Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
This is an impossible situation. Get Mika and Kreider to do anything 5v5. If he can do it, the Hart is in play.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I say that this is a mistake. Kakko has been doing well because he has been playing his cycle and possession game with Cuylle and letting Brod do zone entries. If Zib/Kreider aren't going to cycle and just play a rush game, Kakko will look out of place again.

Reactions: CLW

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I say that this is a mistake. Kakko has been doing well because he has been playing his cycle and possession game with Cuylle and letting Brod do zone entries. If Zib/Kreider aren't going to cycle and just play a rush game, Kakko will look out of place again.
It just means the coach runs out of options and maybe makes Mika and Kreider do something different.

Reactions: CLW

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
meanwhile the NHL has more and more turned into a rush league.

kakko came into the league about a decade late...

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015

I don't disagree, but the opportunity for his game to shine will be the playoffs where the deeper you go, the less rush happy things become. I think you have to embrace what he is to truly utilize his skills. If they do get a more compatible offer for him during the offseason, you take it. For now, he is what he is and what he is is something the team actually lacks.

Reactions: bleedblue94

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think you gotta be able to do both...Panarin's line is succeeding this year because they're not just a rush line
Agreed, but I'd you can't contribute or play the rush then you can't play at all with skilled players. He is a black hole and teammates don't want to even try to use him on the rush. It's like watching Blair Betts on the rush

I don't disagree, but the opportunity for his game to shine will be the playoffs where the deeper you go, the less rush happy things become. I think you have to embrace what he is to truly utilize his skills. If they do get a more compatible offer for him during the offseason, you take it. For now, he is what he is and what he is is something the team actually lacks.
I love your point about the playoffs, but I just would like to see some improvement. Eventually he needs to be a guy to help actually get you into the playoffs as well for the money he will be asking soon

Reactions: DanielBrassard

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
not having Chytil and/or playing with Trocheck has hurt him. He needs that type IMO

He plays a certain way and that doesn't mesh well with current form Zibs.

Still do not understand why they broke up the Cuylle Brodz Kakko line.... Finally had two lines going. Are they really showcasing him? His shot has been much better but his current line just looks out of sync.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Yeah, if you can't create off the rush, you aren't going to score a lot. The elite can do both but if you can only do one scoring off the rush is probably more useful.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I love your point about the playoffs, but I just would like to see some improvement. Eventually he needs to be a guy to help actually get you into the playoffs as well for the money he will be asking soon
I think a line with Cuylle and either Trochek or Chytil would have allowed so much more contribution. Maybe he can work with more players and unfortunately his only option is the black hole that is Kreider and Zib. That line works with nobody so it is not fair to say he doesn't produce. He produced on the kid line and has produced with Cuylle and Brod. I absolutely want more from him, but I don't think this team has been the best fit for him. I want him back with Cuylle and a better center. They were adding the secondary scoring this team desperately needs. They would be better off just leaving him on the third line and finding a cheap trade option to fill that slot with 93-20. Kakko on the third makes this team a deep team for the playoffs. Should he be more considering the pedigree? I would love that. Can it happen with 93-20? That has been the hardest hole to fill for 3 years now.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Good point I saw made on Twitter. Kakko has had 5 years in the league, and 3 different coaches. What is going to be the catalyst for him to actually put up points if he sticks around?

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Good point I saw made on Twitter. Kakko has had 5 years in the league, and 3 different coaches. What is going to be the catalyst for him to actually put up points if he sticks around?
Improving his speed and hoping he is one of those late bloomers. He may be a 3rd line guy who doesn't put up a ton of points but is extremely solid defensively. A guy who you don't lose or win games because of. I hope not, but it is certainly possible.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Physical and mental maturity/confidence. Like with Laf, just slower.

Reactions: mas0764

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I feel like Kakko needs to take a page out of both Chytil's and Laf's recent summer training.

Past couple of years I've noticed Kakko working out hard in the gym with his buddy Ratanen, doing hell stairs, squats, explosive work, etc. Thats all good and hockey specific and he should continue to do that.

However with Chytil the past few offseasons I've seen a lot of on ice work, working on edge control, quick puck control around cones, darts to the net on the inside, shooting drills. Even when he was out with the concussion he was on the ice before he came back.

We all know Laf worked with a skating coach and man, what a difference she made. I feel like Kakko needs some one on one skills work on the ice for a majority of the summer working on this stuff and his shot.

Now he may be doing some or all of this but from the little I've gleaned from the internet I havent seen many clips of him training this way.

Either way I havent seen much improvement in his skills over the past 2-3 years that have been noticeable like the other two. Lafs skating has improved tremendously and Chytils shot became lethal not only because he worked on it but because he worked on getting to areas to get the shot off quicker. Kakko floats on offense and doesnt attack with purpose. You gain confidence by knowing you can pull things off, not just trying to.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Physical and mental maturity/confidence. Like with Laf, just slower.

I'm gonna go with upper body strength, a mean streak, and some assertiveness.

These have been the biggest things holding him back. It's time to cut the happy go lucky shtick and take what he wants out of his NHL career.

It's ridiculous how much of a passenger he becomes when he plays with Mika and Kreider. Take the puck hard to the net and let Mika doofus around at even strength. You owe him nothing kid, get your points.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm gonna go with upper body strength, a mean streak, and some assertiveness.

These have been the biggest things holding him back. It's time to cut the happy go lucky shtick and take what he wants out of his NHL career.

It's ridiculous how much of a passenger he becomes when he plays with Mika and Kreider. Take the puck hard to the net and let Mika doofus around at even strength. You owe him nothing kid, get your points.
Everybody struggles witth mika and kreider. They are not easy to play with at all.

Kakko looked good with cuylle and brodz.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Such nonsense about Kakko. He was finally put in a position to produce (like with Panarin and Strome), then was removed from that line and put in a shittier spot.

Kreider + Zibanejad : GF/60 = 3.01
Panarin + Trocheck + Lafreniere: GF/60 = 3.45
Cuylle + Brodzinski + Kakko: GF/60 = 4.41
Cuylle + Brodzinski + No Kakko: GF/60 = 1.84

Kakko was in a position to succeed, and he was succeeding. Then we took him out of that position, put him in the worst position for his skillset, and are going to shit on him for not producing? Lavi can f*** right off with that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
They have Kakko going in a good way right now and they need to put some trust in him.

Since hes come back hes averaged only about 12-13 min. He was very noticeable in several of those games but its hard for him to sustain that momentum. Theres been a lot of special teams play in a lot of the games and he just sits there for long stretches while Goodrow gets more ice time. An extra 2 min or so 5on5 will be good.

I really hope with the line changes they stick with Kakko up with Mika and just let it ride for a while. No Wheeler to contend with, Vesey got a shot and didnt do much. Jimmy is valuable wherever he is in the lineup but seems to become more dangerous offensively when matched up against the other teams worst. I think he will be fine on the 3rd.

So theres really no competition or reason NOT to stick with Kakko for a pretty good stretch here, until of course - they make a deal for that RW. But until then they need to give him the keys and let him drive with no fear of being pushed down in the lineup
Just like any other deal its all about details. We should not look to dump KK but if we think a deal will improve our team he is not close to untouchable (like most our players).

Kakko spending too much time trying to puck possession the puck into the net rather than shooting it.
That statement that Lavi made is really right to the point. We see KK do a lot of good things but at the end of the day we need to see him on the scoresheet at least somewhat consistently. Some guys eventually click. Some guys never do. I honestly do not know what KK's future holds scoring wise yet.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Just like any other deal its all about details. We should not look to dump KK but if we think a deal will improve our team he is not close to untouchable (like most our players).

That statement that Lavi made is really right to the point. We see KK do a lot of good things but at the end of the day we need to see him on the scoresheet at least somewhat consistently. Some guys eventually click. Some guys never do. I honestly do not know what KK's future holds scoring wise yet.
He was clicking on a line with guys who cycled. The guys he hasn’t clicked with are people nobody clicks with, barring 2 or 3 exceptions. Blaming Kakko for failing when everyone fails with them is wildly unfair. Kakko and Cuylle produce. You can argue that he isn’t a fit with this team, but with the right guys he will put up points.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He was clicking on a line with guys who cycled. The guys he hasn’t clicked with are people nobody clicks with, barring 2 or 3 exceptions. Blaming Kakko for failing when everyone fails with them is wildly unfair. Kakko and Cuylle produce. You can argue that he isn’t a fit with this team, but with the right guys he will put up points.
Depends on your version of production. Its hard to say a guy is a good player if he can only put up decent production with a couple of guys on the team. Even when we went on our playoff run a few years ago he was not producing that much. Chytil and Laf were almost doubling his production on the same line. I'm not bashing KK. Just being realistic. His production is his production. It can't always be every one else's fault. I do think its often been better for KK to be on a 3rd line facing 3rd pair defensemen.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

This. Completely agree.

Kakko-brodz-cuylle looked good.

Hopefully lav goes with kakko-wen-cuylle.

At this point just stick whoever with zibs and kreider. Not going to make a difference anyway since nobody plays well with then.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
You could ask every single player in the world, and I am not kidding here, and they will tell you the better spot to be is with Kreider and Z as opposed to Cuylle and f***ing Jonny Brodzinski. Come on guys.

Kakko needs to just take that next crossover towards the net. Don't spin back into the boards. Don't pass it to some shitty d man. Take it yourself and move to the middle. Just 1 crossover.

Also everyone was clamoring for heads to roll when kakko was moved off the Z line early in the year screaming about "But the numbers say!!!" The numbers say 7 f***ing goals. That's what they say.

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad