Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't care if they showed 161 km/h, I don't believe Kravtsov shoots that. That would be a world class slapshot, and there's literally no footage of him using it lol.

To me, Kravtsov seems to be the Selänne type of goal scorer. Right place at the right time. Looking at his KHL highlights, so many redirections, rebounds and opportunistic snapshots.
Pretty much every goal he scored in 18-19 was on a one-timer from top of the right circle

Reactions: LOFIN

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Can you honestly say that if you went back in time to that 2019 draft and a psychic told you he's not going to break 50pts after 3 seasons in the league; that you wouldn't be disappointed? He was billed as the most NHL ready prospect imaginable, so much so that during the draft Sportsnet's graphic said "Room for Improvement: None". This was the kid who shattered Barkov & Laine's goals records in Liiga. This is the kid who scored 5 goals in 2 games against men at the World Championships. Look back at threads in 2019 and see what everybody's expectations were. In a poll on the main boards 74.2% of voters believed he'd put up at least 50pts in his rookie season.
There’s been a lot of revisionist history and/or just “I’m smarter than the pundits” going on here as some attempt to explain away the relative failures of Kakko and Laf thus far. Sure, COVID has had an unprecedented effect on their entry into the league, but both were billed as consensus, day one, star players and they certainly haven’t lived up to their billing.

I remain very optimistic about them both but if Kakko has another underwhelming season on the stat sheet this year, we’ll really have to start thinking about the B word, at least relative to his draft position.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There’s been a lot of revisionist history and/or just “I’m smarter than the pundits” going on here as some attempt to explain away the relative failures of Kakko and Laf thus far. Sure, COVID has had an unprecedented effect on their entry into the league, but both were billed as consensus, day one, star players and they certainly haven’t lived up to their billing.

I remain very optimistic about them both but if Kakko has another underwhelming season on the stat sheet this year, we’ll really have to start thinking about the B word, at least relative to his draft position.

If both Kakko and Lafrenière fail to live up to expectations, I am convinced there's something fundamentally wrong with this organisation.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Can you honestly say that if you went back in time to that 2019 draft and a psychic told you he's not going to break 50pts after 3 seasons in the league; that you wouldn't be disappointed? He was billed as the most NHL ready prospect imaginable, so much so that during the draft Sportsnet's graphic said "Room for Improvement: None". This was the kid who shattered Barkov & Laine's goals records in Liiga. This is the kid who scored 5 goals in 2 games against men at the World Championships. Look back at threads in 2019 and see what everybody's expectations were. In a poll on the main boards 74.2% of voters believed he'd put up at least 50pts in his rookie season.

You’re right. I was probably one of the people who voted yes.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If you'd add to that the fact that he wasn't given much of a chance to produce and the coach basically told him he can't play the game his way, I'd be a lot less disappointed.

In one sense Quinn was right, he couldn't play the game his way, because the way he plays requires him to be a lot more powerful than he is. Which is resolved by training. I hope that people won't be super disappointed if he doesn't fly out there this season. Skating is something that can be improved but it also takes a good few years.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If you'd add to that the fact that he wasn't given much of a chance to produce and the coach basically told him he can't play the game his way, I'd be a lot less disappointed.
It will be a huge year for him, he's at the point where he needs to prove himself and he's also going to be under a new coach. If he does break out into some like 70pt beast, I wonder if Quinn ever lands a job in the NHL again.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It will be a huge year for him, he's at the point where he needs to prove himself and he's also going to be under a new coach. If he does break out into some like 70pt beast, I wonder if Quinn ever lands a job in the NHL again.

Quinn has had a positive effect on every young player we've had outside of Lias and at this point i think its obvious where the blame lies there as he hasn't done jack with L.A. either. Kakko had no idea how to play north american hockey, i knew it was going to be a problem when i saw that wrap around goal before the season started and how he mentioned his coach told him to not pass the puck....he was out of his element here, the guy that started that season and the guy thay started last season were worlds apart. I'm happy we got Gallant, but Quinn helped develop these players, guys like Lindgren, Chytil, Laf and Kakko are all better then when they started here by a lot.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Kakkos gonna have a massive year. I'm predicting 25g 35 assists.
Kakkos gonna have a massive year. I'm predicting 25g 35 assists.
ott0408-sensjl.jpg

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Quinn has had a positive effect on every young player we've had outside of Lias and at this point i think its obvious where the blame lies there as he hasn't done jack with L.A. either. Kakko had no idea how to play north american hockey, i knew it was going to be a problem when i saw that wrap around goal before the season started and how he mentioned his coach told him to not pass the puck....he was out of his element here, the guy that started that season and the guy thay started last season were worlds apart. I'm happy we got Gallant, but Quinn helped develop these players, guys like Lindgren, Chytil, Laf and Kakko are all better then when they started here by a lot.

I don't think you can just say "NA hockey". Kakko is looking for a more complete game from his line mates.
He stood out like a sore thumb even last season, not because of lack of talent, but because his approach was so different to many of the others.
If you had plopped him down in say Colorado, Florida, Carolina, maybe even Vegas he'd have fitted in much better.

To me the best line, as in a unit of three forwards, the Rangers had last season was Kreider-Chytil-Kakko. Kreider's back issues meant we didn't see it much, but that line was the only line playing the style of hockey I expect to see under Gallant, capable of grinding the boards and cycling the puck. Laf-Zib-Buch was also good, but they broke that line up with the Buch trade.

The addition of Gallant should be a huge boost for Kakko and hopefully others like Chytil.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
IMHO Kakko took greater strides in the past year on becoming a well-rounded player suited to the North American game than Chytil took in the last TWO years. Now, can he work his pre-draft scoring ability back into the tool mix this year? Hoping so, but impossible to know.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
IMHO Kakko took greater strides in the past year on becoming a well-rounded player suited to the North American game than Chytil took in the last TWO years. Now, can he work his pre-draft scoring ability back into the tool mix this year? Hoping so, but impossible to know.

Agree about KK. Disagree about Chytil. I'm going to keep repeating this until the cows come home, based on ATOI metrics, Chytil was last year our best all around and complete center. The only thing he lacks right now is faceoff ability, which I really hope he is practicing like 12 hours a day until he passes out. And he can probably still afford to bulk up a bit. But otherwise, Chytil has grown both offensively and defensively and he still has way more to go.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

I think Quinn deserves both criticism and praise. He has helped guys develop their complete game. But I wouldn't say he has helped guys become "all they can be". His use of lines, especially last season, was mind boggling. I am not sure if he believed that "chemistry" is a thing. In the long run, I do think certain players will be better for their time under Quinn. But I also think it was plain as day that something he was doing was preventing some of the players from really taking that next step. Whether that was how he used them, how they trained, I'm not really sure. Obviously, it worked for Fox. But as far as Laf, Kakko and Chytil, I think as much as he might have helped them in some areas, in other areas he held them back a bit. It was definitely time for him to go.

Reactions: Ippenator

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
If both Kakko and Lafrenière fail to live up to expectations, I am convinced there's something fundamentally wrong with this organisation.

Agreed. These were supposed to be two of the most "can't miss" prospects of the last decade. The odds of us missing on both seems minuscule unless it's something specific to the organization. Which would be utterly disappointing considering the other players that were available in their respective draft classes and when thinking about what only "could have been" for KK and AL. But I think every single other NHL team would have drafted exactly as we did in regard to KK and AL. So it's not like we can question the team for making those choices.

If there is something going on in the organization to cause this, we better hope it gets figured out by next season, before AL and KK have gone too far off the mark to return. I just can't imagine what that "thing" would be. Which is why I think Quinn gets a lot of the excess blame. Well, we should know this upcoming season whether or not it was Quinn or something else, causing this. If it's same old same old under Gallant, then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think Mark Stone is the better comp. Just think Hossa was a better skater

but I'd take either one :nod:

20 25 45

I like where kakkos game is...and I feel like gallant is the kinda coach who will feed him more time in more favorable situations based on his overall play level.

I think it all depends on who gets to play on PP1.

I expect a solid season from Kakko (40-50pts) but with Laf, I could easily see a breakout, 70pts, season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agreed. These were supposed to be two of the most "can't miss" prospects of the last decade. The odds of us missing on both seems minuscule unless it's something specific to the organization. Which would be utterly disappointing considering the other players that were available in their respective draft classes and when thinking about what only "could have been" for KK and AL. But I think every single other NHL team would have drafted exactly as we did in regard to KK and AL. So it's not like we can question the team for making those choices.

If there is something going on in the organization to cause this, we better hope it gets figured out by next season, before AL and KK have gone too far off the mark to return. I just can't imagine what that "thing" would be. Which is why I think Quinn gets a lot of the excess blame. Well, we should know this upcoming season whether or not it was Quinn or something else, causing this. If it's same old same old under Gallant, then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Yeah. There is no way I am blaming the scouting or GM for picking Kakko or Lafrenière. If they don't hit their expected ceiling, it's on the organization as a whole, and how they managed them afterwards.

When comparing him to Hossa, some guy said "He's nothing like Hossa. Hossa was a great defender and great offensively and a HOFer."

He's gonna make some folks look silly one of these days.

Do people realise Hossa at the same age had only 30 points in 60 games? He wasn't anywhere close to the player we got to know later on.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I think Mark Stone is the better comp. Just think Hossa was a better skater

but I'd take either one :nod:

I think it all depends on who gets to play on PP1.

I expect a solid season from Kakko (40-50pts) but with Laf, I could easily see a breakout, 70pts, season.

Yea, I think, at least to start the season ,the only PP1 "guarantees" right now are Fox, Panarin and Zibby. My guess is Laf gets on there also. But that 5th guy, I am really not sure. Strome? Chytil? Maybe Miller if he has gotten better and because of his shot? I wouldn't be opposed to seeing two Dmen on the PP1. I really would eventually be curious to see Jones and Lundqvist or Jones or Miller and Fox paired together on the PP. Well, not saying it would work, but I am curious how that would go eventually. It will probably depend a lot on what happens in preseason/training camp. Obviously if one or two guys explode with progress that could change things, as could injury etc...

As far as Kakko goes, at least right now, he looks more suited for the PK than PP to me. But time will tell.

Reactions: CasusBelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia