Prospect Info: Justin Barron

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He just turned 29.

Why don't you like Matheson? He's been our best defenseman and maybe 2nd best player this season after Caufield. He's on a sweet deal for the next 3 seasons. He's a keeper.
Can't speak for the poster but it would be the same reason why we traded Toffoli and should for Anderson too. Not saying dump him for anything, but if a team offers a 1st and a good prospect you take that because by the time we are competitive, he won't be the same player and his contract will not be a sweet deal. There is no rush to trade him, but we could definitely entertain offers while he's playing way better than he actually is.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's still got a lot to work on, but I really like his upside. For point of reference, he has the same number of 5v5 points as Chabot, Ekblad and Krug. He's played 26 games. That's not sustainable without further development, but the talent is apparent.

Can't speak for the poster but it would be the same reason why we traded Toffoli and should for Anderson too. Not saying dump him for anything, but if a team offers a 1st and a good prospect you take that because by the time we are competitive, he won't be the same player and his contract will not be a sweet deal. There is no rush to trade him, but we could definitely entertain offers while he's playing way better than he actually is.

But aren't both of those players already in that category? Like, they're not being shopped, but would be traded if the right offer came along?

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
But aren't both of those players already in that category? Like, they're not being shopped, but would be traded if the right offer came along?
I feel like they were a lot more willing to trade away Toffoli (who didn't go for a package that was considered great) than Matheson and Anderson.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ya people are way too liberal with the "Petry 2.0" talks, the same was said about Kulak. Petry had a very weird development curve, it is incredibly rare for that to happen. I don't think Matheson is as good as he is showing right now, but he's still a solid player for us and can play on the 2nd pair.

FWIW, Matheson's underlying numbers this year are around where peak Petry's were, he's producing at 5v5 at a higher rate this season than Petry ever has and he's averaging more ice time than Petry ever has.

I don't think a Kulak comparison is fair because Kulak never played at Petry's level. Matheson is playing at Petry's level right now.

They're not the same players. But Matheson is playing the Petry role right now and he's doing it with similar effectiveness.

I feel like they were a lot more willing to trade away Toffoli (who didn't go for a package that was considered great) than Matheson and Anderson.

I think they knew they weren't going to be good under Toffoli's contract, didn't think he'd ever be more productive with the team and really needed to clear salary for the upcoming season. Like, I don't think Montreal gets offered what they got for Lehkonen if they had Toffoli because something had to break. Toffoli was the trade to give Montreal leverage in other trades.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He just turned 29.

Why don't you like Matheson? He's been our best defenseman and maybe 2nd best player this season after Caufield. He's on a sweet deal for the next 3 seasons. He's a keeper.
He hasnt been better than Guhle. And hes been similar to Savard. Quite a ridiculous statement.
Who cares. This team is not contending, and he showed last year was not a fluke..... Lets see where this goes, and what kind of value he can extract a couple years from now.
Exactly were not contending, so why harbor a 30 yo thats at the peak of his value?

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
He hasnt been better than Guhle. And hes been similar to Savard. Quite a ridiculous statement.

The numbers don't back up your statement.

Savard.....: 56gp 3g 14a 17p -15

Matheson: 35gp 7g 16a 23p +3

Guhle.......: 44gp 4g 14a 18p -19

EDITED *had Guhle at 21p by mistake

Last edited:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

Exactly were not contending, so why harbor a 30 yo thats at the peak of his value?
Matheson has been miles better than Guhle on all sides of the puck. Since Matheson has been back, the team's puck movement has improved considerably. Guhle's ceiling is better, yes, but for this season, Matheson has been a borderline elite puck mover on the back end. Nobody on our blueline currently even comes close to his confidence walking the blueline.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

There's no rush. It's not bad to have a decent veteran in the lineup here and there, and half the Habs lineip will probably be hurt anyways.

Reactions: Redux91 and jrom

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Until hes worth nothing like Gallagher and Edmundson and then everyone says its not poor Kents fault

Apples and oranges.

Gallagher was a known high risk player to fall off a cliff when he signed his deal.

Matheson is not that style, and his potential to fall right off a cliff in the next couple years (or be "worth nothing") is far less.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Matheson is just as good today as Petry was furing his good years for us. Offensively he is doing more or less the same work Petry was able to do. Petry was better at 3v3, but that's not that big of a deal.

Defensively Petry always had some issues, they are essentially at the same level where they play mostly good enough. Matheson is an even better skater and it helps him in all phases of play. Slightly worse offense and better skating allowing him to be more dynamic in zone exits. All in all, same role Petry could pkay and pretty much the same level of efficiency doing it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson is just as good today as Petry was furing his good years for us. Offensively he is doing more or less the same work Petry was able to do. Petry was better at 3v3, but that's not that big of a deal.

Defensively Petry always had some issues, they are essentially at the same level where they play mostly good enough. Matheson is an even better skater and it helps him in all phases of play. Slightly worse offense and better skating allowing him to be more dynamic in zone exits. All in all, same role Petry could pkay and pretty much the same level of efficiency doing it.
Its infuriating how bad some people are at evaluating hockey players.

This is either straight up kool-aid or just a very, very bad take.

Matheson a better skater than prime Petry... Im not even sure hes a better skater than Petry at 36.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

Matheson a better skater than prime Petry... Im not even sure hes a better skater than Petry at 36.
Ok dude. I've seen plenty of bad takes from you along the years and kept it to myself. But if you want to pretend to be the smartest guy in the room, go ahead and do it.

Matheson is smoother than Petry and his skating has more impact on his overall game than Petry's had. They are both plus skaters, but Matheson's skating has more impact on the game (whereas Petry used other tools a bit more to have an impact).

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal

You dont trade Matheson right now. We need at least two vets on D. Matheson biggest strenghts are his skating and mobility so he's not going to fall of a cliff in only two years. You keep him for now and trade him in a year or so but now isnt the time.

Also enough with the hyperbole black/white posts/bad attitude. You are often rude to other posters here and it really makes you looks immature. You are far from the great hockey mind you think you are. (Cough, Cough, Josh Brook, now that was an hyperbole). Learn to disagree with people without making them feels stupid if they disagree with you. (Saying you dont respect any mock draft that doesnt have Mitchkov second)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah about Barron, didn't expect people bickering about anything but Barron on a Barron thread.

Let's try to change the subject:

Who has more offensive upside long term Barron or Guhle?

I say Barron. But Guhle will get more ice time, which will help his offensive production.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Let's try to change the subject:

Who has more offensive upside long term Barron or Guhle?

I say Barron. But Guhle will get more ice time, which will help his offensive production.

I also think Barron has more offensive potential, his vision and passing skills are crazy at times, also owns a pretty good shot, but Guhle will be better overall, can already play both ends of the ice proficiently, he can pass pretty well, also has a pretty good shot, and plays well in his zone, something I think Barron will always have some trouble with.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Rapala

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Lol. Reading these posts had to double check that I was on the Justin Barron thread. Not kidding.

Barron started in not a good place this year and has steadily looked better and better, first in the A and then with us. Real happy with him and looking forward to see what his ceiling will be in 2-3-4 years. And I think Matheson is a good role model for him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Where are the posters saying we got hosed on the Lehkonen deal?
Right here - dude still has zero concept of D zone positioning…none, a breakout pass doesn’t change that.

I get we live in the era of ballerina tutu hockey, but I like Dman first & foremost understand how to play D

• Haha
Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad