Kadri player discssion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to respond to each individual poster who decides to quote my post and then proceeds to go on some over the top rant about how I'm biased, don't have a clue, refusing to see a great talent that is over performing expectations.. Oh wait.

Let's revisit this discussion at around the 20 game mark. Let's see if real progress has been made and what his statistical production looks like. That should give us a better jumping off point to have a discussion.. Because right now I'm trying to use the last 2 years as a benchmark and barometer as to what this player actually is, and his most arvant supporters want me to just look back one more. I think we can all agree that it will be ok to judge Kadri on how he performs these first 20 games, considering hes now a 25 year old playing arguably for the best coach in the game. Let's see where things stand then.

Why are we only waiting 20 games? Is a nuke going to blow up the ACC?

They gave him a 1 year deal to use the full season. So we should take the entire season, plus his prior body of work, and then evaluate.

We just started a rebuild, and some people want to consider shipping out some of our best young talent after 20 games.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Why are we only waiting 20 games? Is a nuke going to blow up the ACC?

They gave him a 1 year deal to use the full season. So we should take the entire season, plus his prior body of work, and then evaluate.

We just started a rebuild, and some people want to consider shipping out some of our best young talent after 20 games.

Not that I agree with all he is saying, but I think he is referring to ( I could be wrong)people saying Kadri has already shown he has improved this season so we should be assuming this will continue. To that thinking, I would agree with waiting about 20-25 games to look for him consistently trying to improve and that he continues on the right path before we declare he has shown he has improved his FO% etc and obviously worked at it.

If that is his point, I would agree that 5 games this season is not enough to declare improvements over the past few seasons of work.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Not that I agree with all he is saying, but I think he is referring to ( I could be wrong)people saying Kadri has already shown he has improved this season so we should be assuming this will continue. To that thinking, I would agree with waiting about 20-25 games to look for him consistently trying to improve and that he continues on the right path before we declare he has shown he has improved his FO% etc and obviously worked at it.

If that is his point, I would agree that 5 games this season is not enough to declare improvements over the past few seasons of work.

I don't think that is what he meant.

The fact is, we have no reason not to use the whole year to evaluate every veteran on the roster, with the exception of the UFAs with 1 year deals.

Let's take our time, and evaluate. I want Kadri to be force-fed big minutes. Similar to Bozak in prior years. If he struggles mightily, then maybe we do decide to offload him.

If he does very well, we consider re-signing him to a longer term. It's a simple process.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Spending 5ish million on a player who can out up 50 points is fine.

The problem is dropping big dollars on guys who are 25-30 point producers (ie Clarkson, Clowe, ect).

It depends what that 50 point player does.

If it's a 50 point center who can be relied upon in key defensive situations, then sure. If it's a 50 point player who dominates physically, then sure.

If it's a 50 point player who doesn't do anything else, it's not worth it.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

If it's a 50 point center who can be relied upon in key defensive situations, then sure. If it's a 50 point player who dominates physically, then sure.

Dominating physically doesn't have very much benefit, if it isn't translated into more points for and fewer against.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I like Bozak, I like Kadri. Has he improved? Coach says so. He gets paid 8mil to have that opinion. I'm good with that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The physicality issue is debatable - ie some guys play a more finesse game, and that doesn't mean they are less defensively reliable. Ie Schenn was one of the league's most physical players and he was totally useless defensively (and offensively for that matter).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So from what i have seen so far from Kadri indicates he has been really dangerous and a steady offense generating player with a very bad shooting %.

How long will it be before he is being slagged for not having a good shot( which he does and doesn't) and that he is not out practicing his shot extra after every single practice.

I mean come on kadri bashers! What the heck are you's passing up a opportunity like this for??? Kadri is going to go on a rip here soon. Just saying. I'm saying that because odds are slim he maintains a 3% shooting percentage.

He is shooting in high percentage areas with no luck at present.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
So from what i have seen so far from Kadri indicates he has been really dangerous and a steady offense generating player with a very bad shooting %.

How long will it be before he is being slagged for not having a good shot( which he does and doesn't) and that he is not out practicing his shot extra after every single practice.

I mean come on kadri bashers! What the heck are you's passing up a opportunity like this for??? Kadri is going to go on a rip here soon. Just saying. I'm saying that because odds are slim he maintains a 3% shooting percentage.

This

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Again you assume people will agree with you - faulty assumption.

Why would you want to evaluate any player based on such a small sample size and ignore the rest of his career? What's wrong with looking at the entire picture and using all the information we have to evaluate?

:shakehead

I do agree with you, however, it is also important to see how Kadri does in the present after what was not his best season. Not saying that a 20 game sample means anything, but this is basically a try out year for him. So far he's looked dangerous every game and would likley be close to ppg with his career shooting % (I didn't do the math, assuming its about 2 goals).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Am I the only one here whom think that Kadri for Bennett is a good deal for both Calgary and TO?

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Developing into the solid #2 most of thought he would be. His salary demands will dictate his future in TO.

91Kadri91*

He has yet to become a complete 200ft player as any reliable center should be.

He's not at a point where he'll consistently suppress the offensive efforts of the opposition (and likely never will be), but he's far from egregious defensively. He quells goals, shots, possession, and scoring chances at a respectable, although slightly below-average, rate over the past couple of seasons. His regression statistics are fairly promising as well.

Nonetheless, his overall contributions have been that of a second-line centre. The team has played better when he has been on the ice, and his individual production has been the equivalent of a typical top-6 player.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I hope your fishing expedition ends well.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Eh. Not saying that these things shouldn't be an important part of the evaluation of Kadri, but I really don't see what they have to do with whether or not he's a solid #2.

Solid to me means building block. A lock. A cornerstone. A foundation.

Stats are stats. A "solid #2" is going to put up "solid #2" numbers. Clearly, Kadri is a Top6-9 guy from a production standpoint. But not rare in the world of "solid #2" producers.

I don't see the building block component based on the history of the player.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Solid to me means building block. A lock. A cornerstone. A foundation.

Stats are stats. A "solid #2" is going to put up "solid #2" numbers. Clearly, Kadri is a Top6-9 guy from a production standpoint. But not rare in the world of "solid #2" producers.

I don't see the building block component based on the history of the player.

So if I was talking about a solid bottom pairing player you'd think I was talking about a cornerstone, building block bottom pairing guy?

The obvious meaning of the term "solid #2" is a player that is solidly in the #2 range of players. No reason to start to question that statement based solely on how you'd like to use the words differently.

Just like I'm not going to yell at you for wanting to build houses with people because I think "building block" and "cornerstone" are terms that should only be used in construction.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Is it just me?
I remember kadri being slick and creative with the puck a few yrs ago
Now he looks more like a checker with just the odd flash

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is it just me?
I remember kadri being slick and creative with the puck a few yrs ago
Now he looks more like a checker with just the odd flash

I think Kadri is okay.

Very few players get by on flash and being slick.

Perhaps he's just learning how to play a responsible game and it might all come together, flash and substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad