Speculation: Just how bad were the refs last year?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
-genuinely having no idea how to call stuff against mcdavid.
-calling 6 goals off on zack kassian
-blowing crucial calls in two games back to back to hand the ducks the momentum in the series in the playoffs

(on top of just the regular i pad....coach's challenge crap that makes the refs look awful at their job.).

I mean ....I'm kinda not sure how im going to take another season like that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
-genuinely having no idea how to call stuff against mcdavid.
-calling 6 goals off on zack kassian
-blowing crucial calls in two games back to back to hand the ducks the momentum in the series in the playoffs

(on top of just the regular i pad....coach's challenge crap that makes the refs look awful at their job.).

I mean ....I'm kinda not sure how im going to take another season like that.

You're gonna have to, because the league has shown no signs of any accountability towards the officials. Why else do the officials rely on a mini iPad to determine if the goal was good or bad. The game that drove me nuts with the officiating was the one in Arizona with OEL landing a dirty ass hit on Hendricks with Kassian responding in particular.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
They're bad and IMO the expanding nature of the review is just making everything worse. I don't know what the NHL is going to do (if anything), but it's not just hurting us. It's ugly across the league.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While I agree that they were bad League-wide last year, they cost the Oilers a playoff round. Just a complete s**t-show of ineptitude.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
every board could have this thread

but SOME on this board assumes it is just the oilers

actually i thought the playoff reffing was particularly bad ! not just the Oilers but other teams too with the lack of calls on all the hacking and whacking and interference. i get the "let 'em play" stuff in the playoffs but it had gotten to the point where it was brutal with the stuff they were letting go!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
As bad as they're supposed to be AKA as bad as possible.

Bad officiating = tweets/ ratings / more attention.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
They were absolutely terrible (look no further than the SCF) but they played no part in the game 7 loss.

Yup. Oilers had plenty of opportunity to win the series.

Even the 2 games where the calls were just awful, they still could have won in OT and nobody would have cared about those bad calls. IMO the team that wanted it more won the series. Game 7 proved that.

I know its summer but this thread seems like unnecessary complaining.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
They were absolutely terrible (look no further than the SCF) but they played no part in the game 7 loss.

At that point it didnt matter, the momentum was lost. They were trying to tilt the series as subtle as possible it just showed up way more in the previous games.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Bushleague to the nth degree. It was embarrassing and honestly, felt rigged at times during our series with the Ducks.

I've rarely been so upset during a sporting event as I was during games, what was it, 4 and 5?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
every board could have this thread

but SOME on this board assumes it is just the oilers

This makes it a legitimate problem then doesn't it? If it was just Oiler fans whining they were getting screwed then it might be easier to dismiss. its garbage all around and the league is happy with it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So is the question about NHL reffing or how hard done by the Oilers were in the Duck series? Overall, league wide in the entire season I thought it was extremely inconsistant and biased at points.....for various teams apart from the Oil. I can comment on the Playoffs with the OIlers only, because apart from a few games, that is all I watched. The Duck series was 2 things. Poor reffing was only one part. The big part was how well the much more experienced Ducks took absolute advantage of this type of reffing by using their stature of playoff and league experience and probably coaching to an extent. We got owned by the Ducks regarding how to "play the refs" big time. Hopefully we learned something from that.

But yeah, overall the reffing AND the league failed miserably last year. It was pretty pathetic IMO.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Some of the bad reviews and such in the playoffs I don't really understand.

But when people complain of the non-calls in the playoffs on McDavid and such.. Did you guys not watch the playoffs the last 10 years? They don't call that kind of stuff in the playoffs. Which is absolutely unacceptable IMO. I hate how the rule book changes in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad