Justin Braun

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
1) he is one of the best skating defensemen I have seen in a while forwards and backwards. he is smooth transitioning and appears to get even more confident when he has the puck on his stick moving forward

2) he needs work defensively pretty bad. he puck watches a lot. he is not very good 1v1. he gets his momentum going one way and experienced forwards can easily take advantage of it. that being said he made incredible strides in the short time he was with the Sharks. I saw major improvements in his defense.

3) above average vision. he sees passing lanes, shooting lanes, and skating lanes well. much better when he is not under pressure.

4) shot from the point is quick and accurate. almost all deflectable snappers.

He is essentially polished offensively and raw defensively. If I had to guess right now I would say he is going to easily be a top 4 pairing and a possible top 2 guy.

In terms of a Demers comparison I would say Braun wins the offensive battle and Demers easily wins the defensive battle. Demers seems to have really slowed down in terms of offensive production, and i'm not quite sure why.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the kid has really made a name for himself so far. If he continues to play the rest of the way and gets the minutes he needs, he could be held in the same regard as Fowler, Carlson, and Shattenkirk as all-rookie dmen.

I was amazed the few games I saw him play this year as to how well he sees the game, skates, and passes. I agree with the above poster that says he needs to work on his defensive game, but that can be taught and will improve over time. But what he does have is something that cant be taught. Another gem find for the Sharks, as this kid has the makings of a future top 2-4 dman with top pairing power play written all over him. Excellent size as well.

Another kid I like in comparision to Braun is Steven Kampfer from Boston. That kid has all the offensive skills you could want as well. A 4th round steal that looks like he might stick with the Bruins even when Mark Stuart comes back. Pretty impressive group of young American defenders this year: Carlson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, McBain, Braun, and Kampfer all by years end could be on all-rookie ballots for defense...only Subban looks to be the only non American that will join this group.

pretty crazy stuff, now all we need is some more forwards stepping up!

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
I doubt he will ever be better than Demers.

For whatever reason offensive defenseman seem to step into the NHL, rack up points early and then hit a wall after 10-20 games. Demers did this last year, and Braun and Shattenkirk seem to be following the same pattern (although their current slumps have not yet impacted their numbers much, i believe their numbers will come back to earth in about a month).

I have little doubt that Demers will be a top pairing defenseman in the future. Braun may turn into one, but I doubt that he does. I definately think he will be a #3 at the least. With that said, I expect Vlasic, Demers and Doherty to be better in their primes. I think Petrecki could end up being a better player too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I doubt he will ever be better than Demers.

For whatever reason offensive defenseman seem to step into the NHL, rack up points early and then hit a wall after 10-20 games. Demers did this last year, and Braun and Shattenkirk seem to be following the same pattern (although their current slumps have not yet impacted their numbers much, i believe their numbers will come back to earth in about a month).

I have little doubt that Demers will be a top pairing defenseman in the future. Braun may turn into one, but I doubt that he does. I definately think he will be a #3 at the least. With that said, I expect Vlasic, Demers and Doherty to be better in their primes. I think Petrecki could end up being a better player too.

Petrecki seems to be the forgotten man in the group of young Shark dmen. I thought for sure he would be in the NHL much sooner then Braun, Demers, etc... he had a pro game and size during his draft year; any info as to what has taken him longer to make the jump then expected?

snaggle toof

Aug 29, 2006
Petrecki seems to be the forgotten man in the group of young Shark dmen. I thought for sure he would be in the NHL much sooner then Braun, Demers, etc... he had a pro game and size during his draft year; any info as to what has taken him longer to make the jump then expected?

Prior to playing at the AHL level, Petrecki could out muscle just about any opponent he lined up against, this has not been the case playing against grown men. It has taken him quite a while to adjust his game but I think he is starting to figure out the changes he needs to make. I personally don't think he will live up to his draft day potential, but still might make for a servicable NHL defender down the road.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Prior to playing at the AHL level, Petrecki could out muscle just about any opponent he lined up against, this has not been the case playing against grown men. It has taken him quite a while to adjust his game but I think he is starting to figure out the changes he needs to make. I personally don't think he will live up to his draft day potential, but still might make for a servicable NHL defender down the road.

From what ive heard this is spot on.

He and Doherty are definately my favorite defense prospects

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Braun's weird. For most of his collegiate career, he was known as a defensive stalwart without a great offensive game. From his senior season on, he's really picked up the offensive game at the expense of being solid defensively. If all goes well, he'll put the two together and be a very complete defender. But the most likely scenario is he'll have to choose one to sacrifice a bit.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Braun's weird. For most of his collegiate career, he was known as a defensive stalwart without a great offensive game. From his senior season on, he's really picked up the offensive game at the expense of being solid defensively. If all goes well, he'll put the two together and be a very complete defender. But the most likely scenario is he'll have to choose one to sacrifice a bit.

Kind of a similar story to Demers, who was always a defensive d-man until he made the AHL. A year later he exhibited some serious offensive potential, while putting both together this year. If he can get back to last years offensive game, while maintaining this years defensive game, he is going to be an awesome d-man. Also, IMO, Demers is one of the fastest d-men in the league.

Loving both him and Braun. It's a shame we couldn't hang on to Blake for one more year of tutelage for these two.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Braun is having a very similar development path to Demers.

Hopefully that will continue and Braun will shore up his defensive game like Demers has this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad