Kadri Rips Out Thornton's Beard

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Way back Kadri and Thornton went at it during a game

Kadri ended up pulling out a chunk of Thornton's beard which ended up on the ice

Just wondering. How does that happen

For anyone reading this who might have long hair, simply pull on your hair. And pull it hard. It's not coming out. It hurts, but it's not coming out. Even if you pull with an absurd amount of force, you hair is still not coming out. It's gonna hurt real bad, but it's not just coming out in handfuls.

How did Kadri just grab a handfull of beard hair on Joe and it just came out, laying on the ice like that?

I remember wondering about this way back then.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Like a tree, where branches become more brittle the further you get from the trunk. The chunk he ripped out was effectively dead hair.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Like a tree, where branches become more brittle the further you get from the trunk. The chunk he ripped out was effectively dead hair.

good to know my man

is this true?

that anyone who grows a really long beard, the bottom ends become disconnected and just simply "loose", being able to just pull it out?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
good to know my man

is this true?

that anyone who grows a really long beard, the bottom ends become disconnected and just simply "loose"?

I don't have a long beard, so I can't speak from experience. You can condition and trim it just like regular hair. If you don't your hair will get dehydrated, become brittle and split at the ends. It was still attached to his face, it just wasn't healthy hair.

I mean, just look at the thing.
joe_thornton.jpg

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I have never grown a beard at all, not even a little bit of brush, so I wouldn't know :(

But I would imagine that just like anyone's long hair is attached to their scalp and can't simply be pulled out even with a lot of force, every strand of a beard is attached to your cheeks and can't just be pulled out even when tugging hard.

in fact if I tug hard on my scalp hair it hurts a little, but if I pinch and tug hard on my clean cheeks it hurts even worse... now imagine if I was tugging hair on my cheeks? (my face cheeks, not my butt cheeks)

So how Kadri managed to grab a handfull of the stuff and just toss it on the ice without Joe literally skating off to the dressing room with blood running down his face and in extreme pain is beyond me.. hair just doesn't come out like that, we all know that

beard extensions, anyone? do they exist? ;)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
good to know my man

is this true?

that anyone who grows a really long beard, the bottom ends become disconnected and just simply "loose", being able to just pull it out?

There will be some hairs that just come out easily, but if you grab a handful and pull it, it's gonna hurt like a bastard.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The power is so huge sire. When a sucka is gripping on wood and then rumbles and even falls, imagine the power it creates. That beard came out fast. Our Joe finna grow a new one though. Ain't even no thang. We have the most interesting personas now in our club, others might be jelious, but don't be alarmed.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I have never grown a beard at all, not even a little bit of brush, so I wouldn't know :(

But I would imagine that just like anyone's long hair is attached to their scalp and can't simply be pulled out even with a lot of force, every strand of a be. The cycle for the hair on your hrd is attached to your cheeks and can't just be pulled out even when tugging hard.

in fact if I tug hard on my scalp hair it hurts a little, but if I pinch and tug hard on my clean cheeks it hurts even worse... now imagine if I was tugging hair on my cheeks? (my face cheeks, not my butt cheeks)

So how Kadri managed to grab a handfull of the stuff and just toss it on the ice without Joe literally skating off to the dressing room with blood running down his face and in extreme pain is beyond me.. hair just doesn't come out like that, we all know that

beard extensions, anyone? do they exist? ;)

Long beard that had been grown out for a while. A certain amount of any hair simply falls out over time. The hair on your head has a two year growth cycle and about a one year rest cycle during which it is shed. Nazim just caught Joe was ready to molt although it would likely have been a bit injurious than it appears.

Quick Shifts 1/5: Nazem Kadri Rips Out A Chunk Of Joe Thornton's Legendary Beard

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I was there too in a box, we all ran up to watch how the chunk of hair got there on the tv. Basically, Kadri was getting a little ragdolled holding onto Thornton's collar and beard at the same time. By holding on he qas pulling the hair in every direction, must've hurt Jumbo like a SOB.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The issue is when one “tries” to pull out their own hair, they’re not actually trying. I don’t know how to define it psychologically.

Some high school kid was bullying me back in the day when I was in middle school and pulled a chunk of my hair out off the top of my head. It hurt, but it was a quick, far from overly painful pull and I was surprised (as was he) when he showed me the chunk he pulled out. If you actually want to yank out someone’s hair, you can. Your mind is just not going to allow you to actually do it on yourself.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
The issue is when one “tries” to pull out their own hair, they’re not actually trying. I don’t know how to define it psychologically.

Some high school kid was bullying me back in the day when I was in middle school and pulled a chunk of my hair out off the top of my head. It hurt, but it was a quick, far from overly painful pull and I was surprised (as was he) when he showed me the chunk he pulled out. If you actually want to yank out someone’s hair, you can. Your mind is just not going to allow you to actually do it on yourself.
I f***ing hate bullies

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Wasn't there a redemption game afterwards where a lot of the SJS went after Kadri. Like checking, punching, spear, butt end, elbow, atomic wedgy, etc. I sure hope the leafs do that to whomever pulls Jumbo's beard this time around.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I watched this many times over, to me I came to the conclusion that as he (as in Kadri) was falling, his natural instinct was to grab hold to something stable as counter balance. This is where Joe Thornton's beard came into play. Gravity must have determined the outcome.

You could almost argue that Joe offered up his beard as a safety mechanism for Kadri.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Never understood the fuss about this. If you have a huge beard and choose to get in a scrap, it's a risk you have to accept knowing the other guy is going to grab at your collar.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I bet both Kadri and Thornton thought it was hilarious after the tempers cooled.

When you've got a tangle of frizzy beard hair like Thornton has, it's years old hair that's dried out and brittle, maybe a little matted. Kadri probably didn't pull many hairs out by the root.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad