Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
If he doesn’t find his game, it’s going to turn into another Primeau situation. I’d hate to see him make the Habs only because he’s no longer waiver-exempt next season.
Would not help him either to sit in the box, maybe they try to sneak him through at the start of the season, when everyone has a full roster and many players hit waivers at the same time.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Too many D are pushing the envelope, I expect one or two young D packaged this summer. Pipeline of young, promising D has never been this full.
While the pipeline for promising forwards has continued to run dry.

I don’t know exactly where he stands on the depth chart but can’t imagine Barron’s value is very high right now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Would not help him either to sit in the box, maybe they try to sneak him through at the start of the season, when everyone has a full roster and many players hit waivers at the same time.
A solution might be to trade him for a similarly stagnating forward but who is waiver exempt.

Edit: oh wait, he had a good game yesterday, it changes everything!!!

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Seriously I don't think Barron has been terribad at all lately.
For me he's been a net positive.
I certainly don't see any of the constant falling over himself we saw in the NHL.
Those unforced errors were what disturbed me most about his play.

Last edited:

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Barron will be fine, he just needs more time to grow his game. Not every player figures it out at 22.

Barron, Reinbacher and Mailloux will all be full time on the Habs starting in 2025-2026. They will be our RDs, and they will compete for playing time.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I am not ready to write him off but he really needs to elevate his game another notch down the stretch especially defensively.
Yes he does. Xhreraj was able to reign himself in on the penalties, play better D and actually improve his offense down in the AHL. The reports I read on Barron in Laval aren't good. I'm just hoping the summer gives him a chance to compose himself and he works on these issues so that he gives himself a chance come September.

Reactions: Tyson

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He'll probably be in the NHL all year next year as the 7th D and rotate in with Kovacevic and when injuries happen

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
1711323159070.jpeg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's been decent t
Glad to hear he's showing something. This guy is an NHLer, and if he was under the old management, he'd be traded or ruined (or both) by now. He might have a lot of competition with our other young D but that also might insulate him and let him develop.
He's been decent to good his last 4 or 5 games. I mentioned it more than once in the GDT's.
People chose to ignore what I wrote for the most part because of their preconceived ideas? :dunno:
Many very very quick to point at any fault however. Seeing him dominate some of his shifts in the 3rd game in 3 days impressed me.
With his frame his remarkable fluidity as long as he moves the puck quickly boxes out and pinches the boards properly he can become a real stud.
Sidney Crosby was NOT wrong.

Reactions: Habssince89

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
BARRON BACK BABY. Surprised he played in Laval yesterday, guess winning in the AHL matter that much.
(.. or low key tanking in the nhl .. shhh ..)
Gonna be a gazzy boi sunday in New York. 3 in a row.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Thought he was easily the best player on the ice against Syracuse last night. He won't hurt Montreal's strongest asset: a mobile defence.
Until he can prove that he can play actual defense his mobility means nothing. His hockey IQ is also very suspect.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I felt he deserved to be sent down to the AHL, I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it. Struble has looked a little shaky recently.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Until he can prove that he can play actual defense his mobility means nothing. His hockey IQ is also very suspect.
Perhaps. But right now, he's a much better option than Mallioux who's hockey IQ, at least defensively-wise, is very suspect, while lacking Barron's mobility.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Perhaps. But right now, he's a much better option than Mallioux who's hockey IQ, at least defensively-wise, is very suspect, while lacking Barron's mobility.
After playing 80 NHL games and showing some good things it says alot about Barron being demoted imo. His inability to play competent defense will be his downfall if he doesn't improve that aspect.

Reactions: teamfirst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad