Just How Good Are the 2013-14 Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Just How Good Are the 2013-14 Rangers?

The 2013-14 Rangers have been a mystifying bunch. They started the season on an NHL record 9 game road trip and had, to put it very nicely, mixed results. At times they looked to not have a grasp on the most basic of defensive concepts and found completing a tape-to-tape pass a challenging feat.

Recently, their powerplay is clicking, their goaltending is solid, and they’re converting a lot more games into wins. So where in that spectrum do the true New York Rangers fall?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
As I've said since this summer, at worst top-3 in the East. A step behind the very best in the West though.

We are a ~55% possession team (apart from those odd slumps of horrible play that hopefully are behind us) with perhaps the best goaltending tandem in the league. That is a tough team to beat.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
League wide?

Anywhere from Tampa to Columbus, but not above Boston and no lower than Detroit.

In that general area, right in there. Anything, below the stereo, and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtray, and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How would you define a contender?

Have a realistic chance at the Cup. It's hard to say right now because it's been a weird season. Things have been clicking, and if they continue they way, I might change my opinion before the playoffs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Have a realistic chance at the Cup. It's hard to say right now because it's been a weird season. Things have been clicking, and if they continue they way, I might change my opinion before the playoffs.
How would you define realistic? :laugh:

But seriously.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What I find funny is that the stop drop and block 11-12 team that grinded out wins and were supposedly a defensive team with 5 NHL D-men, was a contender and the stardard of greatness on this board. A team that actually plays with the pucks, creates chances has 6 NHL defensemen, including some playing better than they were then (McDonagh, Stralman, pre=playoff Staal) is not a contender. The only thing I'll say is that that year seemed like an off year for the entire league.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Realistically, I think a conference final berth is the best we can hope for.

I do like the basis of this team, though. Speed, tenacity, and stifling defense. Four solid forward lines. And Hank, of course.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How would you define realistic? :laugh:

But seriously.

Realistic as in: not requiring a miracle. In my entirely subjective opinion I don't think they have enough talent to win a Cup. :)

I'm also unsure of how they would hold up against Pittsburgh/Boston in a 7 game series. As it stands now, I think they're in Tier 2 below teams like Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, St. Louis...Tier 1 being contenders.

*Bob Richards*

I'm feeling confident enough that this team could raise a few eyebrows and really challenge for the Conference. A Stanley Cup seems distant though unless Lundqvist channels his inner Hasek.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Here's a graphic from the piece:

october28.png

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Realistic as in: not requiring a miracle. In my entirely subjective opinion I don't think they have enough talent to win a Cup. :)

I'm also unsure of how they would hold up against Pittsburgh/Boston in a 7 game series. As it stands now, I think they're in Tier 2 below teams like Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, St. Louis...Tier 1 being contenders.

I usually hate this argument but did the Kings require a miracle? They steamrolled through the playoffs. Really had no business doing it. The Bruins in 2011, IMO weren't all that great and they beat one of the best regular season teams in the last decade to win it. Don't think anyone thought that was a miracle.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I usually hate this argument but did the Kings require a miracle? They steamrolled through the playoffs. Really had no business doing it. The Bruins in 2011, IMO weren't all that great and they beat one of the best regular season teams in the last decade to win it. Don't think anyone thought that was a miracle.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I don't understand your point. I just don't think this team is good enough to win a Cup, as I said it's entirely subjective.

I'm feeling confident enough that this team could raise a few eyebrows and really challenge for the Conference. A Stanley Cup seems distant though unless Lundqvist channels his inner Hasek.

Yeah, this is what I mean. Are Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider, Rick Nash, Brad Richards, Derick Brassard, etc. enough top end talent to win a Cup? Rick Nash is our highest-end forward, and it still remains to be seen if he can be a key contributor in the playoffs.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't understand your point. I just don't think this team is good enough to win a Cup, as I said it's entirely subjective.

Yeah, this is what I mean. Are Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider, Rick Nash, Brad Richards, Derick Brassard, etc. enough top end talent to win a Cup? Rick Nash is our highest-end forward, and it still remains to be seen if he can be a key contributor in the playoffs.

My point was that in the last 8 seasons, the Canes, Kings, and Bruins all won and none of them were dominant teams. Hell the Pens you can argue weren't even that complete of a team. Is it likely that they'll win? No. I just don't think it'll take a miracle.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Honestly the way things have been going lately I feel we're a cup contender. IF the play of late is what we base this on. Obviously there are teams like Boston and St Louis, Chicago etc.. But are we really that far behind in play ? St Louis we sucked the big one and lost 2-1. Chicago we beat, Boston we barely lost to in a horrible stretch.

I dont really buy into the notion that everyone resets and big teams suddenly become so different from regular season teams that you can not beat them unless you have this and that piece. This team lacks elite talent equal to Nash, but while we lack that talent, we really make up for that in the fact that we have 3 lines that produce goals at a whim. (Well, 2 lines unless Cally shows)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly the way things have been going lately I feel we're a cup contender. IF the play of late is what we base this on. Obviously there are teams like Boston and St Louis, Chicago etc.. But are we really that far behind in play ? St Louis we sucked the big one and lost 2-1. Chicago we beat, Boston we barely lost to in a horrible stretch.

I dont really buy into the notion that everyone resets and big teams suddenly become so different from regular season teams that you can not beat them unless you have this and that piece. This team lacks elite talent equal to Nash, but while we lack that talent, we really make up for that in the fact that we have 3 lines that produce goals at a whim. (Well, 2 lines unless Cally shows)

They did not suck the big one against St. Louis. I only saw the 2nd and 3rd period and the end of the 1st, but we outplayed them. We had 10 more shots than them and I'd say more chances. We lost because of a fluky goal. Even without that fluky goal if Nash doesn't take a lazy penalty you can throw a coin flip on whether we win or not. Hell we almost beat them when we were one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad