Just looked at our schedule

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
And after tomorrow's game against the Habs, we don't play again until next Friday against the Rangers in MSG?

.......................... Don't we already have like 3-4 games in hand over the majority of teams in the league?

What's with the long break? it makes absolutely no sense.

Who the **** came up with this schedule?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Every team has a "bye" week now. Not only do they not play for 5 days, they don't practice either.

I get that, but, it's like I said, I think we we have played the least amount of games out of anyone else in the league.

At this point in the season, it makes absolutely no sense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm pretty sure a computer makes the schedule, I would imagine that it has to be fed some parameters etc.

Our schedule does suck, nothing to do but suck it up. At least we have something to tell people who think we've faced no diversity and have had nothing but luck.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I get that, but, it's like I said, I think we we have played the least amount of games out of anyone else in the league.

At this point in the season, it makes absolutely no sense.

They'll catch up.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Multiple factors go into the schedule .. I suspect it has to do with Toronto being a marquee team, having to play most Saturday nights for optimal ratings and compete with other prime time teams for the best matchups for those prime time spots. All the back to backs sucks but that's how it goes - hard to complain about something that we don't know about how it's done.

You'd be surprised at how other often teams (like the Flames and Oilers) don't play on Saturday night, rather Sunday or Friday

For a stretch of years not too long ago the Leafs would always have played a few games more than most teams .. I'd prefer having games in hand.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Heard them talking about it on the Fan yesterday, apparently there was a 5 day break negotiated into the CBA for the World Cup (which didn't make much sense to me given that the World Cup happened in the early fall), but that it doesn't extend the season 5 days to compensate so the schedule is compressed

Talked about the exact same thing, games in hand going into the second half could be a disadvantage

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Playing an addition 3 or 4 games over three months compared to everyone else isn't large enough for me to be worry about the team getting tired

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Upside, there is now an excuse for not making the playoffs.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Playing an addition 3 or 4 games over three months compared to everyone else isn't large enough for me to be worry about the team getting tired

No, but we've also been extremely lucky injury-wise which in all likelihood won't continue.

I'd compare it to the NFL bye week: No team wants a bye in week 4-6, every team would trade for a bye in week 9-13.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
With how often Winnipeg seems to play, they will be done their season by the trade deadline.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, but we've also been extremely lucky injury-wise which in all likelihood won't continue.

I'd compare it to the NFL bye week: No team wants a bye in week 4-6, every team would trade for a bye in week 9-13.

Not always. Steelers bye was early in the season and it probably saved them from missing the playoffs, injured Ben missed one less game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
it is especially crazy when we have the most back 2 backs in the league, if we had played near the top end of the games played we wouldn't have to have so many more (9-10 to go I think) b2b in the latter part of the season. I think B2B should be a competitive balance type thing in that it rotates every year but as it stands we are top5 if not top every year.

If the Wjch is to blame never have it at the ACC again it has nothing to do with the leafs so there is no reason to use the ACC use a OHL arena (at least it would be full) or the Ricoh (I think the ricoh may be small even by OHL standards though). The world cup wouldn't affect the schedule it was over before the season started.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Not always. Steelers bye was early in the season and it probably saved them from missing the playoffs, injured Ben missed one less game.

That's an exception to the rule though.

I'll change my statement to "any playoff team".

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I say it depends on how close the race for the playoffs is. A team that's well ahead of the pack and in a good position probably wants more rest down the stretch .. But a team that's in a dogfight for a spot may not want to lose momentum down the stretch with additional days off.

Plus in the past the Leafs have had more games played than most teams and it never seemed to do much good for them making the playoffs .. I'm thinking pre-Burke era.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I say it depends on how close the race for the playoffs is. A team that's well ahead of the pack and in a good position probably wants more rest down the stretch .. But a team that's in a dogfight for a spot may not want to lose momentum down the stretch with additional days off.

Plus in the past the Leafs have had more games played than most teams and it never seemed to do much good for them making the playoffs .. I'm thinking pre-Burke era.

We have ALWAYS had more games played than others, and then griped how we were always the chased, never the chaser. I'd rather have games in hand quite frankly.

what i don't like is this bye week business.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What's all this complaining? It isn't playing that tires out hockey players, it's the travel.
Leafs have a a better schedule than all Western Conference, better than probably all their divisional rivals.
So what's to complain about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad