Post-Game Talk: Just as I predicted

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
E protected the hell out of that back while getting hounded by the Sharks player. Was very impressed. He just looks so much better when not being forced into top pair.
He seems to be moving better overall too. Hope he keeps it up.

Happy to see how well Sproul is doing, but why is he just now getting the chance? He's got size, a good shot, right handed and an offensive side, and we've been stuck with Kindl, Quincey, etc? Sadly, if he wasn't out of options or if Kronwall wasn't hurt, he'd still be buried in GR.
He has improved a lot in the last year or so.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah Spoul really surprised me. He never really stood out in GR too much to me, but he's been great in these two games. Hope one day he can be the 1D we need. He's certainly got the offensive ability (hands, skating, iq and shot) and the size. Defense is the question mark as it has always been but he has surpassed all expectations in that regard so far. His stick work has been very impressive as noted above. I know its only 2 game and i'll probably be disappointed 30 games down the road, but for now i'm going to hype him up and pretend that he'll be a 1D someday just to make me feel good.

the main reason I'm excited for him is because he has actual talent unlike most of our other defenseman. He's a good skater (green/DDK are the only other decent skaters), he's got a good shot (only green has a good shot), he's got high offensive IQ (only green/kronner have this), he's got good stick work which helps with his offense, which gives him great potential with his stick work defensively too (not that he's necessarily there yet). Notice how the only other guys we have with his kind of talent (green, kronwall) were far superior to any of our other defenseman? Because they were talented! What do all elite defenseman have in common? Theyre talented! Look at Brent Burns - he always had great offensive talent but he hit another level and became a true 1D recently and a large part of that is due to learning to be a better defender. You don't see "defensive dmen" (a nice way of saying not very talented) suddenly having offensive breakouts - because they don't have the talent to do so!

DDK, marchenko, ouellet, ericsson are all void of any offensive talent. The will never become a 1D. Smith had talent but he is dumb as a rock - he shoots when he should pass and he passes when he should shoot so he never quite developed into much. Kronwall was always a good offensive guy that developed good defense later on and became a decent 1D. Green was a great offensive guy that never quite became a 1D due to his lack of defense but because of his talent he was still much better than defensive talentless plugs.

TLDR: Sproul has the talent to become a 1D - he has a level of talent that no other dman in our system has. Will he do it? Probably not, but at least the possibility is there which isn't true for marchy, ouellet, dekeyser, etc. That's what makes him exciting. That's what made Kindl and Smith exciting when they were younger. Hopefully he isn't another Kindl or Smith. One thing going for him is that he's a better physical specimen than either of those two.

Let's pump the brake for a second. :laugh: Sproul has played well last game but other D played well last game too. I'm not trying to take some away from his performance last night but right now, good structure is helping him out making good, quick decisions. Also Wings having last change somewhat helped too I think.

Guys like DK proved for several season he can be relied upon in incredible sticky situations. I dont know how Sproul will perform in that situation. Maybe next game, I will watch him somewhat closely.

I dont want to curb people's excitement but at the same time, I've seen some people in this forum get too excited about certain players and in their mind, coaching staff and organization is doing some great disservice to their said player by not giving him more chances. Just being slightly cautious.

Besides, as a D, there are more things I'm interested than offensive skills and skating. I think there's a lot that goes into becoming 1D than just skating and skills. What kind of decision the player makes with the puck? How the player reads situation? aware of what's going on around him? Where is he positioned in different situation? Why? Can he read the play opponents are trying to make two steps later? How quickly can he do that? If a puck leaves his stick, where does it end up couple seconds later? Does he get baited easily by opposition and how far does he chase the puck out? Among other things. And that's just decision making department alone.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
He seems to be moving better overall too. Hope he keeps it up.

He has improved a lot in the last year or so.

That wasn't really what the scouting report on him was.

Apparently he wasn't considered better than XO who initially got the start over him. He wouldn't be playing had Kronwall been healthy. Chances are he would have been lost on waivers.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Apparently he wasn't considered better than XO who initially got the start over him. He wouldn't be playing had Kronwall been healthy. Chances are he would have been lost on waivers.

The scouting report was always "huge upside, will he reach it?"

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Happy to see how well Sproul is doing, but why is he just now getting the chance? He's got size, a good shot, right handed and an offensive side, and we've been stuck with Kindl, Quincey, etc? Sadly, if he wasn't out of options or if Kronwall wasn't hurt, he'd still be buried in GR.

IMO, it was because he was very consistent in Grand Rapids and didn't put up the numbers you'd hope he would have (he still put up decent numbers). Plus, he was brutal defensively down there without much of those offensive "wow" plays we were hoping for.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
IMO, it was because he was very consistent in Grand Rapids and didn't put up the numbers you'd hope he would have (he still put up decent numbers). Plus, he was brutal defensively down there without much of those offensive "wow" plays we were hoping for.

Sometimes in hockey a player will be just average throughout his minor league career then when he ends up playing with players they play their position correctly it helps said player out a ton and he ends up looking real good.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Sproul was a really bad hockey player until last year.

People can keep this gripe up, but Sproul saved his hockey career last year. His first two years in Grand Rapids were horrible. He is just now getting here because that is as quickly as he could develop. The good news there is the strides he has made in the last year and change could mean his development has just hit a rapid phase where things are clicking.

But the long approach to Sproul's development was crucial. Him and Tatar are awful examples by those that like to use them as why did they spend so much time in Grand Rapids. Because both players needed almost their entire stay for it to really click.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'm just pleased that we have a 6'5" guy with offensive instincts who isn't afraid to use his body.

He bowled over the guy before giving the puck to Nyquist, it was great to see. It was probably more a case Sproul having his eye for the puck, but it was still nice.

It'd be a massive bonus to this team if he managed 25-30 points playing relatively sheltered minutes.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
1) Who starts next game?

2) Three RHD in the lineup for the first time since...09? Rafalski, Chelios and Lebda?
Lebda aka Borat and all his nicknames was a lefty I believe.
I think last time it was
Lidstrom - olausson
Fischer chelios
Duchesne dandenault
3 games this week, who you think starts in net for majority of them? You gotta go back to Howard. I say Howard 2-1 over Mrazek, thoughts?

Howard has been great, but maybe he has been great cause not playing much fits his body better. Last 2-3 seasons he could not get it going because his body could not hold on, I guess. Just my speculation.
We should wait till 10 games into the season.

Some players play better on a higher level.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I would normally agree with you, but if FRK is claimable. Anyone is claimable.

maybe you are right. Carolina particularly likes our waiver players.

Still in the end, we end up gaining by losing. in my opinion.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah it'd probably be Ouellet.

Marchenko and Ericsson seem to have found something on the 2nd pair. Not sure how long it'll last.

The answer will become clearer if Sproul can stay solid defensively.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah it'd probably be Ouellet.

Marchenko and Ericsson seem to have found something on the 2nd pair. Not sure how long it'll last.

The answer will become clearer if Sproul can stay solid defensively.

yes. it's kinda unclear at this point.

Great thing is, we dont have to make that decision now. We can just let it play out itself.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
When is kronwall due back?

have no idea. I think I heard it's going to take a while.

It's a concern because the way Wings D have to skate up and down, maintain closing gap, while if a guy gets behind him, has to rush back.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
have no idea. I think I heard it's going to take a while.

It's a concern because the way Wings D have to skate up and down, maintain closing gap, while if a guy gets behind him, has to rush back.

Ideally I'd like to see him play in Grand Rapids for a handful of games to get a look and push himself. Not sure if he's agree to go down though.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Sproul was a really bad hockey player until last year.

People can keep this gripe up, but Sproul saved his hockey career last year. His first two years in Grand Rapids were horrible. He is just now getting here because that is as quickly as he could develop. The good news there is the strides he has made in the last year and change could mean his development has just hit a rapid phase where things are clicking.

But the long approach to Sproul's development was crucial. Him and Tatar are awful examples by those that like to use them as why did they spend so much time in Grand Rapids. Because both players needed almost their entire stay for it to really click.

IIRC Sproul was a late bloomer in juniors with the Greyhounds too.

Anyway, lots to like in this game. Good to see so many players playing well. Just need to get Sheahan going and Larkin a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad