Kadri vs. B. Schenn

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Who's better? Who would rather have, going forward? Try not to be biased. They're BOTH good young players, but bring different things to the table.

Kadri: 6'0", 188lbs. 23 years old. Earns 2.9 million for one more year and then needs a raise.
155GP 41G 63A 105P, +5. Primarily used as a 2nd line Centre, and has great hands. Draws a lot of penalties with his shiftiness and is becoming quite the "pest".

Schenn: 6'1" 190lbs. 22 years old. Earns 3.110 million(with bonuses) and needs an RFA QO/raise now.
169GP 35G 43A 78P, -15. More of a 3rd line Centre at this point due to who's in front of him, but certainly capable of playing on the 2nd line. He's a good passer and skater, and is probably the more physical player. More of a "fearless leader" type than an agitator.

So if you could go back in time and grab one of them at the draft and build around him, who do you pick?

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
Kadri obviously. And if we had B. Schenn here we more than likely would still have Luke Schenn playing on defence instead of JVR playing with kessel.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Schenn's been on the 2nd line all year. Initially played on Lecavalier's LW but then moved to centre after he got injured. When Lecavalier returned, Schenn had played well enough at centre to stay there and they've kept Vincent at LW.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Schenn's been on the 2nd line all year. Initially played on Lecavalier's LW but then moved to centre after he got injured. When Lecavalier returned, Schenn had played well enough at centre to stay there and they've kept Vincent at LW.

Not according to "Left Wing Lock", who list Couturier as having more time on the 2nd line than Schenn this year(Couturier centering Read and Downie...). Maybe injuries have messed things up, but technically that seems to be the case.

No matter.

I'd say he is definitely a 2nd line Centre anyway.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Who knows, Schenn could have fantastic chemistry with Kessel which would likely turn Schenn into a 70 point player.

Since it's a bit pointless to speculate like that, I take the better proven center in Kadri.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Kadri easily. Thank you Boyd Devereaux!

Schenn was by far the most overrated prospect in the last 4 years, and he's also a little ***** on the ice. People criticize Kadri's game and call him dirty but they should see the **** that Schenn pulls with the Flyers. Fake tough guy.

And that's also a good point above about JVR...if we had both the Schenn bros I'm sure the GM would've been more reluctant to trade away one of them.

JVR + Kadri > Schenn bros easily.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Kadri obviously. And if we had B. Schenn here we more than likely would still have Luke Schenn playing on defence instead of JVR playing with kessel.

so scary. i guess every leaf fan owes whats his nuts a beer for scoring a hatty in the last game.

kadri + jvr >>>>>>>>>>>> schenns x 2

i can see the argument that schenn might have more "intangibles" but the leafs need kadri to put up offense. we have people to be leaders and heart and soul guys. imo no matter what a person says on the bench or in the locker room, if they cant back it up on the ice it means nothing. breaking game open with sick goal >>>>> sentimental coach bombay type speach

as for jvr and older schenn. i think burke will need to send snyder a bottle of scotch for the rest of his life for that gift.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Still can't believe we got JVR for Luke Schenn :laugh:

I agree that we won that trade, but I still think Luke Schenn WILL be an essential D-Man one day. He's maybe not right now, but when he's older, he's going to grow into one of the most dependable D-Men in the game, I bet. He's the kind of big, tough, heart & soul guy you need to win a Cup.

We're winning that trade big-time right now, but it might not be so lopsided in the future.

Just my opinion.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
OEL - Tanks Devereaux!

Typical ULF response. In case you forgot, it was pretty much a given that Burke was going to draft B.Schenn, he looked extremely pissed when Dean Lombardi picked him, so even if we had the 5th overall we wouldn't have ended up with OEL. Continue to be jaded though, after all there were no great picks after Kadri until Nick Leddy was picked at 16th overall. I'm sure Dallas, Ottawa (definitely Ottawa..), Vancouver, Edmonton, NYI, Florida and Anaheim would've all loved to have Kadri instead of the guys they picked.

Hell, after Kadri there is literally no one in the first round who is even comparable except maybe Leddy and Kreider.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Definitely would take Kadri over B Schenn, especially when considering what another poster mentioned, it would be the Schenn bros vs Kadri + JVR so no comparison there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Typical ULF response. In case you forgot, it was pretty much a given that Burke was going to draft B.Schenn, he looked extremely pissed when Dean Lombardi picked him, so even if we had the 5th overall we wouldn't have ended up with OEL. Continue to be jaded though, after all there were no great picks after Kadri until Nick Leddy was picked at 16th overall. I'm sure Dallas, Ottawa (definitely Ottawa..), Vancouver, Edmonton, NYI, Florida and Anaheim would've all loved to have Kadri instead of the guys they picked.

Hell, after Kadri there is literally no one in the first round who is even comparable except maybe Leddy and Kreider.

I know Burke wanted Schenn!

I never wanted either so I'm happier with Kadri over Schenn, but I wanted OEL.

Number13

May 21, 2007
I agree that we won that trade, but I still think Luke Schenn WILL be an essential D-Man one day. He's maybe not right now, but when he's older, he's going to grow into one of the most dependable D-Men in the game, I bet. He's the kind of big, tough, heart & soul guy you need to win a Cup.

We're winning that trade big-time right now, but it might not be so lopsided in the future.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, because the Flyers are known for showing patience with players...:sarcasm: If he does develop into that player, it will likely be in LA or something.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You wanted at the time? Or you "wanted at the time" due to hindsight?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I know Burke wanted Schenn!

I never wanted either so I'm happier with Kadri over Schenn, but I wanted OEL.

despite what burke said/did , do you think if he had the option of oel he would have selected him over kadri or schenn?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not according to "Left Wing Lock", who list Couturier as having more time on the 2nd line than Schenn this year(Couturier centering Read and Downie...). Maybe injuries have messed things up, but technically that seems to be the case.

The Couturier line is the Flyers third line. They play on a nightly basis against the oppositions top lines though resulting in a more even ice time differential with the 2nd line of Lecavalier - Schenn - Simmonds.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You wanted at the time? Or you "wanted at the time" due to hindsight?

At the time.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2009-06-08-red-line-defensemen_N.htm

The next three defenders on our list are very tightly bunched and could easily be selected in any order. First up is another skilled Swede, Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Larsson is the purest skater and most naturally athletic defenceman in the draft. His movements are so smooth and fluid and his edging so precise that you barely hear his blades carving the ice — it's almost as though he floats over the top of the ice surface.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
its interesting how things turn out

everyone was upset with Boyd back then
but he seemed to do us a favour

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Burke seemed to focus on defenders, Niedermayer, Pronger, Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Komisarek so there was always hope.

Very much doubt that Burke would have passed B. Schenn for OEL. Hes a Burke type player in a position of need, and was pretty much consensus BPA t the time.

That said, I wouldnt be upset if we had Schenn now. Hes a terrific young player as well, and can still break out. How quick we are to forget that just two months ago the talk of Toronto was that Kadri was going to get shipped out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Very much doubt that Burke would have passed B. Schenn for OEL. Hes a Burke type player in a position of need, and was pretty much consensus BPA t the time.

That said, I wouldnt be upset if we had Schenn now. Hes a terrific young player as well, and can still break out. How quick we are to forget that just two months ago the talk of Toronto was that Kadri was going to get shipped out.

Judging from Burke's reaction at the draft he was not happy when LA selected Schenn in front of his pick. He even tried to trade up to draft Schenn but the cost (rumoured 2 X 2nds) was too high.

In fact he even talked about trading down thereafter when discussing trade with Ottawa until he concluded that his consolation prize Kadri was whom the Sens would have taken at that point also.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Judging from Burke's reaction at the draft he was not happy when LA selected Schenn in front of his pick. He even tried to trade up to draft Schenn but the cost (rumoured 2 X 2nds) was too high.

In fact he even talked about trading down thereafter when discussing trade with Ottawa until he concluded that his consolation prize Kadri was whom the Sens would have taken at that point also.

Yup, it's a good thing he didn't trade down because literally everyone picked after #7 has been extremely underwhelming with a few exceptions. Like I said before, only Leddy and Kreider, and Marcus Johansson (who I forgot to mention in the previous post) were decent picks after Kadri in the first round. Then there are "maybes" like Zack Kassian, Calvin de Haan, Peter Holland and Kulikov; Kulikov was looking like a great pick at one point but he's regressed defensively and is in Florida's dog house now.

The immediate 3 picks after Kadri are laughable, Scott Glennie, Jared Cowen and Magnus Paajarvi who some wanted so dearly as well. We seriously dodged some bullets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad