Just a casual John Tavares conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
yea he almost won an Art Ross once in a a very low scoring race , he's the most overhyped player in the league and has been dining out on what he did as a 16 year old for a decade

very good offensive player but he'll be 28 and at the tail end of his prime by the time his new deal kicks in , i have zero desire and we have little need for 10m dollar (give or take) 2nd line center who's mediocre/weak defensively and who's always been used to the entire team catering to padding his stats

we need a stud D so if we're going to dream about signing a big name ufa that guy should be Doughty who's contract is up a year later

damn, i never realized one cracked team Canadas roster on what they did as a 16 year old.

and i never knew that team canada was into taking weak 2 way players

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Dmen and goalies can get better as ufas. Forwards top out early. Almost every forward it seems has their best years in their early to mid 20's. The can still be good after mid 20s but rarely are any of them better than the we're pre. 25.
We really don't want to payoff Tavares for the good years he had in NewYork

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tavares isn't a me type of guy. He just wants to win, I've heard this from multiple people who know him. He's a very dedicated player as well as loyal. He took a huge discount to stay with the Islanders.

Yes, he wants to win, but he also wants to be the main guy, the leader of the team. Tavares would rather be the franchise player for the Isles, the team who drafted him, then sign as a FA with the Leafs and play second fiddle to Matthews. I don't think there's anything wrong with that actually. But I don't think the Isles are close to winning a Cup.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
damn, i never realized one cracked team Canadas roster on what they did as a 16 year old.

and i never knew that team canada was into taking weak 2 way players

he didn't crack team Canada because of what he did as 16 year old but fans keep believing he's a generational player because of that one season even though he's hasn't ever come close to playing at that level

so you think Seguin among other forwards are above avg defensively as well ?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Pass build team from within. Also, the amount of money and contract years not going to be good. Think 10 years 70 million etc. Put your faith in Matthews and Nylander.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Pending d-men UFA's at the same time as Tavares:

M-E Vlasic
John Carlson
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Toby Entrom

Mike Green
Zdeno Chara (probably retires)

Meh, I did have high hopes in Johnson but I dont think hes what I was looking for. The top 3 you mentioned. Sure.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I would take him if he took a discount. Hawks added Hossa and Pens added Kessel to both their high octane offenses. I don't see why the Leafs shouldn't.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
Too bad he isn't what we need... we need a comparable Dman, not another forward.
Is there actually a possibility we get someone like pickles or fowler?

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Too bad he isn't what we need... we need a comparable Dman, not another forward.
Is there actually a possibility we get someone like pickles or fowler?

Lol @ Pickles.

Maybe him, if SJ makes an early exit this year. Fowler, not likely. He's still got some youth.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I'd rather sign Duchene when he's a UFA, he'd be 3-4 million cheaper. Obviously he's not as good as Tavares, but I still think he's a 70 point player on a high offensive team like Toronto vs a team that was last in the league in PP% and GF

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pass build team from within. Also, the amount of money and contract years not going to be good. Think 10 years 70 million etc. Put your faith in Matthews and Nylander.

I think you meant, 10 million a year for 7 years = 70 million.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think you meant, 10 million a year for 7 years = 70 million.

He must have a lot of intangibles because his point totals don't come close to offering that much cash, and they won't get better. Johnny T has had his best days he won't be getting better the best any team can hope for is that he maintains his present level.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He must have a lot of intangibles because his point totals don't come close to offering that much cash, and they won't get better. Johnny T has had his best days he won't be getting better the best any team can hope for is that he maintains his present level.

Would you be surprised if he were to be offered close to that?

Are any UFA's signed with the expectation that they'll get better?
They pretty much are what they are at this point.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Would you be surprised if he were to be offered close to that?

Are any UFA's signed with the expectation that they'll get better?
They pretty much are what they are at this point.
I'd be very surprised if he got 10. He may get 8 from a deseparate team in need of a center but that's not us anymore. He isn't getting more than Stamkos did.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be very surprised if he got 10. He may get 8 from a deseparate team in need of a center but that's not us anymore. He isn't getting more than Stamkos did.

I would agree. Hard to give anyone 10 anymore without the salary cap going up.

I don't think Tavares belongs in Toronto. If he shows up, it's his team when the Leafs already have 3 kids making it their team. Toronto is 2 real good defensemen away from being a team that could go on a run.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would agree. Hard to give anyone 10 anymore without the salary cap going up.

I don't think Tavares belongs in Toronto. If he shows up, it's his team when the Leafs already have 3 kids making it their team. Toronto is 2 real good defensemen away from being a team that could go on a run.

Exactly, we need D more than we need Tavares. Besides, he could have set himself up to potentially come to Toronto sooner, but, he failed to do so when he signed his last contract.

Just say NO to Tavares, we don't need him any more than we needed Stamkos!

JMHO.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, he wants to win, but he also wants to be the main guy, the leader of the team. Tavares would rather be the franchise player for the Isles, the team who drafted him, then sign as a FA with the Leafs and play second fiddle to Matthews. I don't think there's anything wrong with that actually. But I don't think the Isles are close to winning a Cup.

Not true at all. I know his ex and all she says is he's a team guy. Works hard and just wants to win. He doesn't care about being the guy or what not. He's never been that type of guy. She thinks there's a chance he would come back to Toronto. I won't get into specifics but she thinks it's possible he leaves Brooklyn

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not true at all. I know his ex and all she says is he's a team guy. Works hard and just wants to win. He doesn't care about being the guy or what not. He's never been that type of guy. She thinks there's a chance he would come back to Toronto. I won't get into specifics but she thinks it's possible he leaves Brooklyn

everyone wants to win , why do people act like that's some sort of rare thing in an athlete

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd be happy with him. With Bozak and JVR off the books he'd fit. Move Kapanen to his wing with Marner and we have 2 elite offensive lines. It's be hard to top. Sign Alzner this year at 6 per, giv'r or take, and our D starts to take shape for Cup contention. It's not strong like Chicago's D, but our offense is on a level all its own. I'd say we're better then Pitts offense, overall. We have the perfect coach for that depth on offense.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I'm not saying we need him. But stamkos had the 8th year. A team would have to sign him for 7 so AAV should go up.

Stammer got 68 total. I don't think Johnny settles for 56.

Especially considering he took a sweetheart deal from the isles to try to give them space to win. Only to suck. He won't be doing that again. I think he goes to NYI and gets a bigger contract this year. Probably 8.5 to 9.5 to make up for the 5.5 he has been getting.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
X

I'm not saying we need him. But stamkos had the 8th year. A team would have to sign him for 7 so AAV should go up.

Stammer got 68 total. I don't think Johnny settles for 56.

Especially considering he took a sweetheart deal from the isles to try to give them space to win. Only to suck. He won't be doing that again. I think he goes to NYI and gets a bigger contract this year. Probably 8.5 to 9.5 to make up for the 5.5 he has been getting.

At 21 or 22 years oldcoming off an 81 point season and plenty of time for improvement he signs for 5.5 million. Now at 27 with his best years behind him and coming off back to back ~70 point seasons he is somehow worth 8.5-9.5? I don't see it but whatever. If he gets it from the Islanders, good for him and I would see it as the islanders sort of paying him for past service (81 and an 86 point) seasons. If anybody else gave him that much, it would be a poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad