News Article: Justin Pogge Chases Storybook Ending To His Career

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Andrew Raycroft, Tukka Rask, and Justin Pogge. Bonafide Leafs legends.

Let's throw in Toskala too. Great coop of tendy's we've ran this past decade.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Good article. Its a shame upper brass made JFJ trade Rask, for obvious reasons. Pogge got the Kessel/Seguin treatment once Rask became a legit #1. I hope the guy can make a comeback.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

To be honest, he had a good game that night. It was only the game after that he struggled in. He had 3 great saves that game, let in a Colby Armstrong wrister from the dot and a tip-in. The issue with Pogge was with his mental game...something he's probably worked on given his situation.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Best of luck to him. Probably wouldn't want that comeback to be here, but hopefully things turn out alright. Just going to be a challenge. There are always more goalies than spots for them to play in the NHL.

Is a shame how things turned out in general. Leafs moved the wrong goalie. And that lead to even more pressure on Pogge. Glad he landed on his feet and made a good career for himself oversees.

Who knows how things will play out, but I'm sure for his own sake he'd love to be able to play in NA again.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
I don't think you can really say he was ever "in" the NHL. He was average-below average in every NA league he played in. He was grossly overrated because he benefited a great deal from that stingy Hitmen defense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Good article. Its a shame upper brass made JFJ trade Rask, for obvious reasons. Pogge got the Kessel/Seguin treatment once Rask became a legit #1. I hope the guy can make a comeback.

I doubt the upper brass commented at all on how to handle a fairly obscure first round prospect like Rask other than to say to JFJ "upgrade the goaltending." Wasn't the board's fault he's an idiot.

In any case, Pogge should find his happy ending somewhere else. That's not a name we need to rehabilitate.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's not like he couldn't out play our backups , and it doesn't look like Ramo is playing lights out for the Marlies .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Considering our lack of a backup for next season, why not toss him a Try-Out.

He's a bigger goalie, which Babcock likes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There is no reason whatsoever to not extend a PTO next season.

Pogge has no connection to the Leafs organization nor do they need to revisit some old ghost. It wouldn't be worth it just for the personal interest angle that'll be such a distraction.

"Random prodigal son returns."

Who cares?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I always wondered how Rask would of done in Toronto.

Enter league, get hammered by pucks from everywhere, lose confidence, have fans booing you... ...although Toronto really hasn't had the greatest netminding, it's been one big huge meat grinder for goaltending.

Laugh about his first game with a .904 save percentage.... but Chris Osgood's career is .905. The fact is, the Leafs were destructive to goaltenders, not constructive. Let's say Raycroft and Osgood were both going to have a 'bad' game. Osgood is automatically going to have 25% less goals against just based on total shots. Then who knows the factor when determining quality of shots. Where Raycroft lets in four goals, Osgood might be letting 2-3 goals. One goes on to win the Cup and raises discussion about whether or not deserves to be in the HHF, the other sits on the bench looking like he's about to jump from the Prince Edward Viaduct.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I thought it was the Bruins demanded Rask not the Leafs wanting to keep Pogge?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
MLSE brass to Ferguson: "We want you to acquire the NHL's worst starting goalie statistically from the previous season. And you will use one of the team's top prospects to do this."

Nobody see something wrong with this narrative?

As for Pogge, he was a good prospect who hit a wall. Who couldn't have rooted from a guy who started late and rode public transit with goalie gear to chase his hockey dream?

I don't see any threat of him returning to the NHL based on his current season. Goalies who get a second chance after going to Europe have dominated in the KHL not put up average or below average numbers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Best goalie prospect since Potvin? This isn't even hindsight, Rask was a much better prospect. Pogge was a guy who had a great WJC. The hype for Pogge was silly. Still can't believe the stupidity of JFJ.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
MLSE brass to Ferguson: "We want you to acquire the NHL's worst starting goalie statistically from the previous season. And you will use one of the team's top prospects to do this."

Nobody see something wrong with this narrative?

As for Pogge, he was a good prospect who hit a wall. Who couldn't have rooted from a guy who started late and rode public transit with goalie gear to chase his hockey dream?

I don't see any threat of him returning to the NHL based on his current season. Goalies who get a second chance after going to Europe have dominated in the KHL not put up average or below average numbers.

Only he wasn't. Pogge was crap once he was a pro. There was no wall, he just wasn't a very good goalie. People fell in love yet again with another world junior championship star. Another D'amigo.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Considering our lack of a backup for next season, why not toss him a Try-Out.

He's a bigger goalie, which Babcock likes

idk. The that last thing JP needs is to get boo'd outa Toronto a 2nd time. His life is going well. The Kings should give him a chance. Strong defensive scheme there will give him a realistic shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad