Just got upgraded skate my toes are hitting the top.

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
I finally upgraded from the Bauer One05 to the One55. My One05's have never hurt me once. Now the One55's come in and my toes are rubbing.

Can someone tell me if this could go away or if it is normal.

I may send them back but I want to make sure they are the proper fit.

Do you recommend baking them if I keep them and will that help at all.

I am not sure of the general rule for the fitting of skates.

Thank you.

BadHammy*

Sounds like they are too small. They can probably be stretched to fit better. It's definitely better than buying a boot that's too big.

I have to disagree with the ever popular buy skates that are too small idea. High end composite skates won't stretch much length or width wise except in the ankle area. Punching skates out is not a guarantee of a great fit either. It's ok to buy a skate that's slightly long or wide in one area, if it's perfect everywhere else.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
I have to disagree with the ever popular buy skates that are too small idea. High end composite skates won't stretch much length or width wise except in the ankle area. Punching skates out is not a guarantee of a great fit either. It's ok to buy a skate that's slightly long or wide in one area, if it's perfect everywhere else.

I don't think that buying skates too small is a good idea at all. A snug fit all around is the best. I was just pointing out that a skate that is too big is worse.

You can't really do too much with a skate that is too big and it will only get worse once it's broken in.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Also, the OP points out why it's best to buy skates at your local hockey shop. Not only will they make sure that they fit you properly, but they'll also bake them and sharpen them free of charge when you buy them (at most locations).

The shop I bought my skates at would have charged me $65 to have them baked with the CCM fit system if I didn't buy them there. Sharpening is pretty cheap but for the cost I would have paid to have them baked and sharpened would have actually made the skates more expensive than if I bought them online.

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
This is all personal opinion in this post but it works for me and I hope it helps you it may and it may not.

I always buy skates to small. (I also don't have much of a choice I have size 14 feet) Odds are you will get use to the rubbing pain and s*hit.

I personally love my Nike's (have had new tuk blades on them alot) But Bauer makes a great skate also no doubt about that.

Again you are hearing a personal opinion on this here but wait them out if they still piss you off in a few weeks try something else. Skates sadly ain't cheap:laugh:

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks guys. I would have preferred to buy them locally but they were on close out. I am so disappointed.

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
I was comparing the One55s to my One05s and noticed on the 55 say size 9D and the 05 says 9R.

Is there a difference int the sized or are they the same?

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys. I would have preferred to buy them locally but they were on close out. I am so disappointed.

Anytime you try to save a few bucks buying skates online you run a very high risk that they won't fit properly. Fit varies hugely between manufacturers and often between different models of the same manufacturer. The only way it would make any sense is if an adult is buying a replacement pair identical to a previously owned pair.

It gets said a thousand times but skates should be professionally fitted in a decent hockey store, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
Anytime you try to save a few bucks buying skates online you run a very high risk that they won't fit properly. Fit varies hugely between manufacturers and often between different models of the same manufacturer. The only way it would make any sense is if an adult is buying a replacement pair identical to a previously owned pair.

It gets said a thousand times but skates should be professionally fitted in a decent hockey store, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

I have learned my lesson. I figured because they were still Bauers I had a chance. I am going to probably keep them.

Should I get them baked?

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I'm no expert on Bauer One55 skates but I wouldn't think baking would make a lot of difference to fit around the toes. Maybe punching them out in a certain spot might help?
When you say "toes rubbing", do you mean your pinkie toe against the side of the toe box. Is it just in a certain spot or are they just too cramped in there?

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
My big toe is rubbing a little. I was hoping if they break in, maybe that would help. Little toes are ok.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes, bake them. The padding around the back of the heel will probably compress a little, pulling your toe back, probably enough.

Also, anytime you buy a pair of skates that can be baked, you should bake them. It drastically shortens break in time, and makes the skates fit like they were supposed to. Many modern skates won't ever break in properly without it.

And D is regular width. The one 05s probably came in regular and wide, these can be ordered with all precise shoe widths. Not retail, retail will have D and EE, but custom you can order any width and any heel.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
The padding on the One55 is much more substantial than the One05. It might be that your heel is not completely locked in due to the ankle padding. If your toes are just touching, I would not worry to much about it. If they are curling up, then they are possibly too small.

Baking won't hurt.

tobyandmisty

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks guys, it makes sense.

I am getting them baked tomorrow. It is just my big toe rubbing a little.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Myers is definitely the odd man out. I don't think he will be a Canuck next season. You move Bear on the second pair, Schenn as a staple on the third pair and then sign a first pairing defensive defenceman like Zub in the off season.

Hughes - X
OEL - Bear
Dermott/Rathbone - Schenn

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Myers is definitely the odd man out. I don't think he will be a Canuck next season. You move Bear on the second pair, Schenn as a staple on the third pair and then sign a first pairing defensive defenceman like Zub in the off season.

Hughes - X
OEL - Bear
Dermott/Rathbone - Schenn
You know, I get posting in the wrong thread. It's happened to us all.

But posting in the wrong thread by posting in a thread from 12 years ago? That's impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
You know, I get posting in the wrong thread. It's happened to us all.

But posting in the wrong thread by posting in a thread from 12 years ago? That's impressive.

I noticed that, but you know what, I left it on purpose because the only reason I am in this shit thread is because of the horrible user experience on mobile. No idea why I am bombarded with massive blocks of threads when trying to make a reply.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad