Just Another Job (1972) Nordiques Documentary

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by tarheelhockey, Mar 2, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Sorry to post two similar threads in a row, but this one is a can't-miss as well. Documents the run-up to the Nordiques' WHA opener against Edmonton in 1972. You really get a sense of the French cultural influence over the team, as well as some really fascinating behind-the-scenes footage of training camp and pregame activity. Maurice Richard is shown coaching (uncomfortably), and there is a revealing interview with the designer of the team logo and uniforms -- including alternate concepts.

If nothing else, just watch the first 90 seconds. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :laugh:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/just_another_job/

2. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

Nice watch. I have to say two things that I found particularly interesting.

a) The designer. I wonder if that kid knew that he had created a logo that would have a sort of "cult" image 40 years later. Designing a sports logo can really be that shot to do something iconic, of course then again you have a guy somewhere who created the Islanders fisherman logo which is iconic in its own rather undesirable way. I think it's interesting that at the time the Nords went for red-white-blue to keep with the familiar Habs look but as the years went on the blue became the trademark Nords color and the red became less and less prominent.

b) I thought it was funny that like all but two guys on that team were French but when they get ready for the game, the yells go "Let's Go!" "Come on!". Those two phrases are just so instinctive and integral to sports, I suppose they are almost universal.

3. HF007

HF007 nWo

The first 90 seconds are a trip lol
    good find anyone else rememeber the special cbc did on quebec nordiques like 5-6 years?

4. BlackDog13

BlackDog13 Registered User

Quebec is french. Quebec is money. :laugh:

One of my favorites, I miss the WHA.