JvR Appreciation Thread

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At the end of his current contract he'll be 29, his play will diminish greatly and we shouldn't be re-signing players that old.

Just another example of the Leafs trading their draft picks for quick fixes. When will we learn to keep our young players?

Did you forget to put the i'm joking in? ok ok yes you did

Last edited:

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
I'm still in disbelief that Burke got this guy for Schenn!

And 4 more years at a $4.25M Caphit...Has to be one of the best values in the league.

This was a Nonis deal would of been done sooner if Burke would've gave the thumbs up sooner

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Say what you will about him, but look at the most valuable players we had on the roster when he arrived. Antropov? Stajan? Ponikarovski? White? Tlusty?

Now, Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Lupul. I'm sure everyone would agreed that none of those previous assets would rank any better than 8th on the current roster.

Despite some obvious mistakes along the way, the notion that Burke did anything but build a positive foundation for the Leafs is laughable at best.

If Burke had managed to get another high end center prospect then there is no doubt that he would have successfully set this team up for long term success. I love this teams core, hoping Kadri can make a huge jump to being a permanent top 6 center, we'd be in a lot better shape but if he can't then this team still has weak center depth.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Favourite player on the team.

His stats would be even better if he didn't have to play center those games we lost Bozak and Bolland.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
He definitely rules. Especially when he starts throwing his weight around and really hitting people (i.e. Georges hit on Sat, and the shoulder injury he gave malkin last year). He's the ideal winger - big, fast, great hands, physical, goes to the dirty areas....

Best of all he's on a steal of a contract.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Say what you will about him, but look at the most valuable players we had on the roster when he arrived. Antropov? Stajan? Ponikarovski? White? Tlusty?

Now, Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Lupul. I'm sure everyone would agreed that none of those previous assets would rank any better than 8th on the current roster.

Despite some obvious mistakes along the way, the notion that Burke did anything but build a positive foundation for the Leafs is laughable at best.

Most valuable asset was probably Kaberle, and he'd probably be ranked around #5 on that list in terms of value at the time.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
im still shocked he fell into our lap for a bottom pairing dman. best downlow player on the leafs since Sundin.

do you guys consider him a power forward tho?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
a8b87c8ad01a6e721c3aebf304c204e0aef1e3906d40cfd5a68b253eec78925b.jpg

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
im still shocked he fell into our lap for a bottom pairing dman. best downlow player on the leafs since Sundin.

I do but not necessarily because he's physical mostly because of his size and his ability to screen the goalie and get dirty goals There no other way to characterise him, not a playmaker, not a sniper, not a grinder, not a 2 way, not an enforcer.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Mini Mats for sure, and not that mini either...

wow. now that you mention it...

yeah. Our big boy up front. just on the wing, not at centre.

I've said it before, it is very rare that you can actually see people thinking on the ice, but when JVR decides to go wide on someone, you can see in the body language of the player he's going wide against and it's literally. "Oh... fuuuuuuuu......" because they know he's beat.

and the think about him too - you forget how young he is (he's like what? 24?!) and he's been in a finals and all this other stuff, and he's a beast.

really like him and I really hope the Leafs sign Trevor Van Reimsdyk and draft the other.

kaner13

Mar 27, 2011
wow. now that you mention it...

yeah. Our big boy up front. just on the wing, not at centre.

I've said it before, it is very rare that you can actually see people thinking on the ice, but when JVR decides to go wide on someone, you can see in the body language of the player he's going wide against and it's literally. "Oh... fuuuuuuuu......" because they know he's beat.

and the think about him too - you forget how young he is (he's like what? 24?!) and he's been in a finals and all this other stuff, and he's a beast.

really like him and I really hope the Leafs sign Trevor Van Reimsdyk and draft the other.

I wouldn't mind signing FVR (Franz, his dad) too, guy has some size as seen in 24/7. A few of my buddies met him at a bar/restaurant on Winter Classic weekend and apparently he's a beauty!

Seriously though, great pickup he has been and a very unique blend of size, speed and skill. Keep forgetting how young he is as well. :)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
big phil is number 5 in goals and jvr is number 19, pretty good having 2 of the top 20 goal scorers in the league on the leafs

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

most definitely.

he may not hit a lot, but hes just a beast especially during his drives to the net

he's extremely skilled, and plays a powerforward game.

Durkin67

I wrote a piece about this once when I used to blog...It was called "The Other side of Truculence". He's not a hitter, but he's tough because he takes hits to hang in the paint and make goalies miserable. He's hella strong by all accounts, and he's really tough to defend against when he drives the net. Mini Mats is pretty close...

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/822-jvr-the-other-side-of-truculence

Durkin67

This was a Nonis deal would of been done sooner if Burke would've gave the thumbs up sooner

The delay was due to JvR's injury issues at the time. Burke was waiting to see how his recovery went before pulling the trigger.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Had an rotten dream last night in which Nonis decided that he needed an upgrade in goal so he traded Reimer and JVR to Ottawa for Anderson...:help:

TheThrill81*

Had an rotten dream last night in which Nonis decided that he needed an upgrade in goal so he traded Reimer and JVR to Ottawa for Anderson...:help:

You need to stop dreaming...forever.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad