Rumor: Justin Williams to Pens for Paul MARtin (rumor article)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well, Martin would be the second best Defender on the team behind Doughty.

I think it would hinge on if Lombardi was sure he could resign Martin to a good deal.

Would suck to see J-Dub go, but Lombardi has to do something on the defensive side of the Puck that has an impact.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember hearing that Williams negotiation deadline had been extended until the end of January, I'll see if I can find it.

It mentions JW talks here, saying that he wanted talks done by the end of december, Lombardi wanted them done by the end of january and negotiated a discussion extension (not necessarily till the end of January)

http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/01/mayors-minutes-on-nhl-radio-scf-rematch-plus-la-problems/

At about the 7:30 mark.

renegotiated a negotiation. Negoception.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
tumblr_mt7z97zJYo1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Trade Williams for Martin, Richards for a 5th and sign Frolov for 10 years at 550K.

Problems solved.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Paul (Prime Minister of Defense) Martin =/= Williams

VERY STRONG NO. both in terms of if I would do that deal as DL, and how bittersweet seeing JW14 leave would be. No. There's only 3 forwards I would keep above Williams (Kopi, Carter, Toffoli) but I'm admittedly biased here.

McNabb, McBain, Schultz, all the new guys back there have been better than I thought they'd be, Bainer especially. Martinez and Doughty have been excellent, no surprises there. Okay Schultz isn't great, but Matt Greene is a liability all the time, even if I do like what he brings when the play is dead.

Greene is great after the whistles, he's a presence out there but he blows assignments consistently. MG leaves gaps between him and his man that are too big for a slow-handed tugboat to make up AFTER his mark has the puck. He doesn't even bat pucks away these days, terrible puck-stick handeye.

I would try to see what I could get for a package of Mike Richards and Green(siev)e, with a draft pick for a slightly below elite level defenseman, like say Klein with the Rangers or Shattenkirk in STL. DL knows something has to get done, but it's not dealing Williams for a guy who last year would have been the 4-5 guy on the D-corps.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
In the words of the great philosopher Triumph the Insult Comic dog, that is a great trade...for me to poop on!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I wonder how much Williams is looking for

I'm sure it's something significant. Williams did DL a favor with the last contract, due in large part to feeling like he owed the team something after they took a chance on him when he was considered injury prone.

Nows a different story. Williams is a Conn Smythe winner and this is the last multi year deal he'll get. It wouldn't surprise me if he's looking for something around 6-7 years at a 5 million AAV, whereas DL is probably trying to sell him on a contract similar to Gaborik's.

DL would have more wiggle room if he hadn't chosen to bring back MR. As a huge proponent of him doing so, I have to eat some crow here. Richards is going to impact this team negatively for years to come. DL screwed up big time.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
VERY STRONG NO. both in terms of if I would do that deal as DL, and how bittersweet seeing JW14 leave would be. No. There's only 3 forwards I would keep above Williams (Kopi, Carter, Toffoli) but I'm admittedly biased here.

McNabb, McBain, Schultz, all the new guys back there have been better than I thought they'd be, Bainer especially. Martinez and Doughty have been excellent, no surprises there. Okay Schultz isn't great, but Matt Greene is a liability all the time, even if I do like what he brings when the play is dead.

Greene is great after the whistles, he's a presence out there but he blows assignments consistently. MG leaves gaps between him and his man that are too big for a slow-handed tugboat to make up AFTER his mark has the puck. He doesn't even bat pucks away these days, terrible puck-stick handeye.

I would try to see what I could get for a package of Mike Richards and Green(siev)e, with a draft pick for a slightly below elite level defenseman, like say Klein with the Rangers or Shattenkirk in STL. DL knows something has to get done, but it's not dealing Williams for a guy who last year would have been the 4-5 guy on the D-corps.

Richards /Greene nets you not even a top 4 defender, that is way too much salary going one way. Folks you have to think about another teams needs.

Teams are going to want compensation for taking Richards contract, be it salary retention or a bad contract coming back. No team is going to give up a legit top four defender for Richards, or Richards in a package.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's too much going on, I think, to make that kind of deal. Who knows with Voynov, Pearson is done, and who knows when Toffoli gets back. There's obviously a need for a defenseman, but you're going to lose another forward to get it done? That doesn't seem to be how Lombardi works.

If Lombardi were to trade Williams, that means he doesn't think the Kings can go deep. He didn't trade Mitchell last year, even knowing he wouldn't be re-signing him. I'd rather he trade Williams for younger assets only at that point, then a soon to be 34 year old free agent-to-be defenseman, who probably wouldn't be the difference between a 1st or 3rd round exit anyway.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i like martin, but now with Toffoli out a few weeks and Pearson our long term can we really lose Williams?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm sure it's something significant. Williams did DL a favor with the last contract, due in large part to feeling like he owed the team something after they took a chance on him when he was considered injury prone.

Nows a different story. Williams is a Conn Smythe winner and this is the last multi year deal he'll get. It wouldn't surprise me if he's looking for something around 6-7 years at a 5 million AAV, whereas DL is probably trying to sell him on a contract similar to Gaborik's.

DL would have more wiggle room if he hadn't chosen to bring back MR. As a huge proponent of him doing so, I have to eat some crow here. Richards is going to impact this team negatively for years to come. DL screwed up big time.

Williams may get $5 million per year (though I think that might be overshooting it unless he has another really good playoff) but he won't get a six or seven year deal. No one is commiting to him until he's 39 or 40.

In the words of the great philosopher Triumph the Insult Comic dog, that is a great trade...for me to poop on!

:laugh: I had forgot about him.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
That's too much to give up on. Really, I much rather trade a package of Greene/Stoll, which might be painful at first (read: one week) but it will grant the Kings much-needed cap space and roster space for call-ups.

One of the best formulae for call-ups is do it by group (read: with pre-existing chemistry in the farm).

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Richards /Greene nets you not even a top 4 defender, that is way too much salary going one way. Folks you have to think about another teams needs.

Teams are going to want compensation for taking Richards contract, be it salary retention or a bad contract coming back. No team is going to give up a legit top four defender for Richards, or Richards in a package.
Exactly!!

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I could see this being another smoke screen like the Gagner rumor last year to put other GMs on the spot. Superficially it makes sense, but realistically its a dumb trade. It's clear our needs are for a RH D man.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Madden is not a credible source. But if it were to happen we'd never hear the end of it on the trade boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad