. It's not a lock that he becomes a good #1 C, but it's definitely a possibility.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I think to be a 1st line centre he'd need to get at least mediocre on faceoffs (48-50%), and even more important I'd like to see him be significantly stronger on his skates/on the puck. He's not afraid on contact, but at the moment he loses most physical battles and gets pushed around a lot, that's not something you want from your first line centre.

With that being said, these are both things he can improve with time. Better strength will help faceoffs and physical battles, plenty of faceoff tricks can be learnt with time (especially different ways to play different players/scenarios), and he should also be able to get stronger on his skates by simply working on body angles and balance. His talent and compete level can't be taught, and his weaknesses are areas where young players are often weak, so I'm quite optimistic about his future. It's not a lock that he becomes a good #1 C, but it's definitely a possibility.

This

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
C.Hodgson 46.8
D.Stepan 45.8
B.Schenn 45.5
M.Ribeiro 44.8
N.Kadri 44.2
S.Couturier 43.9
S.Gagner 43.9
A.Galchenyuk 42.8
T.Ennis 41.9
R.N-Hopkins 41.0
M.Grigorenko 38.2
C.Wilson 38.1
J.Huberdeau 33.3

faceoffs are something most young centres have to learn.

Unfortunately Burke and Wilson and Eakins set Kadri back two years in the faceoff dot by playing him on the wing, like idiots.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
C.Hodgson 46.8
D.Stepan 45.8
B.Schenn 45.5
M.Ribeiro 44.8
N.Kadri 44.2
S.Couturier 43.9
S.Gagner 43.9
A.Galchenyuk 42.8
T.Ennis 41.9
R.N-Hopkins 41.0
M.Grigorenko 38.2
C.Wilson 38.1
J.Huberdeau 33.3

faceoffs are something most young centres have to learn.

Unfortunately Burke and Wilson and Eakins set Kadri back two years in the faceoff dot by playing him on the wing, like idiots.

He was calling the shots on Kadri. Eakins was just trying to get Kadri prepared to play wing in the NHL, he listens to Wilson in some sense. Everyone knows playmakers with Kadri's abilities are better suited for centre ice.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why put your best center on the second line? Unless ofcourse we have a 90+ point 1st line centre then sure, but if 50point bozak is the 1st line centre no way lol

I don't put much stock in the love of numbering lines. If JVR, Bozak and Kessel can produce as they have, I'm happy to have Kadri producing 70 points with Lupul and Clarkson.

Number them however u want

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I'd expect improvement. He's got those nifty mittens, anyone with hand eye that good ought to be able to get in the 50% range with some dedication. Crosby was lousy starting out too, not that that's meant as a direct comparison but you get what I'm driving at. I'd bet its a major focus this summer.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I don't put much stock in the love of numbering lines. If JVR, Bozak and Kessel can produce as they have, I'm happy to have Kadri producing 70 points with Lupul and Clarkson.

Number them however u want

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name.
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just bringing a little culture, raise the tone round here lol.. Where's Recidivist, he'd appreciate that.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Why put your best center on the second line? Unless ofcourse we have a 90+ point 1st line centre then sure, but if 50point bozak is the 1st line centre no way lol
Distribute scoring. The only reason why Getzlaf and Perry were thrown in the same line was because of Selanne in the past. There is also consistency problems with Perry.

You could have two productive first lines. Kessel as the playmaker on the first and Kadri as the playmaker on the other. That gives us tremendous leverage over our opposition. It's the same reason why Beauchemin and Niedermayer play on separate pairing. You could produce line matching challenges.

As for Bozak, he's more of an interim solution, I suppose. Kessel is better off with a power forward centre. I can't see him incorporate a contract-based playing style and it makes a lot more sense to insulate our top guy. Wear and tear is a problem and I'd rather replace the glue guys than the skilled one.

[Added Later]

Marleau spent most of his time with Couture. Thornton spent most of his time with Burns, while his third linemate was Galiardi. I think San Jose's distributed offence is what made them more effective. Prior to that, they didn't have that depth and now Thornton can deal with the top lines and Marleau can generate on another line.

Last edited:

leafspring*

Poor math, equally poor logic.

And some more awful logic.

I *DO* think Kadri will improve in the circle, most younger players start off weak on draws and slowly get better with time, but this was a pretty poor post.

The being a Selke nominee part down the road should have nothing to do with my poor post. He has all the tools except Faceoffs to be looked at for the Selke trophy in the very near future i believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad