Speculation: Just for fun: Letang's or Suter's contract?

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
My first thread in couple of years, just popped in my mind to ask this one and comments are welcome.

Question is: Would you take Kris Letang or Ryan Suter with their current contracts and why? Which one is better in a long run?

Here's both:

Letang: http://www.capgeek.com/player/482

Suter: http://www.capgeek.com/player/1044

How I see it myself is that Suter's contract is length wise very risky, but what I also think is that he will play longer career than Letang. They have pretty similar cap hit but Suter's contract will end in 2025, while Letang is off the books in 2022. Suter is also couple of years older and his final 3 years are 2-1-1 million money wise, if he retires early.

Personally, I would still take Suter, even that contract is more of a risk that he won't finnish it.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I'd take Suter and it's a no-brainer. He's just a much more reliable player in every zone. He's someone you can lean on to win games in any situation- including the PP. Letang is a flashy player with great natural talent, but he really needs to work on managing the game and managing the puck.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
I'd take Suter and it's a no-brainer. He's just a much more reliable player in every zone. He's someone you can lean on to win games in any situation- including the PP. Letang is a flashy player with great natural talent, but he really needs to work on managing the game and managing the puck.
Yes, I agree. Suter is almost perfect all around player, he doesn't score that much but everything else is fine. That's a very huge contract but he's "worth it" and Letang, not so much (at the moment at least).

SV1

Apr 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Suter and it's not close.

He gives you a significantly better chance to win than Letang does, and if you're stuck with his cap-hit for a few years after he's done, then that's probably not a bad trade off for a couple of cups.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would take Letang but groom him differently.

He needs someone to come in and simplify his game. Small stuff like when to pick a corner and when to just put the shot on net, gaining shooting angles and how to be part of plays instead of forcing them. Have him watch a lot of old Potvin vids and see how he would creep into the high slot to get off wrist shots and how to swoop into offense then stay in motion to get back on D.

To be honest I think the Pens instruct him to move up on every play and force offense. At the start of 2011 he played some of the best hockey he's ever played by just playing with in himself more. Then when Sid and Malkin got hurt he forced offense all over the ice instead of letting it come natural to him. He's never been that player since but I do think its still in him.

He should be an elite, 50pt, 2 way defensemen... and a nasty little booger.

I'm not sure if anyone saw him talk after the TO game but he beat himself up a little. He knows he's playing poorly. If your going through a bad stretch, why not just keep things simple???? But we see back to back behind the back passes at the offensive blue line from him and Sid yesterday. Why?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Suter actually you know, plays defense. Letang really needs to turn his career around or that contract is going to haunt us.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I like Kris Letang and I know you can win the cup with him on your team but what I don't like is the Kris Letang playing for Dan Bylsma.;)

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Sutter...
Letang usually can make up for his mental gaffes because of his all world skating ability. Now he is apparently still slowed by his knee and can not cover up his poor decision making.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There are a tons of players I'd take over Letang. Keith, Suter, Weber, Chara, OEL, etc. Suter is definitely one of them.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Maybe right now I'd take Suter or a lot of other D-Men over Letang. It could change down the road. I still think Letang's game will eventually settle down and he'll be a force in the league for many years whether it happens due to age and experience or just the right coach eventually getting through to him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Suter right now, Letang does have the ability to change this, and maybe as others said, under another coach, but I'm a firm believer he is what he is. He only seems like he can improve his body or maintain it because, that's the least path of resistence for him. He should do a stint for improving his D-body of work and apply it to his routine.

Are there instructor coaches for dummies who play in the NHL?

What's Lidstrom up to these days? How about Larry Murphy? Larry Robinson has been mentioned in other threads. He's full of knowledge our young defenders could learn from and maybe even, Letang.

These are all wishful thinking though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Suter's eight days a week.

Letang's got the tools to be a phenom, but he's dumb as a bag of doorknobs.

Suter can do everything, has a high hockey IQ, and makes those around him better.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Probably Suter because their age isn't that different. I do believe though much of Letang's increased "stupidity" is directly related to Dan Bylsma's system and how he encourages his D to play. It's a stupid breakout system and he emphasizes the wrong things, especially with a guy like Letang who needs to be reigned in a little bit, not given a free pass to try every stupid play he thinks he might be able to pull off with his immense skill.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Even when Letang isn't playing like garbage, wouldn't you still take Suter?

if you ask this question a year ago, the answer is probably Letang (he was playing infinitely better and on a better contract).

Suter also signed a ridiculous contract and started out slow.

Letang's new deal has yet to kick in. I'm going to give him some time before I assume he's devolved into a irreparable hot mess

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've been as critical of Letang as anyone... but I don't think it's safe to assume, at all, that this is somehow the new norm for him. I would probably take Suter over him, regardless (based mostly on what this team would benefit most from) but it isn't nearly as easy of a decision as people are making it seem.

Letang's highs are higher, IMO. It's obviously just a matter of how often he gets to that lofty plateau.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
I would take Letang but groom him differently.

He needs someone to come in and simplify his game. Small stuff like when to pick a corner and when to just put the shot on net, gaining shooting angles and how to be part of plays instead of forcing them. Have him watch a lot of old Potvin vids and see how he would creep into the high slot to get off wrist shots and how to swoop into offense then stay in motion to get back on D.

To be honest I think the Pens instruct him to move up on every play and force offense. At the start of 2011 he played some of the best hockey he's ever played by just playing with in himself more. Then when Sid and Malkin got hurt he forced offense all over the ice instead of letting it come natural to him. He's never been that player since but I do think its still in him.

He should be an elite, 50pt, 2 way defensemen... and a nasty little booger.

I'm not sure if anyone saw him talk after the TO game but he beat himself up a little. He knows he's playing poorly. If your going through a bad stretch, why not just keep things simple???? But we see back to back behind the back passes at the offensive blue line from him and Sid yesterday. Why?

I think Bylsma has a lot to do with the poor development of Letang. I think he is a cool guy and should be a 50 pt. 2 way defenseman also, but for some reason his hockey IQ is getting worse and worse.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Suter, and it's not even fair comparison. He is flawless defenseman who contributes at both ends, on all situations. Night in, night out. Letang's shortcoming at the moment is that he is too athletic and skillled for his own brain. He could be the best of the league, but as it's now, comparison to Suter is everything else but fair.

On the other hand, I'd take this year's Bouwmeester over this year's Letang equally easily. Great, great wheels and one damn intelligent d-man he is. Very good with the puck, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad