Speculation: Just How Important is the Assistant General Manager Position, and Who do YOU Want?

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Well Maloney delegated some some of the assistant GM jobs throughout the office so he would probably be pretty good fit as assistant GM. Just has to worry about drafting and finding talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sabres fan here, in peace.

Darcy was a solid GM that spanned 3/4 different ownership groups (the cheating Rigas family, NHL, Golisano, Pegula). He inherited a decent team with Hasek in net and managed to add a few pieces that got us to the Cup finals.

Under the NHL ownership and the Golisano ownership, he was basically told not to lose money and he did so. He's often pilloried in Buffalo due to "his handling" of the failed contract negotiations of Mike Peca, Chris Drury and Danny Briere. More astute Sabres fans know that he had higher powers more or less calling the shots and he did the best he could under the given restrictions. I think if you got Darcy in an honest and drunken moment, he'd tell you in his heart of hearts that he wanted to take Edmonton's 4 first round picks for the Vanek offer sheet, but knew that since Golisano had said that he needed to at minimum break even every year.......he knew he needed Vanek to make the playoffs and couldn't rebuild right there and then.

Basically, what you're getting in Regier:

PRO: Very solid drafter, bordering on elite. Has a tendency to "win" most trades that he's not forced to make....and often it's not really debatable. Patient.

CONS: Reactive, not proactive....and slow to react. Hesitant to trade away talent that he drafted.

MIDDLE-OF-THE-ROAD: Free agency history is mixed. Does VERY well at finding the lower-cost FAs that fill a roster. Not so hot at the higher-profile guys

I forgot about all the crap Regier and Ruff had to put up with. I preferred a young guy, but I think I'll change my mind. Regier is too good to pass up. With DM, Regier and DT running the show I expect good things in the future for the Coyotes. Just think where we were at this time last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well Maloney delegated some some of the assistant GM jobs throughout the office so he would probably be pretty good fit as assistant GM. Just has to worry about drafting and finding talent.

Drafting has been one of our biggest downfalls over the years.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hopefully Regier can be helpful in recruiting Vanek to AZ.
The Islanders will throw sick money at Vanek and/or Moulsen. They'll get one of those 2 for sure.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
GMDM interview posted on PhoenixCoyotes.com. He name drops Darcy Regier ("very good, long-tenured manager"), not in relation to the AGM job, but it's still interesting that he brought up his name nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad