Line Combos: Kadri as a winger ... Bolland takes over 2nd./3rd. line center

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Didn't Wilson already try placing him on the wing? He had like 5 points in 30 games. It's hard to believe how easily we forget some things.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Hawks gave Bolland the opportunity to be their 2nd line centre for three years, finally decided to cut bait, you can't pay 4th line centre's over 3 million and win Cups.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Putting Kadri in the face-off dot up against the top centers in the the league and gaining Leaf puck possession not a concern of yours?

I am sure Kadri's faceoff woes are temporary. He has slick hands and is too feisty to forever suck at them. Moreover, he knows top line duties are in reach. I am confident he will practice his face-off skills like crazy.

Badger Mayhew*

Hawks gave Bolland the opportunity to be their 2nd line centre for three years, finally decided to cut bait, you can't pay 4th line centre's over 3 million and win Cups.

Yeah, not like Chicago ever won a cup with Bolland or anything.

leafstilldeath*

Wise words of a wise man: "Don't fix something that ain't broken"

Kadri remains at "C"

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

..said not the Hawks.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Moving Kadri to wing because of faceoffs (!) is a horrible idea.

It's the best position for his skill set, and he already was tried on wing and it didn't work.

Compared to wingers, centres need to be more involved in the game, and the more Kadri is involved, the better he plays.

Faceoffs will come. Just keep him working on his defensive game and all is good.

holden57

Feb 3, 2011

Unless you're the Hawks. In that case you can win two of them.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Kadri should definately stay at centre - and over time his faceoff % a little - it was really only his first year as a centre in the NHL - I see him ending up a 49 - 51% in the dot.

Nonis will try to get an upgrade in a first or second line centre - but if there isn't one available (at a reasonable price) I can the lines going down like this:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - <Clarkson>
Kulemin - Bolland - Colborne (allows to work on his game, taking some draws from time to time)
Goon - McClement - <UFA Agitator / Defensive forward>

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He was drafted as a center.

First in the organization, he means. After Ron Wilson decided he couldn't play centre, and Brian Burke went on the radio to say that Kadri would play wing the way Paul Kariya did (stay high in the offensive zone). Eakins was the first to finally disregard previous organizational policy and put Kadri in the centre spot during their calder run.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Can Bolland play wing?? This may be an option if we re-sign Bozak (if his agent drops the price big time)

Anyways, having too many NHL level centers is never bad. McClement we know can play wing, and I honestly feel like Grabo could too due to his competitiveness in the D-zone

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Pretty much this.

Bolland is extremely effective as a bottom six centre, but the fact that the Hawks picked up a guy who couldn't even dress for San Jose to play with Sharp/Kane instead of Bolland says more than enough about his ability to play in a scoring role.
That Hossa/ Sharp line was clearly the shut down line. Toews was often in that roe, while Kane was leading a top scoring line with Bickell and Handzus. Blolland was a depth scoring solution in this playoffs even though he was used as the shut down guy last season.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I have zero problems placing Kadri between Kessel and Lupes/JVR. The faceoff thing will develop naturally over time.

Kadri has terrific vision and passing ability. He's our guy.

Kadri
Grabo
Bolland
McClement

Done.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That Hossa/ Sharp line was clearly the shut down line. Toews was often in that roe, while Kane was leading a top scoring line with Bickell and Handzus. Blolland was a depth scoring solution in this playoffs even though he was used as the shut down guy last season.

Bolland was the worst +/- on the Hawks? He is usually pretty good, maybe injury problems?

He had 6 points in the playoffs? That's 2 less than Tyler Seguin. Seguin did play 2:30 more a game though, but Seguin is only 21 years old so we know he is going to get better.

Yes, I don't think Bolland is going to take Kadri's offensive line role.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto is allergic to quality 1c, let's Lecavalier go pays for Bolland (a rental) Not sure how that works on helping us contend.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think it's fair using this last season against Bolland as he struggled with some pretty severe back issues that never had a chance to heal. With an off-season to get back in shape, I hope and think that we'll see Bolland as the great #3 center he's been previously. Prefer if we used him there rather than our top 6 though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think it's fair using this last season against Bolland as he struggled with some pretty severe back issues that never had a chance to heal. With an off-season to get back in shape, I hope and think that we'll see Bolland as the great #3 center he's been previously. Prefer if we used him there rather than our top 6 though.

Remember Owen Nolan?

He passed his physical and the Leafs accepted him in a trade.

Is this history repeating itself?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad