Injury Report: JVR Out 6-8 Weeks

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I would like to see JVR play with two really big line mates. I know that JVR doesn't play a very physical game... but I could see a line with guys who are like 6'4 being really tough to deal with.

Sundin and Poni.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leivo will have to work his way up the lineup.

Also, it's not a bad idea to give more minutes to Matthias and/or Lupul to get them to increase their value with more exposure.

If Leivo excels in the role he's put in, I have no doubt he'll rise up in the lineup.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Let Leivo start on a lower line so he earns his ice time and has a chance to get acclimated to the pace of the NHL. It's kind of a catch 22 since limiting a player's opportunities can kill his production, but so can throwing him on the top line and watching him struggle to adapt immediately.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Babs already said Matthais is taking JVR's spot for now. Leivo-Holland-Lupul is a great line for Leivo to get re-acclimatized as long as Lupul isn't a dead weight.

Lust4LEAFS

London Knights Scout
Jan 28, 2011
London, ON
Blessing in disguise

Although it sucks to obviously lose your best player for 2 months, this is really the best news to come out of Toronto. Toronto was playing well above their performance level (which i really attribute to Babcock's new system and leadership) and winning too many games.

1) This gives us a great opportunity to showcase Lupul on the top line so that hopefully he can produce and we can flip him for something at the TDL.

2) Most importantly, makes this team far far worse in terms of offense and will make our team drop in the standings. This team needs this 1 last building block (Matthews/Laine/Pulj/Chychurun) to start building a solid team. A top 4 pick plus another year of Hunter scouting with multiple picks in multiple rounds i think gives us a fantastic FANTASTIC opportunity here.

I hate "tanking" as much as the next guy but a top 4 pick is the goal of 2016, THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

This is a fantastic time to be a leaf fan, this team i believe will be something to be very proud of within 3 years time. I'm excited.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Really hoping this is the start of Leivos NHL career and not only a replacement callup. Seeing "Meh"abello go back to the Marlies is encouraging.

Best of luck, Josh

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
I would like to see JVR play with two really big line mates. I know that JVR doesn't play a very physical game... but I could see a line with guys who are like 6'4 being really tough to deal with.

He'd probably look good in Anaheim or LA with that in mind.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
That's unfortunate for James, but, the tank grows tankier and Matthias gets a chance to bolster his trade value with inflated top line minutes.

I think Lupul is almost done, the Leafs might be stuck with him to the bitter end.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd like to see Holland move up into JVR's slot in the meantime. I think he could do a pretty good JVR impression up there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
zeke said:
Arco's a C. He's playing out of position on the W.
Arco's with the Marlies, the rest are wingers who can fill in as C's if we're desperate from what I remember. Matthias is the only one who makes me think twice

Last edited:

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Matthias played like a 3rd liner, Lupul played like a 3rd liner, Leivo played like a 2nd liner and actually got a few good chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad