Just how good is Jake Gardiner?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jake has already shown stretches of impact defenseman play. and I mean not just top-pair performance, but #1 type peformance. for stretches, at least. His upside is really damn high.

SteveV*

No offence but its a good thing your opinion doesn't mean jack in terms of how the leafs treat him going forward.

Kid's talent is off the charts. He was dominant in that Boston series, he was toying with them and was all over the ice at all times. He got a ton of praise on the main boards aswell.

You know what's funny about the "meh" guys? If Gardiner is so whatever why does he name constantly come up in trade rumours, either teams asking or the big piece to get a center, etc? It's because he isn't an average talent, he's desirable because he of his somewhat unique skillset.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I think he has all the tools to be an elite pmd.
He reminds me alot of brian leetch except he may be faster and if im half right then we are definately in for a treat.
Once he and reilly are the cornerstones of our d i think our pp will be unstoppable.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
He is very very good... he struggled defensively coming off his concussion but that doesn't really change much

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
No offence but its a good thing your opinion doesn't mean jack in terms of how the leafs treat him going forward.

Kid's talent is off the charts. He was dominant in that Boston series, he was toying with them and was all over the ice at all times. He got a ton of praise on the main boards aswell.

I don't understand your first comment. Who's opinion here means jack in terms of how the Leafs treat him? Probably no ones. Second, why is my opinion wrong? You did nothing to prove it. People can watch that game and have varied opinions.

Finally, his talent isn't "off the charts", it's really what you'd expect out of a guy that plays his type of game.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd say he's got the talent to be a top 10 defenseman in the league.

Think he busts out with a 45 point season this year.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Gardiner peak?

#1 Elite defensemen, 4 time Norris Trophy winner, Conn Smythe Winner, 3x Stanley Cup Champion, 2x Olympic Gold Medalist and Hall of Famer.

In reality, great #2D that can put up 50points a season. Really love gards game. I wouldn't be surprised though if he wins a Norris down the line, if he gets #1 PP time and top 2 mins, added onto him being line-matched with the 1st line (Assuming Bozak's gone), he can get 65+Points

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
As long as he doesn't get injured, he'll be a solid NHLer for years. All-star for sure, but he'll need to show the same type of decision making he did in the playoffs and not the regular season. Tools are all there.

scosar

Mar 17, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
He is very very good... he struggled defensively coming off his concussion but that doesn't really change much

He struggled defensively before his concussion. He is a young, great skating PMD. The other poster is right. They hype over him is way over the top. He played sheltered minutes and sometimes looks lost in his own end and doesn't pick up the player he should.

Doesn't mean he can't get better, but it also doesn't mean he is up for the Norris either.

SteveV*

Finally, his talent isn't "off the charts", it's really what you'd expect out of a guy that plays his type of game.

You mean a highly skilled game, which speaks to talent? Your comment is nonsensical.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
His vision isn't great and neither is his defensive game. I see Yandle potential max.

wendelclark17

Sep 13, 2007
My opinion (and I really stress that on this forum) is that he is developing into a Duncan Keith. Though he has the potential to be even better.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
You mean a highly skilled game, which speaks to talent? Your comment is nonsensical.

What? He isn't as talented as Karlsson who I classify as an "off the chart talent". He's really no different than: Shattenkirk, Voynov, Yandle, Schultz, Campbell, in terms of talent.

I wouldn't classify any of those guys as off the chart talents.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The things he was doing on the ice in the playoffs were brilliant.

I'm not sure if people remember a play in one of the games, where he bounced the puck off the boards to get around an incoming forward. I thought he was caught out, but he found a way to get past under pressure.

I really hope this is the kind of player we have in him. Someone who makes opponents look silly and just lets his creativity flow.

Will he be a Norris trophy winner? Probably not. BUT, he is special.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
What? He isn't as talented as Karlsson who I classify as an "off the chart talent". He's really no different than: Shattenkirk, Voynov, Yandle, Schultz, Campbell, in terms of talent.

I wouldn't classify any of those guys as off the chart talents.

Agreed.

Gardiner can carry a pairing, but not the first pairing. Being in that Shattenkirk/Voynov role is perfect for Jake. Carry the second pairing behind a true #1 defenceman (Pietrangelo and Doughty respectively). Maybe Rielly develops into that #1 role to carry the top pairing, if not Phaneuf is a suitable guy for it as well, and Gardiner has the second pairing that is "his".

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He has a chance to be a star, but you can't possibly be so arrogant as to say he'll ever be that close to a norris.

I would say that it's equally arrogant to suggest that he'll never be in the consideration. With Lidstrom retiring, and Chara getting up there in age, the discussion for Norris is more open that ever. Hell, I wager that if someone suggested to you that PK Subban would win a Norris a year ago, you'd answer them with laughter.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Agreed.

Gardiner can carry a pairing, but not the first pairing. Being in that Shattenkirk/Voynov role is perfect for Jake. Carry the second pairing behind a true #1 defenceman (Pietrangelo and Doughty respectively). Maybe Rielly develops into that #1 role to carry the top pairing, if not Phaneuf is a suitable guy for it as well, and Gardiner has the second pairing that is "his".

Thank you. I can't see Gards carrying the top pairing. We should be happy if he turns into a Shattenkirk or Voynov cause they're damn good players.

I just feel the expectations are starting to get a little ridiculous.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He was amazing in the playoffs, if that was any indication of his future play next season and beyond then he is going to become an elite player. I know he's going to have his down games but for the most part if he plays up to his potential like he did in the playoffs then I wouldn't be surprised if he can reach 50+ points while becoming a PP QB.

Now before others come in and rip apart my opinion and others on here...I'm not saying he's going to win the Norris.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Thank you. I can't see Gards carrying the top pairing. We should be happy if he turns into a Shattenkirk or Voynov cause they're damn good players.

I just feel the expectations are starting to get a little ridiculous.

Agreed, he might help someone be in the top pair as a number 2 but not a number 1 for sure that many are claiming. Until he proves he can do that, I'm not pegging him a number 1 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad