Just venting

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
I get it. The loss this year sucks. In July we were all excited. Finally a premier player in their prime comes to us and makes us deeper. Makes us better and he had an amazing season.
Auston Matthews in my opinion had a fine season and with the addition of JT he was able to get going in the playoffs.
Mitch Marner had a fantastic season as well and the funny thing about him. I believe there's still not one but several more gears he can elevate too.
Morgan Rielly had an amazing season too and I believe he's still got another gear.
I also think Muzzin and Ziatsev did a decent job as a pairing and would like to see what they can do for a full season together.
We also got to see what Kappy and Johnsson can do for a full year and in my opinion they are only going to improve.
I also think Moore is going to be a regular and one of those fan favorites we all fall in love with, with the way he plays.

There is some bad news, however.
One of my favorite players for the past decade let me down all year.
I really believed with the signing of JT the real benefit was going to be Kadri. Heck if we forget this season and go back to last off season. Maybe I'm crazy but there were some teams that could have used him as their number one center and here we were going to have him being our number 3.
I get it and assume he probably had less ice time and yes Grandpa and Brown as line mates are garbage. But Kadri seriously looked disinterested all season until the playoffs and then he became a huge non factor all on his own.
I'm not saying I wouldn't have went into a rage myself and not do the same thing. Heck, I probably would have done something even dumber. But I'm not getting paid to do the job he is. I'm just a fan who buys the merch so he can entertain and do his job.

I'm also a Nylander fan. I'm also one of those fans who thinks he actually plays better at center too. Once again. Grandpa and Brown as line mates are garbage.
I, also am not blind that he disappointed a lot as well.
No I don't think he's as soft as some like to believe. I just think he has issues that need to be coached out of him and if y'all really think about it. He's still young and can be molded into an elite player.

The real biggest concern for most people who are fans of this team is management and the Coaching staff.

Ladies and gentlemen I just have a few simple questions.
1-Who's really going to be better than Babcock that is available?
I've seen some people suggest Keefe. I got nothing against the guy. But success in the AHL for anyone whether it's a player, coach or management doesn't exactly mean it's going to work out.
For every success story someone can point to. Sadly there's a dozen stories someone else can counter the point.
Take our team for example.
Last years AHL goalie who won the cup....There's few people left who want him on the team.
Last year in the AHL playoffs, Johnsson was a beast. This year in the NHL playoffs. He was there in game 3 I guess.
Dubas. He was the GM of the AHL club and now the big club. Personally I think he's doing better than average. Like a 6/10 if I had to rate.
So it's hit or miss is all I'm trying to say and I'm sorry folks. Do you really at this point want to fire a guy with the experience and roll the dice on someone else? In this market...

2-I've seen some say it's Dubas's Fault. Who are we really going to get that will improve this team?
He was hired to do a job. So lets let him do his job. I think every NHL gm should have at least 5 years to prove their vision.
He's only had 1 off season thus far, one draft. We really wont know what he has in mind for this team for a few years.

If you all just stop, take a breath and look at the NHL as a whole. You will see certain trends.
Last years Vegas team shocked the Hockey world no doubt and I also believe not only did it have an impact on their team, but the majority of the league.
I really believe the fact they proved by hard work and following a good game plan you put yourself in a position to win, spread throughout the NHL and that is why we are seeing the playoffs unfold the way they have thus far.
I know its easy to just say certain things and go out and try for a lot of quick fixes. But have we not learned anything from years past in doing that? Or from watching other management groups make that blunder.
I'm a huge Adam Larsson fan. But the meme of the league is the Hall for Larsson trade.
What if we trade Nylander for a similar RHD and the trade wakes Nylander up and he puts in a MVP caliber season for someone else?
Seriously, how would you feel then?
I do see the value in trading him for cap reasons, but that would be the only reason. I know he's bouncing back next year. 80+ points, I'm calling it right now.

All I'm saying is. I've seen some dark times. Way worse than this. Bitching about this is way better than wondering how many Hot dogs Kessel ate today. But I'm making a bold prediction right now. If we actually trust the process for a change and let these guys getting paid the big bucks to do their jobs and actually cheer this team on instead of putting down every little thing. We become winners.

In fact. I bet you we win the Cup next season. Auston Matthews is putting up a season for the ages. Mitch Marner will be looking like a God on skates and John Tavares will win the Conn Smythe.
Laugh at me now. But it's all true. Even Grandpa and Brown will be gone.
GLG

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
We are our own worst enemy for the most part. Why people hate to play and coach here. On the other hand the last 12 months have been horrible imo. They determined a lot of our future and I don’t like it personally. I’m not one of those all out crazy voicing fans. However I think the cap was mismanaged and a lot of players were divided and pissed off along the way. You make a guy with a PPG average career the second highest paid player. I get it you wouldn’t get him otherwise. Does that really seem so bad though? Like yeah we don’t get Tavares whatever. At least we don’t set a crazy high internal cap. Matthews and Nylander don’t get overpaid. Every logical person knew we couldn’t afford all 4. Plus guys like rielly and kadri who took discounts can now look at Tavares and say how does this guy make double than me? How can you ask Matthews to take less? How can you than ask Marner to take less.

You sign you core than go out and get players not the other way around

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Who is going to be better than Babcock? I see this being tossed around a lot . Well brind’amour was a rookie coach who was able to win a playoff round. Babcock is probably the most overrated coach in sports history.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We are our own worst enemy for the most part. Why people hate to play and coach here. On the other hand the last 12 months have been horrible imo. They determined a lot of our future and I don’t like it personally. I’m not one of those all out crazy voicing fans. However I think the cap was mismanaged and a lot of players were divided and pissed off along the way. You make a guy with a PPG average career the second highest paid player. I get it you wouldn’t get him otherwise. Does that really seem so bad though? Like yeah we don’t get Tavares whatever. At least we don’t set a crazy high internal cap. Matthews and Nylander don’t get overpaid. Every logical person knew we couldn’t afford all 4. Plus guys like rielly and kadri who took discounts can now look at Tavares and say how does this guy make double than me? How can you ask Matthews to take less? How can you than ask Marner to take less.

You explain to them the difference between RFA and UFA

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You explain to them the difference between RFA and UFA

It doesn’t work that way. Tavares was worth 9.5 realistically. Him getting 11 means Matthews gets overpaid too. Starts to just trickle down

I know there was higher offers. But like most people say the best deals on July first are usually the ones you don’t make. I honestly can’t see this working out for us. First year we already at best stayed the same

Reactions: 17 Clark

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It doesn’t work that way. Tavares was worth 9.5 realistically. Him getting 11 means Matthews gets overpaid too. Starts to just trickle down

I know there was higher offers. But like most people say the best deals on July first are usually the ones you don’t make. I honestly can’t see this working out for us. First year we already at best stayed the same
How was he worth 9.5 realistically? Do you not understand that contracts are based on % of the cap? San Jose offered him $13 million per year.

Matthews got his contract because he's had the best ELC production of a center other than McDavid the past 10 years. The reason Mackinnon and Barkov signed their awesome deals is because they weren't anywhere close to what Matthews is coming off their ELC's...it's not that hard to understand. I wish Matthews was signed for 8 years instead of 5 but the money is appropriate, especially considering how hard Babcock tried to neuter his numbers.

And last, we have Tavares for another 6 years, Marner and Matthews are 21, Rielly is 24 and Nylander is 22. Step off the ledge a little and realize hockey is a fluky sport. The Bolts have nothing to show for their last 5 years of dominance, the Caps waited over a decade into the Ovi era before their first cup.

Stop being so dramatic.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
How was he worth 9.5 realistically? Do you not understand that contracts are based on % of the cap? San Jose offered him $13 million per year.

Matthews got his contract because he's had the best ELC production of a center other than McDavid the past 10 years. The reason Mackinnon and Barkov signed their awesome deals is because they weren't anywhere close to what Matthews is coming off their ELC's...it's not that hard to understand. I wish Matthews was signed for 8 years instead of 5 but the money is appropriate, especially considering how hard Babcock tried to neuter his numbers.

And last, we have Tavares for another 6 years, Marner and Matthews are 21, Rielly is 24 and Nylander is 22. Step off the ledge a little and realize hockey is a fluky sport. The Bolts have nothing to show for their last 5 years of dominance, the Caps waited over a decade into the Ovi era before their first cup.

Stop being so dramatic.

Is Tavares better than Seguin?

Yeah off cap percent but also comparables. Matthews was using Mcf***igDavid as a comparable than goes on to demand 13.8 over 8 years. Like gtfo and learn to negotiate Dubas. There was GMs and literally everyone in the media that frowned at that deal. Even his own teammate Marner got pissed at the contract. You don’t build a winning team like this. What’s so hard to understand. There’s a price where you walk. Having almost 40 tied up to 4 forwards isn’t going to work. Not to mention Matthews’ play never dictated that kind of money. If they want to play here and build a competitive team they’ll stay. If not find them a new home. The team that has the cap space for an offer sheet won’t lose 4 1st and if they do, well thank you for your lottery picks. Don’t let players bully you into stupid deals like this

Having Matthews at 11.634 is okay on an 8 year deal. During years 1-4 probably overpaid to decent. Years 4-8 is where the teams get the beneifit. Guess what? Year 5 he either walks or we overpay again

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Is Tavares better than Seguin?

Yeah off cap percent but also comparables. Matthews was using Mc****igDavid as a comparable than goes on to demand 13.8 over 8 years. Like gtfo and learn to negotiate Dubas. There was GMs and literally everyone in the media that frowned at that deal. Even his own teammate Marner got pissed at the contract. You don’t build a winning team like this. What’s so hard to understand. There’s a price where you walk. Having almost 40 tied up to 4 forwards isn’t going to work. Not to mention Matthews’ play never dictated that kind of money. If they want to play here and build a competitive team they’ll stay. If not find them a new home. The team that has the cap space for an offer sheet won’t lose 4 1st and if they do, well thank you for your lottery picks. Don’t let players bully you into stupid deals like this

Yes AINEC.

You don't think Matthews and his agent didn't bring up the fact that Matthews hasn't been given the same caliber of linemates that Marner has had? Or McDavid? Or Mackinnon? Or Barkov? You don't think he referenced his lack of pp time compared to other star players? It's really not that hard.

Matthews has had a better 3 year start to his career than:

Tavares
Mackinnon
Barkov
Marner
Kane
Seguin
Hall

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yes AINEC.

You don't think Matthews and his agent didn't bring up the fact that Matthews hasn't been given the same caliber of linemates that Marner has had? Or McDavid? Or Mackinnon? Or Barkov? You don't think he referenced his lack of pp time compared to other star players? It's really not that hard.

Matthews has had a better 3 year start to his career than:

Tavares
Mackinnon
Barkov
Marner
Kane
Seguin
Hall

Not than Kane for sure. He won a cup and had better numbers too. Not to mention 28 playoff points in 22 games.

Still does not get compared with McDavid who won the hart twice.

McDavid did not have better linemates. Neither did Mackinnon until after his contract. Barkov?

Who did those guys all have better than Nylander ? And Matthews played on the first PP.... not to mention he’s been injured a lot

Btw all those guys took team friendly second deals

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Tavares was worth more than 11, from all reports (whether or not you believe them) he took less to come to Toronto. So if we stood firm on 9.5 we're likely not getting him.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Tavares was worth more than 11, from all reports (whether or not you believe them) he took less to come to Toronto. So if we stood firm on 9.5 we're likely not getting him.

Which I don’t consider a bad thing all things considered. Maybe if he was signed after our core was and we knew our guys were locked up. Right now going forward it’ll be hard to make the changes we need to our D and bring in proper depth to forward group

Essentially he was a want not a need. We didn’t need another high profile forward

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I get it. The loss this year sucks. In July we were all excited. Finally a premier player in their prime comes to us and makes us deeper. Makes us better and he had an amazing season.
Auston Matthews in my opinion had a fine season and with the addition of JT he was able to get going in the playoffs.
Mitch Marner had a fantastic season as well and the funny thing about him. I believe there's still not one but several more gears he can elevate too.
Morgan Rielly had an amazing season too and I believe he's still got another gear.
I also think Muzzin and Ziatsev did a decent job as a pairing and would like to see what they can do for a full season together.
We also got to see what Kappy and Johnsson can do for a full year and in my opinion they are only going to improve.
I also think Moore is going to be a regular and one of those fan favorites we all fall in love with, with the way he plays.

There is some bad news, however.
One of my favorite players for the past decade let me down all year.
I really believed with the signing of JT the real benefit was going to be Kadri. Heck if we forget this season and go back to last off season. Maybe I'm crazy but there were some teams that could have used him as their number one center and here we were going to have him being our number 3.
I get it and assume he probably had less ice time and yes Grandpa and Brown as line mates are garbage. But Kadri seriously looked disinterested all season until the playoffs and then he became a huge non factor all on his own.
I'm not saying I wouldn't have went into a rage myself and not do the same thing. Heck, I probably would have done something even dumber. But I'm not getting paid to do the job he is. I'm just a fan who buys the merch so he can entertain and do his job.

I'm also a Nylander fan. I'm also one of those fans who thinks he actually plays better at center too. Once again. Grandpa and Brown as line mates are garbage.
I, also am not blind that he disappointed a lot as well.
No I don't think he's as soft as some like to believe. I just think he has issues that need to be coached out of him and if y'all really think about it. He's still young and can be molded into an elite player.

The real biggest concern for most people who are fans of this team is management and the Coaching staff.

Ladies and gentlemen I just have a few simple questions.
1-Who's really going to be better than Babcock that is available?
I've seen some people suggest Keefe. I got nothing against the guy. But success in the AHL for anyone whether it's a player, coach or management doesn't exactly mean it's going to work out.
For every success story someone can point to. Sadly there's a dozen stories someone else can counter the point.
Take our team for example.
Last years AHL goalie who won the cup....There's few people left who want him on the team.
Last year in the AHL playoffs, Johnsson was a beast. This year in the NHL playoffs. He was there in game 3 I guess.
Dubas. He was the GM of the AHL club and now the big club. Personally I think he's doing better than average. Like a 6/10 if I had to rate.
So it's hit or miss is all I'm trying to say and I'm sorry folks. Do you really at this point want to fire a guy with the experience and roll the dice on someone else? In this market...

2-I've seen some say it's Dubas's Fault. Who are we really going to get that will improve this team?
He was hired to do a job. So lets let him do his job. I think every NHL gm should have at least 5 years to prove their vision.
He's only had 1 off season thus far, one draft. We really wont know what he has in mind for this team for a few years.

If you all just stop, take a breath and look at the NHL as a whole. You will see certain trends.
Last years Vegas team shocked the Hockey world no doubt and I also believe not only did it have an impact on their team, but the majority of the league.
I really believe the fact they proved by hard work and following a good game plan you put yourself in a position to win, spread throughout the NHL and that is why we are seeing the playoffs unfold the way they have thus far.
I know its easy to just say certain things and go out and try for a lot of quick fixes. But have we not learned anything from years past in doing that? Or from watching other management groups make that blunder.
I'm a huge Adam Larsson fan. But the meme of the league is the Hall for Larsson trade.
What if we trade Nylander for a similar RHD and the trade wakes Nylander up and he puts in a MVP caliber season for someone else?
Seriously, how would you feel then?
I do see the value in trading him for cap reasons, but that would be the only reason. I know he's bouncing back next year. 80+ points, I'm calling it right now.

All I'm saying is. I've seen some dark times. Way worse than this. *****ing about this is way better than wondering how many Hot dogs Kessel ate today. But I'm making a bold prediction right now. If we actually trust the process for a change and let these guys getting paid the big bucks to do their jobs and actually cheer this team on instead of putting down every little thing. We become winners.

In fact. I bet you we win the Cup next season. Auston Matthews is putting up a season for the ages. Mitch Marner will be looking like a God on skates and John Tavares will win the Conn Smythe.
Laugh at me now. But it's all true. Even Grandpa and Brown will be gone.
GLG

what happened, did HFBoards delete your "coaches corner/senor martinez" account?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who is going to be better than Babcock? I see this being tossed around a lot . Well brind’amour was a rookie coach who was able to win a playoff round. Babcock is probably the most overrated coach in sports history.
Jim Montgomery too.

There is nothing wrong with a rookie head coach.

Reactions: weems

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
Jim Montgomery too.

There is nothing wrong with a rookie head coach.

I can agree there may not be anything wrong with a rookie head coach. You're quite right that it may work out for the TML.
I guess maybe I'm relating with it from my own experiences and ups and downs in a leadership role in life.
Why would we pay this man (Babcock) so much money, but not provide him with the tools he wants to succeed?
I can agree he's being a baby about it sometimes bringing it to the public like he does. But can't you see how that would be frustrating?

Maybe you and everyone else is right who does want him gone. He obviously isn't happy being here, complaining about lack of depth. I'm just worried we do the same ole band aid fix and fall behind because of it. Then, instead of worrying if were good enough to beat Boston in the playoffs we end up wondering if we win draft lottos like Edmonton.
GLG

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I can agree there may not be anything wrong with a rookie head coach. You're quite right that it may work out for the TML.
I guess maybe I'm relating with it from my own experiences and ups and downs in a leadership role in life.
Why would we pay this man (Babcock) so much money, but not provide him with the tools he wants to succeed?
I can agree he's being a baby about it sometimes bringing it to the public like he does. But can't you see how that would be frustrating?

Maybe you and everyone else is right who does want him gone. He obviously isn't happy being here, complaining about lack of depth. I'm just worried we do the same ole band aid fix and fall behind because of it. Then, instead of worrying if were good enough to beat Boston in the playoffs we end up wondering if we win draft lottos like Edmonton.
GLG

He has two franchise or borderline C's
He has a point per game wizard W
He has Dman who should have been nominated for the Norris
He has a above average goalie
He has one of the better third line C's in the league
He has some good support pieces in Nylander, Gardiner, Hyman, Dermott

How much more does he need?

Do we need to build an absolutely flawless roster for this guy to get out of the first round?

Theres lots of coachs in the league right now that are doing more with less.

There's no such thing as perfect team in the league anymore with the salary cap.

Reactions: Mats13

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
He has two franchise or borderline C's
He has a point per game wizard W
He has Dman who should have been nominated for the Norris
He has a above average goalie
He has one of the better third line C's in the league
He has some good support pieces in Nylander, Gardiner, Hyman, Dermott

How much more does he need?

Do we need to build an absolutely flawless roster for this guy to get out of the first round?

There's lots of coaches in the league right now that are doing more with less.

There's no such thing as perfect team in the league anymore with the salary cap.

I agree with you with all you said we have.
But it's obvious Babs wants some physical depth and better D than we had.
As I was saying. I just don't want us to make another mistake and you have to at least admit a coaching change at this stage is probably the biggest move whether it's right or not.
It could end up in 5 cups in 7 years and we're all feeling so good or he leaves. Coaches the Sabers they make the playoffs and we miss for some unknown reason and this market blames the new coach and the cycle of life continues.

I did have a thought though about coaching and since I'm bored right now. Do you think it would be possible to maybe get Lindy Ruff as an assistant? I really like his run and gun style and think an advantage we could have is another system the team could use during the season so we may be able to change up in the playoffs next year and be less predictable. Or do you think Babs has too much of an ego to have someone on his team helping with the overall system?
GLG

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018

Worth 9.5 as one of the most highly touted UFAs recently? Lol

Eichel gets 10 off an entry level. Not like tavares scored the 3rd most goals in the league or anything?

Curious to know what you think he should have got? I'm sure you will use kucherov as a comparable ...not similar circumstances or taxes.

I mean guys like tkachuk, marner, are gonna get 10+ you really think jt is not worth 11?

Not even considering rantenen, laine, pointe guess they are all getting under 9.5 too eh

What do you mean tavares didn't make a difference? His matchup helped Matthews score 5 goals in 6 games in the playoffs .

Also helped keep the team on track when Matthews was injured for 15 or so games

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017

I think you make many well researched points. It is refreshing to read your comments, they are not full of the overboard emotional content so prevalent after such a heartbreaking loss.

Let me express a few additional comments of my own and I hope to come across in an intelligent manner like yourself;

(1)-after much thought and listening and reading about many different opinions, I have come to the conclusion that Babcock has to go (it is difficult to express this as I have a lot of respect for him, the man), but I read that Shanahan can be quite ruthless when he has to be, and I believe it to be that time. I believe he has mismanaged assets (I.e. Matthews 18 minutes in game 7; Marleau and Brown on the ice late when trailing, no shortening the bench when behind, no double shifting Matthews or Tavares late in a game......the list goes on). I also believe he is a “micro manager” in a game that has changed (constant line matching, juggling, I.e. pissing off Matthews by yanking him off for a different match: I recall Mitch Mariners comments earlier this year to the effect that the Leafs were a better road team because Babcock couldn’t tinker as much). This is the only way I can rationalize hearing that his peers consider him the best coach compared to wanting to see him go (he over analyze’s, he’s very smart, well spoken, but he is killing the spark that lies dormant in Matthews, Nylander and others. And I think that has been brewing a long time-let’s face it, he has lost 8 of his last 9 playoff series, not good enough by a mile.

(2)-William Nylander-either move him up to Matthews wing (and let them play 22 minutes a game for a full season) or a similar offensive line, or trade him. I can’t stand to see such a talent neutered by playing on the third line or centring two plugs (in fairness Kadri is to blame here). Not for 7 million “cap eating” dollars.

(3)-Get some “sandpaper”, especially on defence. Few teams would have not ganged up on Debrusk after that blatant knee on knee to Kadri-what did we get? A minor cross check from Kapanen on Debrusk. There are hits and then there is crossing the line. If you want to blame anyone for losing the series, that was the moment-protecting Kadri would have saved him (and teammates should have especially known that with his temperament). I hate “Don Cherry” hockey, but there comes a point. And countless other examples during the season (like the hit from behind on Dermott).

(4)-put some meanness on the blue line. How many games did we see where the ice was tilted towards our goal, where we were hemmed in by the opponent for stretches, where Anderson was the best Leaf, facing so many shots? Where we resorted to stretch passes and our so called vaunted offense was non existent? Could Anderson have had to perform heroics because the opponent could come in so close, not worried about getting flattened? No wonder opponents crashed and banged in our zone, no consequences.

Ok, that’s my vent, that’s where I see improvement and I am eternally hopeful, so many good things about our beloved team, so refreshing after watching them the last 50 odd years. I think with some tweaks that Matthews will rise, that Marner and Tavares and Nylander will carry this team to glory for several years!

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think you make many well researched points. It is refreshing to read your comments, they are not full of the overboard emotional content so prevalent after such a heartbreaking loss.

Let me express a few additional comments of my own and I hope to come across in an intelligent manner like yourself;

(1)-after much thought and listening and reading about many different opinions, I have come to the conclusion that Babcock has to go (it is difficult to express this as I have a lot of respect for him, the man), but I read that Shanahan can be quite ruthless when he has to be, and I believe it to be that time. I believe he has mismanaged assets (I.e. Matthews 18 minutes in game 7; Marleau and Brown on the ice late when trailing, no shortening the bench when behind, no double shifting Matthews or Tavares late in a game......the list goes on). I also believe he is a “micro manager” in a game that has changed (constant line matching, juggling, I.e. pissing off Matthews by yanking him off for a different match: I recall Mitch Mariners comments earlier this year to the effect that the Leafs were a better road team because Babcock couldn’t tinker as much). This is the only way I can rationalize hearing that his peers consider him the best coach compared to wanting to see him go (he over analyze’s, he’s very smart, well spoken, but he is killing the spark that lies dormant in Matthews, Nylander and others. And I think that has been brewing a long time-let’s face it, he has lost 8 of his last 9 playoff series, not good enough by a mile.

(2)-William Nylander-either move him up to Matthews wing (and let them play 22 minutes a game for a full season) or a similar offensive line, or trade him. I can’t stand to see such a talent neutered by playing on the third line or centring two plugs (in fairness Kadri is to blame here). Not for 7 million “cap eating” dollars.

(3)-Get some “sandpaper”, especially on defence. Few teams would have not ganged up on Debrusk after that blatant knee on knee to Kadri-what did we get? A minor cross check from Kapanen on Debrusk. There are hits and then there is crossing the line. If you want to blame anyone for losing the series, that was the moment-protecting Kadri would have saved him (and teammates should have especially known that with his temperament). I hate “Don Cherry” hockey, but there comes a point. And countless other examples during the season (like the hit from behind on Dermott).

(4)-put some meanness on the blue line. How many games did we see where the ice was tilted towards our goal, where we were hemmed in by the opponent for stretches, where Anderson was the best Leaf, facing so many shots? Where we resorted to stretch passes and our so called vaunted offense was non existent? Could Anderson have had to perform heroics because the opponent could come in so close, not worried about getting flattened? No wonder opponents crashed and banged in our zone, no consequences.

Ok, that’s my vent, that’s where I see improvement and I am eternally hopeful, so many good things about our beloved team, so refreshing after watching them the last 50 odd years. I think with some tweaks that Matthews will rise, that Marner and Tavares and Nylander will carry this team to glory for several years!

I agree Babcock is a great coach and maybe if he got hired now it may be different. At this point though he has lost the locker room. Nylander again I agree I hate seeing him misused. He held out but the contract he got was very close to fair for a player of his talent. The fact that he came in out of shape is unacceptable though. I always said this team going Matthews-Nylander than Tavares -Marner is unbeatable. Kap and Johnson are great players just not together with Matthews.

The sandpaper and all that I agree we need more. A lot more imo but I know that’s a touchy subject around here. You can’t add one or two who stir things up than throw Matthews on the ice. You either have a presence on each line or you forget about it totally. This playoffs it was almost like Muzzin and Kadri were playing one way and the team another. Another reason I don’t blame Babcock fully because you coach to your strength and this teams strength was speed. If the leafs played to their strength they would of walked the bruins. Problem is our strength is the easiest to throw off their game

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

The tools that Babs wants to succeed would be a complete roster - all 18 skaters - of Hyman, Komarov, Marleau, and Hainsey type players. Then he would get constant "too many men" penalties because he would be trying to get all 18 of those players out on the ice all the time.

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
The tools that Babs wants to succeed would be a complete roster - all 18 skaters - of Hyman, Komarov, Marleau, and Hainsey type players. Then he would get constant "too many men" penalties because he would be trying to get all 18 of those players out on the ice all the time.

I actually thought your comment was funny. I know it seems like I'm a huge Babcock supporter in my posts, But I know he has his faults. Anyways your comment cheered me up after a long day.

Reactions: biotk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I find it really irritating that people pick a few favorites and then blame everyone else for their failures and short comings.

Reactions: AejonStarkgaryen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad