Post-Game Talk: Justice Served! Isles make it interesting but the right team wins. WPG 5 - NYI 4 OT

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I am hoping that Chevy is paying attention to the waiver wire. He might be able to squeeze a bottom pairing D out of it. Can't be worse than Clitsome has been.

No more waiver pick ups. We already have 25 players. Once Bogo and Mittens get back we have to drop two players. I would love to see Redmond get a chance but he is probably the first one to be sent back to St John's. Then it's either Scheifele back to Barrie or give Peluso back to the Blues.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No more waiver pick ups. We already have 25 players. Once Bogo and Mittens get back we have to drop two players. I would love to see Redmond get a chance but he is probably the first one to be sent back to St John's. Then it's either Scheifele back to Barrie or give Peluso back to the Blues.

Pretty sure Scheifele is heading back. That solves one roster spot.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I don't recall you defending Hainsey after all the negative posts about Hainsey's bad first game, Hainsey has been good ever since.

Some of the guys can't seem to accept any critique of Enstrom, he was bad tonight, he has been good in every other game, life goes on.

Agree. Toby has been really good this year, was very poor tonight. No biggie, we don't seem to have a problem saying Hains or Stu or Postma were poor...love how Jets fans call it as they see it...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agree. Toby has been really good this year, was very poor tonight. No biggie, we don't seem to have a problem saying Hains or Stu or Postma were poor...love how Jets fans call it as they see it...

I have no idea what happened to the crisp breakout passes that Buff and Enstrom had against the Penguins. Their dipsey-doodle passing in the third was a terrible sequence of events.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

Woah there sir, you cannot talk about our shaky D-men without mentioning Clitnone :laugh:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Buff seems motivated & has a very accurate slap shot.
Very impressed with him so far this year.

It is only Montoya's first start but he was shaky.
If he performs like this a few more times send him to St John's & bring up Pasqaule.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets on a Deadline

Jets-beat-Islanders-in-OT-January-27-2013-300x200.jpg

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

To enjoy click here.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'm not Clitsome's biggest fan by any stretch and really wish the 3rd pairing would play less minutes but until Bogo is back I'd rather see the D roster stay the same.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm not Clitsome's biggest fan by any stretch and really wish the 3rd pairing would play less minutes but until Bogo is back I'd rather see the D roster stay the same.

easier said than done...
our top4 D are already in the top30 for the entire league for 5v5 TOI/game
Byfuglien 1st
Enstrom 8th
Hainsey 14th
Stuart 28th

That means our 2nd pairing D are playing more even strength time than some teams 1st pairing D

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
easier said than done...
our top4 D are already in the top30 for the entire league for 5v5 TOI/game
Byfuglien 1st
Enstrom 8th
Hainsey 14th
Stuart 28th

That means our 2nd pairing D are playing more even strength time than some teams 1st pairing D

Skewed numbers since the Jets games this year have had very little special teams time when compared to most.
But I get the point.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Skewed numbers since the Jets games this year have had very little special teams time when compared to most.
But I get the point.

Not really...

One) that only really effects Stuart, as Byfuglien is pretty consistent on the PP (sometimes taking real long PP shifts) and both Hainsey and Enstrom do both PP and PK work
Two) Even strength time is what matters since it isn't in the PP where we're scared of Postma or Clitsome, plus Postma hasn't touched the PK and Clitsome has received very minimal PK time (and the only other option there would be to give that PK time to either Byfuglien or Postma)

Gaald

Mar 17, 2012
I was not a big fan of Noel starting Montoya this game. It was totally unfair to Montoya. Talk about a pressure cooker. First game since April, you are playing at home with a brand new team, against the team you played for the year before, and with a short training camp, and no preseason games you have barely had any opportunity to shake off the rust. Not to mention the fact there is probably no team out there who knows what your weaknesses are better than the Islanders.

I think the game Montoya should have played was the Washington game. But I guess it's kind of hard to beat the results of these last 4 games. :)

So even though I thought Montoya looked a little weak in net tonight, I can't blame him for every goal, and the ones he should have stopped can easily be blamed on nerves and rust. I think we will see a much improved performance next time he gets the start.

As for the rest of the team. I thought they played a damn good first 2 periods, but thing that I really liked seeing was how they fought back after the collapse early in the 3rd. A huge improvement over last year. Not that I want to see it happen all the time, but it's nice to know the team has the will to keep fighting for a win.

kurpitsa

Jan 21, 2013
Helsinki
I was watching the game @ 3am (Finnish time). Went to sleep 7 minutes before the game ended.. worst decision ever!!
I was so ******* suprised this morning

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
What do people really expect from Montoya?

He is a back up goalie, making his first start of a shortened season.
The team in front of him played poorly in their own zone for nearly half the game.

Got beat on very difficult goals to stop.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to think when we first signed Montoya back in the summer. He seemed like a AHL-calibre goalie who had one decent season on the one of the worst teams in the league.

However, he's really grown on me. He has pretty good ability and he seems like a genuinely good guy who is liked by his teammates and enjoys playing in a Canadian city. He's also a relatively young guy and fits in well with the the core of the team (he was originally drafted two picks after Ladd and one pick after Wheeler. OT: if we signed hometowner Cam Barker, we'd have the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th overall picks from the 2004 draft).

I know it's only been one game, but I wouldn't mind seeing him be re-signed.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to think when we first signed Montoya back in the summer. He seemed like a AHL-calibre goalie who had one decent season on the one of the worst teams in the league.

However, he's really grown on me. He has pretty good ability and he seems like a genuinely good guy who is liked by his teammates and enjoys playing in a Canadian city. He's also a relatively young guy and fits in well with the the core of the team (he was originally drafted two picks after Ladd and one pick after Wheeler. OT: if we signed hometowner Cam Barker, we'd have the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th overall picks from the 2004 draft).

I know it's only been one game, but I wouldn't mind seeing him be re-signed.

First game in 9 months. Was not great but was not bad. He is probably equal to Mason. Pavelec is going to play at least 40 games. He seems happy to be here, signed cheap and will not cause any problems. Any wins and good play from him is a bonus.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
First game in 9 months. Was not great but was not bad. He is probably equal to Mason. Pavelec is going to play at least 40 games. He seems happy to be here, signed cheap and will not cause any problems. Any wins and good play from him is a bonus.

Read in today's paper about his thoughts yesterday on the victory.

If you ever wondered what elation, satisfaction and relief might look like when mixed together, it was perfectly depicted by the look on Al Montoya's face right around 10 p.m. Sunday night.

Check that -- it was the same look being worn by just about every player in Winnipeg Jets colours after a sloppy, all-over-the-place, but highly entertaining 5-4 overtime win over the New York Islanders that was Montoya's first with his new squad.

"That's awesome," said Montoya, who kicked out 21 of 25 shots. "I mean, I couldn't have written it any better. Coming from a building and an organization... well, it was great playing with the Islanders, but we were lucky to get 10,000 fans a night and that was empty.

"To come here in a stadium like this where they support hockey next to none, it's special. And to give them a win going away from here is great."

(...)

And to do it with their No. 1 goaltender on the bench and Montoya in the net could be critical when this condensed schedule hits crunch time later in the spring. So let the man enjoy his moment.

"I waited until that last second in overtime when the goal went in to listen to the fans, and then you hear them erupt," Montoya said. "There's nothing sweeter.

"I thought I gave the team a chance, at the same time, I wanted a few saves. But to get that win... that's all it's about. It's about that getting that win and giving this team a chance. That's why I'm here."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...o-picasso-but-a-decent-montoya-188634731.html

Last edited by a moderator:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
What do people really expect from Montoya?

He is a back up goalie, making his first start of a shortened season.
The team in front of him played poorly in their own zone for nearly half the game.

Got beat on very difficult goals to stop.

This

He also looked shakey coming into the first period but take into consideration it was his first NHL game this season. Nice to get a W and get the cobwebs out.

Overall what a game! Too bad Toby had those two bad hiccups but he will turn it up next game and ill be yelling loud in Smittys Tuesday :laugh: Gotta beat those Canadians or I have to pay for my buddies wings!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad