Just curious (re: trade proposals)

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Why do Gardiner, Kadri, etc always pop up in trade proposals? These guys are already producing nicely at NHL level and yet we're always more than ready to toss them into trades like they were garbage.

I mean "Kadri, Gardiner, TOR 21st overall for TB 3rd overall"? :(

Are you serious Leaf Nation (the user who proposed that trade seems to be a Leafs fan)? I wouldn't even trade Kadri alone for the 3rd overall.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Why do Gardiner, Kadri, etc always pop up in trade proposals? These guys are already producing nicely at NHL level and yet we're always more than ready to toss them into trades like they were garbage.

Are you serious Leaf Nation (the user who proposed that trade seems to be a Leafs fan)? I wouldn't even trade Kadri alone for the 3rd overall.

Because we can't have nice things.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Gotta give to get. If we could trade guys like Frattin for the 3rd overall pick then you'd probably see a lot more of that. Don't think it's a slight to Kadri or Gardiner, it's just everybody knows those are two guys other team will be looking for if they move a high pick/prospect

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

No one under management has ever admitted to offering Kadri or Gardiner. If other teams have asked like Vancouver, obviously if that is true the Leafs were not willing to part with those guys.

When Dale Hunter coached the Caps briefly he apparently tried to get him from the Leafs 2 yrs ago. Hunter coached Kadri and before Nazem was drafted, Hunter compared Kadri's upside to that of Tavares and Duchene. He thought that highly of him.

Before Gardiner was inserted into the Maple Leafs lineup in the Playoffs, I was worried that Carlyle and his preference to big, strong defenders, who block shots and are strong in there defensive zone was going to push Gardiner back in the depth chart. The fact is Toronto has no one who can dominate the defensive zone. That is Toronto's biggest weakness. Boston could flip a switch and get mean and forecheck and TORONTO WILTED. It hurt to watch, It still stings. Phaneuf is suppose to be that player with that salary but is NOT. Fraser has heavy feet, but i love his courage. Now that Gardiner stepped in and dominated against the Bruins, he must have locked himself into a Top 4 to start next year. Reilly I think will play in the WHL again.

Toronto needs an upgrade in a solid Defensive Defenseman.

I like Gardiner, Franson as my offensive guys moving forward. I like Fraser as wellproviding toughenss and grit and standing up for team-mates Fraser in the 5-6 role I ok with. Reilly is not ready. I dont like Liles, Phaneuf, Kostka, Gunnarsson I like in the 5-6 role.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
You wouldn't trade Kadri alone for 3rd overall??

Is this sarcasm? Can't tell over the interwebs. Kadri is a 7th overall pick himself, sublimely gifted and carefully developed over the last 5 years to the point where he's defensively responsible and can deliver at the NHL level. And you'd jettison him for yet another shiny prospect?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is this sarcasm? Can't tell over the interwebs. Kadri is a 7th overall pick himself, sublimely gifted and carefully developed over the last 5 years to the point where he's defensively responsible and can deliver at the NHL level. And you'd jettison him for yet another shiny prospect?

Jones, Drouin and Mackinnon are not shiny prospects. They are sure fire all-stars. Tampa Bay would NEVER trade #3 for Kadri. It would take more.

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
Trade proposals are a place for people to have fun. It's not like anyone on here has any say in who gets traded. Have some fun. Are you saying you wouldn't trade Gardiner, Kadri and Kessel for Jay Rosehill?

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Gotta give to get. If we could trade guys like Frattin for the 3rd overall pick then you'd probably see a lot more of that. Don't think it's a slight to Kadri or Gardiner, it's just everybody knows those are two guys other team will be looking for if they move a high pick/prospect

Or we could just stay put and develop/season our youngsters some more. I'm all for trying to improve our team via trade, but I just absolutely hate that Leaf Nation undervalues our own team so much.

Wasn't there a trade on the main boards which offered Kessel and Gardiner for Statsny and Johnson? Like what?!

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Jones, Drouin and Mackinnon are not shiny prospects. They are sure fire all-stars. Tampa Bay would NEVER trade #3 for Kadri. It would take more.

Jones and Mac perhaps.. but Drouin? We've seen undersized forwards with serious dangles bust before.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jones and Mac perhaps.. but Drouin? We've seen undersized forwards with serious dangles bust before.

Arent we all undersized at 17-18?

If u have seen Drouin play, Im not sure what u are watching. Its not just dangles. Its hands that are out of this world and playmaking ability that looks into the future before anyone else does. Drouin is magic.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Or we could just stay put and develop/season our youngsters some more. I'm all for trying to improve our team via trade, but I just absolutely hate that Leaf Nation undervalues our own team so much.

Wasn't there a trade on the main boards which offered Kessel and Gardiner for Statsny and Johnson? Like what?!

Haha agreed man, I'm just guessing as to why those guys specifically are being named in trade proposals and not others

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Arent we all undersized at 17-18?

If u have seen Drouin play, Im not sure what u are watching. Its not just dangles. Its hands that are out of this world and playmaking ability that looks into the future before anyone else does. Drouin is magic.

His skating is average (compared to Mac anyways). And once again, how his particular game style transitions to playing against huge NHL-calibre dmen is questionable.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Its because we have impatient and unrealistic fans. :help:

But then again, the proposals are quite entertaining to read.:yo:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Erik Johnson, Kyle Turris, Jack Johnson, Cam Barker and Jay Bouwmeester were also all considered sure fire all-stars, but what you have to realize is that it's not a 100% chance that prospects reach their potential. Would you trade Kadri for any of the players listed above? Nonis wouldn't trade him for the 3rd overall pick because it's not worth the risk to trade a known commodity for a 17 year old kid who hasn't even played a pro hockey game.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With all these trades about Gardiner, Rielly and Kessel etc. You gotta wonder if the same posters were around in the Pogge/Rask era, if they were offering up Rask like they're doing with Gardiner.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Erik Johnson, Kyle Turris, Jack Johnson, Cam Barker and Jay Bouwmeester were also all considered sure fire all-stars, but what you have to realize is that it's not a 100% chance that prospects reach their potential. Would you trade Kadri for any of the players listed above? Nonis wouldn't trade him for the 3rd overall pick because it's not worth the risk to trade a known commodity for a 17 year old kid who hasn't even played a pro hockey game.

You forgot the great one, Rick Dipietro :yo:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
It's a cycle:

Leafs draft prospect
Prospect develops into NHL player
NHL player has breakout season
"TRADE HIM FOR DRAFT PICKS WHILE HIS VALUE IS HIGH!!!!"
Leafs draft prospect
Prospect develops into NHL player
NHL player has breakout season
"TRADE HIM FOR DRAFT PICKS WHILE HIS VALUE IS HIGH!!!!"
Leafs draft prospect.....

etc, etc.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
In sports, potential is valuable. If you want to trade for a great player or get a high draft pick, you have to send something valuable back. That's just the way the game works. For the Leafs, Kadri and Gardiner are the most promising young players on the roster and naturally, when people talk big trades, those two names will always pop up.

If we're specifically talking about Leafs fans packaging Kadri and/or Gardiner for a high draft pick...well that's just a case of impatience.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
In the case of Gardiner, everyone suggests him in trades because they assume Reilly will be better than him. I would rather wait till both are in the NHL to make a move so that we're dealing from a position of strength. It's not like there's a hurry to move one now. We might even find that having two elite PMD (playing 80%+ of the game between them) works really well and turns out to be our competitive advantage.

In the case of Kadri, I think people are concerned about his defense. If he doesn't improve his defensive game, and his production slips, he kind of falls into that not-so-great second liner category. Again, I disagree - I think he just needs to apply himself to competing in the defensive zone and he'll make a good top six centre.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Because we can't have nice things.

This.

Every year come draft time it's the same insanity, we're flipping our best assets for scratch tickets. I've stopped looking at the trade proposal threads altogether...

Fanboy rosterbation.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
In the case of Gardiner, everyone suggests him in trades because they assume Reilly will be better than him. I would rather wait till both are in the NHL to make a move so that we're dealing from a position of strength. It's not like there's a hurry to move one now. We might even find that having two elite PMD (playing 80%+ of the game between them) works really well and turns out to be our competitive advantage.

In the case of Kadri, I think people are concerned about his defense. If he doesn't improve his defensive game, and his production slips, he kind of falls into that not-so-great second liner category. Again, I disagree - I think he just needs to apply himself to competing in the defensive zone and he'll make a good top six centre.
I see Kadri being a top liner or a sheltered centre. If his defence can drastically improve and he can become Duchene then yes, I wouldn't mind using him against top lines. However, the probability of that occurring isn't very high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad