Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz to Seattle

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I am on a roller coaster about this signing. He was a damn good player in Pittsburgh. He wasn't in Washington, though he was serviceable. Why the decline? Can you go back to what he was in Pittsburgh for Seattle? 32 isn't old enough to where he can't resurrect his best qualities. At this moment I'm seeing the potential. Yesterday I didn't and was very down on this signing. Going to be a guy I'll be watching like a hawk early in the season to be sure.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Soucy-Schultz could be a tidy little pairing, and I don't think this means Seattle is out on Klingberg either. This D would not be so bad all things considered:

Oleksiak-Klingberg
Soucy-Schultz
Dunn-Larsson
Borgen

No real first pairing but three passable second units is a very Vegas-like approach that could pan out well.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Soucy-Schultz could be a tidy little pairing, and I don't think this means Seattle is out on Klingberg either. This D would not be so bad all things considered:

Oleksiak-Klingberg
Soucy-Schultz
Dunn-Larsson
Borgen

No real first pairing but three passable second units is a very Vegas-like approach that could pan out well.

Did Oleksiak and Klingberg ever pair up when big rig was with the Stars? Pretty good pairings and I think we all are keen on keeping Larsson and Dunn together, so we all know what to work with. An injury will happen and Evans will probably be the guy to get the shot, so we'll see him. I don't think he WANTS that, but it's probably best for his development.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Oleksiak-Klingberg
Soucy-Schultz
Dunn-Larsson
Borgen

We just signed an RHD who can move the puck a bit and only have a bit over ten million left in cap space, while also having to sign a couple of our RFA's.

We're out on Klingberg unless we're moving a contract like Donskoi's or Wennberg's, IMO, and I've got no problem with that.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I'm not sure we should lump the Lauzon return into this signing. Keeping them as two totally seperate transactions won't taint the positive return of last year's TDL ;)

As for Borgen, I don't think a young defenseman that has only played 50 NHL games over a couple of years, and most of them not in a row, could be viewed as a player that has peaked.

If he were a LHD, he would have gotten time with the Sabres earlier, but Buffalo had RHD in Bogosian, Montour, Ristolainen, Miller and Jokiharju on the roster, and Borgen was waiver exempt.

Borgen was one of only a couple of Kraken players with a postive +/-.

There was only one game I believe where Hakstol paired Dunn with Borgen, and they were the best pairing for Seattle that night. But of course Hakstol sat Borgen the next day to play Lauzon. Go figure. I would love to see more of that pairing this season, as Borgen has the skating to keep up with Dunn, and they moved the puck really well together. Most of the season we saw Borgen with Lauzon or Fleury, Pair him with a mobile defensman with above average on ice awareness and I guarantee you will like the results.
I'm not really lumping them, and they play differently, just saying we traded one D man out and then brought one in so you get a free draft pick. I suppose it's smart, but I thought Lauzon had upside and I liked his mean streak so I'm not sure we're actually ahead.

I was a Buffalo fan. What you're saying about the RHD and all isn't exactly right. There were a lot of injuries and poor play and there were a number of times fans were asking about Borgen. He has taken the slow path to development, and he's not terrible, but I'm just not sure he will get any better than what you've already seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad