Rumor: Justin Williams to Pens for Paul MARtin (rumor article)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
In a very weird trade rumor, from Pitts is an article that ref. a Pitts sports talk show host mentioning a rumor of a JW for Paul Martin trade, which I scoffed at. The only thing that might be a sliver of possibility is that it's now nearing the end of the JW contract extension deadline that he and his agent agreed to at the end of Dec.
At the time that first release was issued, it was something like they wanted a deal done right away, within 2 weeks or something like that or wait until summer. I thought at the time it was as if the agent was holding a gun to DL to force his hand. But the fact nothing has happened, even after the extension, makes me wonder

I don't think the holdup is $$ , although that might be a part f it, I think it's term. He'll turn 34 in Oct and maybe he feels this is a retirement contract, that he wants 5 years and DL wants 2 to 3 year deal. That might be the sticking point. I still don't see JW being moved but that would be the only way, if the agent is adamaent on term and DL wont' go that long and doesn't want JW to walk this summer and Martin would provide the upgrade at D without giving up a top youig player or prospect , which is part of the asking price of the available D. Martin's contract is up this year. So it might be a swap of rentals, but given the 15 goals in 3 games and the Kings slippery D, maybe DL doesn't want to wait until March and this way, doesn't lose any vital young player or prospect????

Most likely this doesn't have legs but I thought I'd post it anyway

http://penslabyrinth.com/2015/01/11/paul-martin-justin-williams-trade-rumor/

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Ugh no, I don't wanna lose Williams even though he has real good value. He's the glue that keeps our forwards together, much like Mitchell was for the D last year. Martin is getting too old and doesn't shoot right handed. Seems like it would be a desperation trade by DL...

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Even if there was a very small possibility, don't see a chance now that we lost TT and TP. Martin seems kinda old too, so don't know how much he will bring to the D. But damn, if the Pens add Williams they'd be pretty much unstoppable in the regular season

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Even if there was a very small possibility, don't see a chance now that we lost TT and TP. Martin seems kinda old too, so don't know how much he will bring to the D. But damn, if the Pens add Williams they'd be pretty much unstoppable in the regular season

I agree on Martin, esp the facft he's 33 and I assumed whatever D DL gets for his upgrade would be under 30

But what if, like last year with Mitchell, for whatever the sticking point is on why the deal hasn't been done, he knows he can't sign JW?? As much as I love JW , from the time he was a rookie with the FLyers ,who gave up on him too soon (like Sharpe and JVR among others) but as much as DL loves him, he's a GM first , this is a business and the players are commodities.
IF he feels that contract won't be signed, he'll move him rather than lose him for nothing. it might not be now, but if he knows they can't agree, then maybe by Mar 2.
Sometimes the business end of it sucks...

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I agree on Martin, esp the facft he's 33 and I assumed whatever D DL gets for his upgrade would be under 30

But what if, like last year with Mitchell, for whatever the sticking point is on why the deal hasn't been done, he knows he can't sign JW?? As much as I love JW , from the time he was a rookie with the FLyers ,who gave up on him too soon (like Sharpe and JVR among others) but as much as DL loves him, he's a GM first , this is a business and the players are commodities.
IF he feels that contract won't be signed, he'll move him rather than lose him for nothing. it might not be now, but if he knows they can't agree, then maybe by Mar 2.
Sometimes the business end of it sucks...

Williams won't do any talks until after the season if DL has already passed the soft deadline his agent gave.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We went over this one on the trade board a few times. Ugh.

Dl has been linked to martin in the past so there's that, but it just doesn't make sense in any way, even more so now that we're down wingers. Even if we weren't going to sign him in UFA, trading for another UFA that's a marginal upgrade on D for a major downgrade on wing just doesn't even make sense. Pens fans love this trade, that shoudl tell you more about what you need to know.

We can get another d-man without giving up a valuable winger. We have other assets that are moveable before williams.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, I thought Pens fans thought Martin was brutal? He doesn't seem that special to me, or at least more special than Williams, who is a decent scorer and playoff performer.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Martin would be a big upgrade on D. I'd do it if Williams wants a huge pay day. Martin is worth more...

Meh, I think their value is equal. It's not a bad trade in a vacuum, but Williams is SUPER valuable to us.

Where do you think Martin fits in that he's such a big upgrade on D? He gives us some flexibility, but that's about it imo. It's not worth the downgrade on wing to upgrade slightly on D.

I'd rather give up lesser assets for a Petry. If we're coughing up more major pieces, we're going after a bigger fish than Martin.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, I thought Pens fans thought Martin was brutal? He doesn't seem that special to me, or at least more special than Williams, who is a decent scorer and playoff performer.

Many do, he just suddenly turns into an elite defenseman when they include him in trade proposals. But in reality he is a very good #2, would be an excellent compliment to Doughty if Muzzin weren't there.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Meh, I think their value is equal. It's not a bad trade in a vacuum, but Williams is SUPER valuable to us.

Where do you think Martin fits in that he's such a big upgrade on D? He gives us some flexibility, but that's about it imo. It's not worth the downgrade on wing to upgrade slightly on D.

I'd rather give up lesser assets for a Petry. If we're coughing up more major pieces, we're going after a bigger fish than Martin.

He's much better than Regehr or anyone on our 2nd pairing currently. He would have been perfect for Slava.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Williams won't do any talks until after the season if DL has already passed the soft deadline his agent gave.

This goes back to hockey being a business first. IF that deal hasn't been signed in the last 2 month there is a reason for that and DL can't risk waiting until summer and then losing JW for nothing if he signs elsewhere.
And the "sign now or wait until summer" was the agent's idea to force DL' hand and it backfired. So either JW rethinks his stance or DL finds a trade.
But I can't see him letting JW walk , he'd be a good fit on any playoff bound team if DL can get a good value in return

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's much better than Regehr or anyone on our 2nd pairing currently. He would have been perfect for Slava.

I can agree with that. I guess the 'issue' is we'd then have to move out a defenseman imo, because we'd have a ton of SAH types in Regehr, Greene, sort of McNabb, Schultz. Muzzin-Doughty, Martin-McNabb(?), Martinez-Greene? It still just feels...weird. And again, I really like Paul Martin, he's almost always been under the radar, it's just not a good trade. And I also think Regehr is getting a raw deal in this case as he's played VERY well for us as a defensive d-man on the 2nd pairing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This goes back to hockey being a business first. IF that deal hasn't been signed in the last 2 month there is a reason for that and DL can't risk waiting until summer and then losing JW for nothing if he signs elsewhere.
And the "sign now or wait until summer" was the agent's idea to force DL' hand and it backfired. So either JW rethinks his stance or DL finds a trade.
But I can't see him letting JW walk , he'd be a good fit on any playoff bound team if DL can get a good value in return

I don't see why not, it's been DL's MO to go to the playoffs before letting guys walk, like Mitchell and Scuderi. Why upset the chemistry?

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
10bowiegifs4.gif

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Seems like the way the season has gone on Lombardi would be focusing on bringing in a younger defensemen with upside for a player like Williams or Stoll. If Nick Shore lights the world on fire it wouldn't surprise me to see a forward moved for defense, the Kings simply cannot score 3-4 goals a game to win consistently. They must keep the puck out of the net, does a guy like Paul Matin help, sure, the guy is a smart, savvy vet who doesn't make dumb plays and I think that's what Sutter covets the most. That said with Pearson out long term and Toffoli unknown the Kings won't be able to score any goals without Williams as well so it doesn't matter how many defensemen you have.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I can't see DL trading the reigning Conn Smythe winner from the defending Cup champions. I think DL won't forfeit the future trivially, but he will do what he can to give us a chance to repeat as best he can. Martin helps us with that, losing Williams does not.

Not to mention in light of Toffoli and Pearson's injuries, I doubt trading a forward is on his radar right now.

I'd imagine DL would target a puckmoving blueliner from a team that is outside the playoff picture come the deadline. In the meantime he's likely trying to figure out how much cap space he'll have/need come the deadline as well as seeing where guys like Toffoli are at and maybe even keeping an eye on the Voynov situation. He goes back to court I believe it is on March 2nd and if he is found innocent or the charges are dropped, he could be back into the fold before the end of the season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't want to see Williams traded, I also don't see Dean giving him more than 3 years on a new deal.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember hearing that Williams negotiation deadline had been extended until the end of January, I'll see if I can find it.

It mentions JW talks here, saying that he wanted talks done by the end of december, Lombardi wanted them done by the end of january and negotiated a discussion extension (not necessarily till the end of January)

http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/01/mayors-minutes-on-nhl-radio-scf-rematch-plus-la-problems/

At about the 7:30 mark.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad