Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kahkonen to New Jersey for G Vitek Vanecek

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I'm hoping this isn't a 1 for 1 trade, because that seems to make little sense for us.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In Washington, he was a legitimate 1B. I know he's had a bad year, but this is somewhat understandable. I wonder if Blackwood is on the move; perhaps to CBJ for Merzlikins or EDM for Campbell? Probably too late for that...

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Can’t be straight up

I don't see why not. Kahkonen gets his shot to play for a better team, the sharks can run with Chrona/Blackwood for a bit to see if Chrona is ready and next season you've got 2 goalies on expiring contracts who could hold trade value instead of Kahkonen walking this summer for nothing.

Worst case this is Kahkonen 2.0 just with the decision kicked down the road for a year.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's making 3.4 for next season, though, we could've addressed the backup situation for less than that.

Also something with Devin Cooley?

At this rate we'll have trouble hitting the floor so it doesn't really matter. Maybe you can find a cheaper goalie in UFA but that guy would probably want term.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Mike Grier value play

Didn't get the value he hoped for on Kahkonen so he got another reclamation project goalie with an extra year on his deal in hopes of squeezing value out of him next deadline

It's not cute anymore Mike, you're f***ing dead to me
A little quibble in that he wasn't the one who targeted Kakhonen, no?

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Mike Grier value play

Didn't get the value he hoped for on Kahkonen so he got another reclamation project goalie with an extra year on his deal in hopes of squeezing value out of him next deadline

It's not cute anymore Mike, you're f***ing dead to me
KICK THAT CAN BABY

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
A little quibble in that he wasn't the one who targeted Kakhonen, no?
I meant he didn't get value out of trading away Kahkonen

Grier's whole bit is flipping assets for more and more value, he couldn't get value out of Kahkonen this deadline as a pending UFA, so he just kicked the can down the road one more year, he'll try flipping Vanecek next deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad