Line Combos: Kadri as a winger ... Bolland takes over 2nd./3rd. line center

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Remember Owen Nolan?

He passed his physical and the Leafs accepted him in a trade.

Is this history repeating itself?

Or maybe it could have a Lupul type of impact?

Why always to the worst/lowest denominator?

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Because of Chicago's talent level and depth Bolland was a depth player in comparison.

However in Toronto with a real weakness down the middle I fully expect Bolland to play in a top 6 role (TOI/g & PP TOI/g) and wouldn't be surprised if he had his best statistical season of his career next season.

Either Grabovski or Kadri could move to the wing to precipitate Bolland playing as a top 6 center.. He might even get a try replacing Bozak on the top line and playing with Kessel. (Barring a top center brought in)

JVR ----- Bolland -- Kessel
Lupul --- Kadri ---- Clarkson
XXXX -- Grabovski -- Kulemin

same way i would do it too.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Remember Owen Nolan?

He passed his physical and the Leafs accepted him in a trade.

Is this history repeating itself?

1 year deal, so, if he's hurt, we get the cap space back, and lost a 2nd, rather than a 1st +

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Considering the inability of Kadri to come close to winning half his face-offs should we look at using him as a winger similar to Cammalleri?

With Bolland the Leafs now have a 2nd./3rd. line center to man the shutdown line.

Grabovski can move into an offensive role.

Grabovski
Bolland
McClement
Colborne

Down the middle.

Colborne in limited face-offs was 51% regular season, but like Kadri got school badly by the Bruins.

No thanks. There's a reason Kadri has looked his best at the center spot. It's because he plays his best game as a center. Not a winger.

Faceoffs can be worked on, and Kadri has shown an ability at times to be very good at it. His issue is consistency.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Because of Chicago's talent level and depth Bolland was a depth player in comparison.

However in Toronto with a real weakness down the middle I fully expect Bolland to play in a top 6 role (TOI/g & PP TOI/g) and wouldn't be surprised if he had his best statistical season of his career next season.

Either Grabovski or Kadri could move to the wing to precipitate Bolland playing as a top 6 center.. He might even get a try replacing Bozak on the top line and playing with Kessel. (Barring a top center brought in)

JVR ----- Bolland -- Kessel
Lupul --- Kadri ---- Clarkson
XXXX -- Grabovski -- Kulemin

That doesn't look too shabby actually. I feel and im sure others too would agree that Bolland will be playing in over his head as #1 C. He just got traded...to the leafs, biggest hockey franchise...playing as the #1 C...In his home town...I predict the nerves and expectation will be too much and he does terrible as #1 C

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
Has there been any noise about the leafs being interested in Jagr?
I think you could have two strong lines out of:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Jagr

I imagine that second line could be one of the NHL's best at offensive puck possession.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Has there been any noise about the leafs being interested in Jagr?
I think you could have two strong lines out of:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Jagr

I imagine that second line could be one of the NHL's best at offensive puck possession.
Jagr was effectively used in a shut down role as well. I think his problem was that no one on his line can finish the plays well. Marchand - the main finisher - was quite underwhelming in this years playoffs IMO.

That JVR - Grabovski -Jagr line would have to be the shut down line especially if Bolland plays with lesser tower talent. We've actually seen JVR given tougher minutes in the playoffs, as Grabs usage increased, and our more defensive core were less utilized. Bolland was brought into secure our ability to challenge top lines.

Maybe try...

JVR - Bolland/Horton? - Kessel ( Top scoring line)
Bolland/Colborne - Grabovski/Bolland - Jagr ( shut down line)
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin ( Sheltering scoring line)
X - McClement - Orr

I am certain Colborne is going to be used. He is normally a pretty good possession player and didn't look out of place even against the top lines. The reason why I'd stick in Horton is it really reduces the responsibilities of JVR to physically carry the line. In terms of physicality, JVR is nothing compared to Horton even though both are not power forwards.

Bozak can work as well, and it was a positive possession line. My only issue is that he needs to play an Andy McDonald type of game. He isn't as small as him, but when it comes to rugged play, Andy is simply superior. Little things like protecting the puck well, poise with the puck around privileged areas, and being able to finish Kessel's plays.

PS: Jagr probably won't sign here, though. I also see Grabovski becoming a lot more redundant especially if we are going to be keeping Bolland.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I think Bolland will be 2C. Not 1C.

I think Kadri will step up into the 1C role. Not a proponent of it, but I think he will. He's getting more and more exposure, and hes getting better and better. He's also getting more mature and better at faceoffs.

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
Jagr was effectively used in a shut down role as well. I think his problem was that no one on his line can finish the plays well. Marchand - the main finisher - was quite underwhelming in this years playoffs IMO.

That JVR - Grabovski -Jagr line would have to be the shut down line especially if Bolland plays with lesser tower talent. We've actually seen JVR given tougher minutes in the playoffs, as Grabs usage increased, and our more defensive core were less utilized. Bolland was brought into secure our ability to challenge top lines.

Maybe try...

JVR - Bolland/Horton? - Kessel ( Top scoring line)
Bolland/Colborne - Grabovski/Bolland - Jagr ( shut down line)
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin ( Sheltering scoring line)
X - McClement - Orr

I am certain Colborne is going to be used. He is normally a pretty good possession player and didn't look out of place even against the top lines. The reason why I'd stick in Horton is it really reduces the responsibilities of JVR to physically carry the line. In terms of physicality, JVR is nothing compared to Horton even though both are not power forwards.

Bozak can work as well, and it was a positive possession line. My only issue is that he needs to play an Andy McDonald type of game. He isn't as small as him, but when it comes to rugged play, Andy is simply superior. Little things like protecting the puck well, poise with the puck around privileged areas, and being able to finish Kessel's plays.

PS: Jagr probably won't sign here, though. I also see Grabovski becoming a lot more redundant especially if we are going to be keeping Bolland.

What's the consensus on how well utilized Jagr was playing on a shutdown line? I think he did his job, but I think he's still one of the absolute best at possessing the puck. Honestly when I see him working in the offensive corners it reminds of Steve Nash in the NBA, He's enough of a threat to come out of the corner in a scoring position that you almost have to throw a secondary defensmen in his way, and then he looks to kick it out to the open man.

I feel like it you had JVR eating up space in front of the net, it becomes very difficult to try and contain both Grabovski and Jagr in the corners and behind the net.

That said, I'd tend to agree that Jagr signing here is unlikely, but I've gained a lot of respect for the guy since his comeback to the NHL (he's always been great, I just didn't know about his work ethic and desire).

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
How you guys feel about signing Cooke, Clarkson and one of Murray/Scuderi/Ference this summer then trading Grabovski + for Stastny while retaining some of Grabo's salary?

JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Cooke - Bolland - Kulemin
Broll/D'amigo - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Murray/Scuderi/Ference
Fraser

Reimer
Bernier

Looks like a cup contender to me! :)

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
What's the consensus on how well utilized Jagr was playing on a shutdown line? I think he did his job, but I think he's still one of the absolute best at possessing the puck. Honestly when I see him working in the offensive corners it reminds of Steve Nash in the NBA, He's enough of a threat to come out of the corner in a scoring position that you almost have to throw a secondary defensmen in his way, and then he looks to kick it out to the open man.
He played quite well indeed. If he someone who can finish the puck better, I think he would've performed better. His strong possession game, work ethic, and his vision makes him very effective in a variety of situations.

I feel like it you had JVR eating up space in front of the net, it becomes very difficult to try and contain both Grabovski and Jagr in the corners and behind the net.
Carlyle could even have Jagr work around the privileged area, and enable JVR to be a lot more creative as well. I noticed that it was difficult for JVR to exert himself, because he's physically carrying the line. The notion that he was "inconsistent" has more to do with statistics than actual play considering that he always did his job. However, to expect him not to be boxed out and dominate the critical area like Bickell.

JVR is NOT a power forward!

That said, I'd tend to agree that Jagr signing here is unlikely, but I've gained a lot of respect for the guy since his comeback to the NHL (he's always been great, I just didn't know about his work ethic and desire).
Well said.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bolland's really not a top 6 player. He was horrible for the Hawks this year as 2c...and that was playing with Kane and Sharp.

If the Leafs are banking on him being their 2c it is a very big mistake.

He's very effective at 3c...but he doesn't really offer anything above that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
JVR - Riberio (3y/14m) - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Grabo
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson (4y/15mil)
Hamilton - MacClems - Orr

Phanoof - Scudari (3y/11m)
Gardiner - Gunnerson
Franson - Fraser
Holzer

Reimer
Bernier

That's what I'd like the opening roster to look like. Give bozak's money to Riberio, give MacA's money to Clarkson and give liles money to Scudari.

Obvious problems;

I didn't run this through cap geek to see if it works with the cap.
I signed the UFAs according my perception of their worth...it will likely cost more.
Tis is under th assumption we can move liles without taking any salary back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad