Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Justin Barron is the player I am most curious about this off-season. It is unclear to me if the Habs still believe in him or not, and he needs to be re-signed this off-season, and he also needs space to evolve if they are planning on continuing to develop him, or else they will risk losing him to waivers. I don't believe he will clear waivers, unless they sign him to a prohibitively expensive contract.

It was my belief that Cayden Primeau had fallen out of favour going into last off-season, but that clearly was not the case. Perhaps this could be a similar situation, but there is also the possibility that the Habs move some defensemen this off-season and that Barron is one of the D-men moved. It will be interesting to see how management deals with this situation this off-season.

Reactions: Runner77

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Sakic is probably still having a laugh over sending this 'core player' to us. lulz

I wonder if he knew Barron was actually scared of his own shadow when he made that trade.

I can't remember the last time Barron made a tape to tape pass.

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and Pomee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Justin Barron is the player I am most curious about this off-season. It is unclear to me if the Habs still believe in him or not, and he needs to be re-signed this off-season, and he also needs space to evolve if they are planning on continuing to develop him, or else they will risk losing him to waivers. I don't believe he will clear waivers, unless they sign him to a prohibitively expensive contract.

It was my belief that Cayden Primeau had fallen out of favour going into last off-season, but that clearly was not the case. Perhaps this could be a similar situation, but there is also the possibility that the Habs move some defensemen this off-season and that Barron is one of the D-men moved. It will be interesting to see how management deals with this situation this off-season.

it's what I would expect, Hughes showed he was willing to carry Primeau so I don't see why he wouldn't so the same for Barron, who has shown he has NHL level offense but has major issues defensively that will need a good bit of work and could limit his upside a lot if he can't improve enough.

But unless the Habs are planning on making the playoffs, I don't see why they wouldn't just carry him next year and work with him and hope he can step up a bit the next year as development with D prospects especially can take several years. I don't think they have anything to lose so might as well see what you can do with him vs losing him on waivers or trading him for another project but at forward.

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Struble barely cared about playing defense on that goal.
Should've left Toronto d-man Reilly to our imma get this #5 pick version of Brendan Gallagher instead of getting lost to Narnia.
I would say typical bonehead big man mindset if Struble was much much bigger.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
it's what I would expect, Hughes showed he was willing to carry Primeau so I don't see why he wouldn't so the same for Barron, who has shown he has NHL level offense but has major issues defensively that will need a good bit of work and could limit his upside a lot if he can't improve enough.

But unless the Habs are planning on making the playoffs, I don't see why they wouldn't just carry him next year and work with him and hope he can step up a bit the next year as development with D prospects especially can take several years. I don't think they have anything to lose so might as well see what you can do with him vs losing him on waivers or trading him for another project but at forward.
And Ylonen hasn't been placed on waivers even though he has done zip. It may be that this management group wants to give the players the max amount of time they can.

Ylonen ìs maxed out so he goes this off season.

I think Barron has to clear waivers, but Mailloux, Hutson ( if he is signed ) and Reinbacher will not, so let the last 3 guys develop in Laval and let Barron have his last shot at it next year.

Anybody can be traded, and many people think Harris will be part of a package to get a forward. Now Hughes pulls the trigger on trades, but for what its worth, if you go by ice time and situations, MSL for sure trusts Harris over Xhekaj and Struble. Although upside should favour Xhekaj Maybe it makes more sense to see what these guys have next year before picking who stays and goes. All of them are improving.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And Ylonen hasn't been placed on waivers even though he has done zip. It may be that this management group wants to give the players the max amount of time they can.

Ylonen ìs maxed out so he goes this off season.

I think Barron has to clear waivers, but Mailloux, Hutson ( if he is signed ) and Reinbacher will not, so let the last 3 guys develop in Laval and let Barron have his last shot at it next year.

Anybody can be traded, and many people think Harris will be part of a package to get a forward. Now Hughes pulls the trigger on trades, but for what its worth, if you go by ice time and situations, MSL for sure trusts Harris over Xhekaj and Struble. Although upside should favour Xhekaj Maybe it makes more sense to see what these guys have next year before picking who stays and goes. All of them are improving.
Do we have to protect Struble next year? I think this is his rookie year

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is not bad, but Reinbacher and Mailloux are ahead of him in depth chart. No doubt!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Basu- Godin.

They discussed that Barron was recalled over Reinbacher and Mailloux because Barron would hurt Laval the least.
Or maybe management felt that Barron was further along the development path than Mailloux and Reinbacher and didn't want to destroy their confidence and market value if they got exposed at the NHL level.

Barron in the two games against Toronto and the Rangers showed, that after Matheson, he's clearly our most mobile defencemen. He has the ability to transport the puck out of our defensive zone, through the neutral zone and gain possession in the offensive zone. Barron and Matheson are our only two defenceman who have the skating ability to beat defenders wide and circle behind the opposing net creating a breakdown of opposing teams defensive systems that leads to scoring chances like the excellent goal that Matheson set up Caufield for against the Leafs. Barron against the Rangers made several forays in the offensive zone including two where he circled the net creating chaos that led to scoring chances.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not as high on our defensive prospects as many here are.

Despite being one of Mailloux’s biggest boosters since he was surprisingly drafted by Bergevin, his skating has not progressed as I had hoped for. Mailloux, who’s offensive vision is unquestioned, has failed to display his ability to consistently transport the puck with control from our zone into the offensive zone. He may never have that ability.

Reinbacher, while projecting as a solid top four NHL defenceman, in my opinion lacks the dynamic skill set that will make him a difference maker. I think drafting him over Leonard will be a decision that plagues us over the coming years.

I remain unconvinced whether Hutson, who is clearly our most offensively gifted defensive prospect, has the skating ability to over come his size limitations that will allow him to have the same success at the NHL level that he has enjoyed in college.

Two of our brightest defensive prospects, Guhle and Xhekaj have proven to be injury prone. I am particularly worried about Xhekaj. Should his shoulder injury becomes a chronic one that regrettable outcome will certainly markedly limit his level of contribution going forward.

Struble has started to evidence some of the worrisome traits he displayed when he played for Laval earlier this year: improvident pinching and getting beaten wide . But he’s young and has time to improve. Harris has played surprisingly well this year showing mobility and a high compete level. But he is a smallish defender who, when playing against heavier teams, can be out muscled along the boards and, more importantly, in front of our net.

Kovacevic is a journeyman and Savard is 33. Is there any question as to why MSL needs Matheson to play 25+ minutes each game?

I have repeatedly posted that one of the reasons our talent starved team is competitive in most games is the overall level of the mobility of our defence. But there is a huge gap between competing and winning. Maybe that gap can be closed internally as our young defencemen improve with age. Maybe Mailloux and Hutson will be able to replicate their successes in the NHL. Maybe Reinbacher, despite my doubts, becomes the player they projected him to be when they drafted him 5 OA. Maybe Guhle and Xhejaj will manage to stay healthy.

But maybe not.

For those uncertainties, if a stud defenceman falls to us at the upcoming draft, I’m taking him regardless of our needs at the forward position.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Basu- Godin.

They discussed that Barron was recalled over Reinbacher and Mailloux because Barron would hurt Laval the least.

is that what they heard or are just speculating cause I don't know if that makes sense as you have Mailloux running PP1 and Barron running PP2 and I can say which PP has looked better then the other one. Ever since they broke up Trudeau Barron he's been playing better but the offense surprisingly hasn't been there but at least he can rush the puck up ice, whereas Mailloux is more of a shooter.

Reinbacher I can see not wanting to call him up as you want him to adjust to the smaller ice and not put too much pressure on him with the fans/media but Mailloux/Barron it's kind of hard to say which one would "hurt" Laval more by losing one of them as their games are similar as are their issues.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've like Barron's game for some time now and he's currently higher up the pecking order than any other defender in Laval.
The first Improvement I've noticed is mistakes aren't affecting his coordination which was a huge problem for him..
His puck movement has improved dramatically as has his decision making. He's also more physical and is breaking up more plays.
He was Laval's most dynamic defender when he got called up so IMO Arpon and Basu are off base on this one.
He's also been our second best defender these past two games.
Without Guhle there is no other defender other than Matheson who is capable of doing what he does.
When hoping for production out of Suzuki Slaf and Caufield I find myself looking for his presence on RD.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
is that what they heard or are just speculating cause I don't know if that makes sense as you have Mailloux running PP1 and Barron running PP2 and I can say which PP has looked better then the other one. Ever since they broke up Trudeau Barron he's been playing better but the offense surprisingly hasn't been there but at least he can rush the puck up ice, whereas Mailloux is more of a shooter.

Reinbacher I can see not wanting to call him up as you want him to adjust to the smaller ice and not put too much pressure on him with the fans/media but Mailloux/Barron it's kind of hard to say which one would "hurt" Laval more by losing one of them as their games are similar as are their issues.
Sounds like they speculated as to why Barron got called up and not the others

Reactions: montreal

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sounds like they speculated as to why Barron got called up and not the others
They couldn't have been watching Laval games if this is the case. Mailloux has been lethargic for a good stretch of games now.
Even thinking Reinbacher is ready is a joke. He's still acclimatizing to how fast the game comes back at him in the AHL.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad