Management Just another ranking! GM Pierre Dorion WORST moves #1

Which move was the worst? #1

• Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows (36 y/o) + extension (2 years x 2.5)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dylan Demelo for 2020 3rd (#71 OA Leevi Meriläinen)

• 2016 1st (#12 OA) + 2016 3rd (#80 OA) for 2016 1st (#11 OA Logan Brown)

• 2021 5th (#148 OA) for Erik Gudbranson (29 y/o)

• Anthony Duclair (25 y/o) not qualified, let go as RFA

• Mike Condon (27 y/o) extension (3 years x 2.4)

• Hiring DJ Smith and staff

• 2020 4th (#95 OA) for Joshua Brown (26 y/o) + extension (2 years x 1.2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Negativity negativity negativity… do a pools with his good moves too

Yes I will, it will go faster this way and we'll be able to compare both lists. Dorion also has plenty of good moves but a GM can't bat for under 0.500, we need more than that if our plan is to contend

Seems like a pointlessly negative thread/poll when all of these moves have been discussed ad nauseum in the Trade/Around the NHL threads.

You're going to hear from my lawyers :sarcasm:

Seriously, if most posters were saying it was not desired, the project would then be abandoned but I think it won't be the case and you'll be in a very small minority

And it brought good karma for the game tonight!

It's fun to list them all and rank them. No fun allowed?

Personally, I find this kind of process fun. I like to categorize and classify, gives a clearer view

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Seriously how many years are you guys going to cry about Zbad?
How about how many people cried about needing to keep Turris
Or how many people thought they should keep Douch
Or how many people thought the EK trade was bad...
None of you have a better “record” then Dorion

Probably until the team starts winning Stanley Cups.

How can you forget about Brian Lee over Kopitar? Or choosing Redden over Chara? Trading Hossa for Heatley?

The NHL is a league where it's very hard to win. We want to see our team win, we're going to carefuly follow all the decisions they will make. If we weren't, maybe it'd mean that we wouldn't care as much

In the end, this is a discussion board. If you are not talking about team related decisions, then why the hell are you even here? :huh:

Says something about the people that like this kind of ‘fun’.

And what does it say you think? :popcorn:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A negative poll on a night when they played so well, makes no sense.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I put Matt Murray because at least Brassard was still good when we traded for him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Meh everyone demands the Sens trade for legit help.....then they can cry for six years because they traded a good young future player for good help. And around and around it goes

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hey, this poll seems familiar. ;)

The first three (Zibanejad), Duchene, and Stepan get my vote. So many to choose from.

Reactions: Icelevel

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have not seen the results, but for me it is a tight choice between the Zibanejad, Stone and Hoffman trades.

The Duchene trade was actually fine, it was a ballsy move that backfired, but at the time we had literally traded a bunch of overrated assets that have so far amounted to nothing (except the terrible finish that lead to a top 4 pick).

If we finish that season in the middle of the pack then that pick is somewhere between 13-17, and we got it right back when we traded Duchene to Columbus (19th overall Thomson).

Reactions: Icelevel

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brassard
Duchene

When did anyone demand lateral/marginal upgrade trades?

If fans can’t complain about the two worst trades in this management’s tenure and arguably two of the worst trades in franchise history what can they complain about?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A negative poll on a night when they played so well, makes no sense.

If the Sens lose 4-0 to Calgary tonight and I start a "Pierre Dorion best moves #1" poll tomorrow morning, what would you say then? Because I intend to do that

Actually going to do it while watching the game, because I'll do the #2 poll for best and for worst tomorrow morning

I put Matt Murray because at least Brassard was still good when we traded for him.

You absolutely have to take in consideration that the cost to acquire Murray was only a 2nd and Gruden, there's a significant difference between Zibanejad and Gruden lol

Also, since Gustavsson has started playing in the NHL on March 17th, both goalies have had the exact same SV% with 0.924

Murray had that horrible first month and a half label that will probably stick until he's somewhere else. Hogberg numbers were even worse (NHL career over?) and Daccord numbers were bad too even if he played great. Our team defense was simply not NHL caliber, like much much worse than this season, if it's even possible.

Meh everyone demands the Sens trade for legit help.....then they can cry for six years because they traded a good young future player for good help. And around and around it goes

Maybe we're not expressing ourselves correctly.

We want trades/signings like : D. Toews, Graves, Schmidt, Arvidsson, Buchnevich, Reinhart, Dillon, Voracek, Leddy, Wennberg, Forbort, Hoffman, Cole, Danault, Hyman, R. Murray, Saad, Larsson, etc... there's so many, and even more that would be available with a desire to spend money

Sure people wanted to trade for Eichel (and considering the once-in-a-lifetime discount price, it would have been worth it) but outside of him, no one has asked to trade for McDrai.

The Duchene trade was actually fine, it was a ballsy move that backfired, but at the time we had literally traded a bunch of overrated assets that have so far amounted to nothing (except the terrible finish that lead to a top 4 pick)..

Forgot to mention, this is with the benefit of hinsight, the end result of the trades/moves. Not a lot of Dorion moves were bad right away. I also didn't expect the Duchene trade to blow up in our face like that

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
This is such a horrendous list of moves I don't know where to begin

Other than please fire the f*** out of this moron

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'll take that bet.

I think he should already be 2nd stringer behind Gustavsson going forward.
I really hope that Gustavsson is as good as people on this board think he is but bear in mind that he only has 16 NHL games to his credit following an undistinguished minor league apprenticeship. It's way too soon to be assuming that he's the real deal. I'm just glad that we've got a goalie on the roster who has record of accomplishment.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I really hope that Gustavsson is as good as people on this board think he is but bear in mind that he only has 16 NHL games to his credit following an undistinguished minor league apprenticeship. It's way too soon to be assuming that he's the real deal. I'm just glad that we've got a goalie on the roster who has record of accomplishment.
For sure and they are not directly affecting situations, but at this point, I think its more important to give the guy with a future the reps with this squad and Murray should be 1b at best until Gus falters.

They needed to bring in an Nhl goalie when they brought Murray in and that part of getting him I was on board with, just not a fan after watching him since he was brought in and of course we all know he's grossly overpaid as the bigger issue. Murray is not going to see much success in Ottawa imo, but I hope I'm wrong.

Ive always been more of a throw mud at the wall and see what sticks when it comes to goaltending with how quickly it seems to change, so i've never been excited about big goalie contracts in general.

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Voted for the Zibanejad trade. Unlike some others (Stone) it was unforced because the team had multiple years of remaining control of Zibanejad.

Reactions: Tuna99

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Zibby trade
Stone trade
Hoff trade
Stepan Trade
Duchene Trade
Not only trading DeMelo for nothing, but not re-signing him
Acquiring Gudbranson at all
Losing Balcers for nothing
Stepan trade
Acquiring Burrows
Murray trade

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The one thing that I think pushes the Duchene trade past the Zibby one is that it could be argued that at least in the short term Brassard helped. We probably shouldn't have been in "go for it" mode at the time, but perhaps Dorion had reason to believe that Karlsson and Stone would be tough to extend for whatever reason. The Duchene trade basically never brought us anything.

Reactions: Tuna99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad