Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Am I the only one who prefers Barron to Struble and Kovacevic?

We shouldn’t sell low on Barron. He was playing well with Guhle early on.

I feel Struble has been given kind of a free pass. He has the worst 5v5 metrics on the team.

it doesn't matter who any of us prefer, we just have to wait and see what Hughes does, he's a smart guy so I don't see why anyone would think he's going to sell low after he just carried 3 goalies for most of the season.

Struble is someone that I viewed as a possible less Romanov, I was surprised they moved him up so quickly, and I really wish they would stop and let kids cook in the AHL for a bit. We'll see if he can develop his offensive game more and then we'll see how his season goes as clearly some kids struggle in their 2nd full season.

Kovacevic I still don't know much about as I barely ever watch him play so whatever the Habs opt to do with him, he seems like a solid 7th D to have around for cheap for now but at some point clearly between the draft and the trade deadline I would think 1 or 2 D are going to be traded and he certainly could be one of them.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Am I the only one who prefers Barron to Struble and Kovacevic?

We shouldn’t sell low on Barron. He was playing well with Guhle early on.

I feel Struble has been given kind of a free pass. He has the worst 5v5 metrics on the team.
Yes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People are acting like Barron doesn't have upside which is completely wrong he's definitely progressing despite what gets posted here.
It's not surprising though preconceived notions are the hardest to dispel on this board.
He hasn't been our worst defender since his recall but you wouldn't know it reading this thread or the GDT's or the PGT's.
But if you listen to the analysts who get paid to analyze they are pleasantly surprised with his improvement.
It should be fun revisiting this thread a year from now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
People are acting like Barron doesn't have upside which is completely wrong he's definitely progressing despite what gets posted here.
It's not surprising though preconceived notions are the hardest to dispel on this board.
He hasn't been our worst defender since his recall but you wouldn't know it reading this thread or the GDT's or the PGT's.
But if you listen to the analysts who get paid to analyze they are pleasantly surprised with his improvement.
It should be fun revisiting this thread a year from now.
Too bad Barron doesn't have a LD version of David Savard to skate with.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still think this kid, is part of the Habs future D................
Skating and passing, and his offensive upside......the D side of the game is a learned craft as he matures.

To me this is the thing with prospects and why I don't trust too many posters opinions when it comes to prospects because it's almost impossible to really know how a kid is going to progress or why he may regress as there are so many variables and factors that go into this. Then add that everything to do with development of prospects is all about PROGRESSION or not.

So opinions should change from year to year if their was enough progression or regression yet you almost always here the posters saying the same thing over and over on repeat. Of course you could be right as not all prospects will show enough progress or regression to move the needle much but still it's always made me warry of others opinions.

When you watch from 1 year to next you start to really get to learn their game and I'm not talking so much about juniors because that's a tougher situation to evaluate due to them playing with a bunch of 16, 17 year olds.

Barron could come in next season and all the sudden he looks like a new man and is lighting the NHL up or in 2 years posters won't even remember his name, it's so hard to project how these kids will be able to overcome their weaknesses or not. Barron I would say like Mailloux just does not seem very bright so you are going to need to work with them on their defensive issues but they may have issues that can't really be fixed. Barron I can only really speak to his AHL play as I don't get to see much of him in the NHL but in Laval wow was it eye opening how he can make some really terrible decisions in his own end and that's going to need to be improved but by how much can he do so is very difficult to try and guess.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Rapala

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think he's a player who gets far too much criticism...he's in a tough spot because he's not ever going to be a huge point producer, he has some weaknesses defensively, so he will never excel in those areas of the game.

But I find he moves the puck really well and has a knack for knowing when to jump into the rush.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad