Just a casual John Tavares conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
At 21 or 22 years oldcoming off an 81 point season and plenty of time for improvement he signs for 5.5 million. Now at 27 with his best years behind him and coming off back to back ~70 point seasons he is somehow worth 8.5-9.5? I don't see it but whatever. If he gets it from the Islanders, good for him and I would see it as the islanders sort of paying him for past service (81 and an 86 point) seasons. If anybody else gave him that much, it would be a poor decision.

I agree. I think he will get an even up contract from the isles that no other team should want to match. That's what I'm saying. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The isles are over a barrel with him. They have to keep their only star. He will say u owe me. Pay up. No team will want to match. I'm guessing of course but I think he cashes in big with the isles.

If you are Johnny why take 56 when you already took a haircut? And as a leaf fan I don't want my
Team to have to extra because he gave the last
Team a deal

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
At 21 or 22 years oldcoming off an 81 point season and plenty of time for improvement he signs for 5.5 million. Now at 27 with his best years behind him and coming off back to back ~70 point seasons he is somehow worth 8.5-9.5? I don't see it but whatever. If he gets it from the Islanders, good for him and I would see it as the islanders sort of paying him for past service (81 and an 86 point) seasons. If anybody else gave him that much, it would be a poor decision.

he signed the extension after his second season where he had 67 pts

What he's worth and what he'll sign for are much different . The Islanders will easily give him 9m plus on an 8 year deal and if he tests the free agent market some GM will give him that over 7 years and then ruin his team catering to him so they can justify the deal .

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
At the end of the day, its too far out, and our cap situation should be very different by the time hes a free agent. We can't really go deeper on this subject than he's a great player, he might want to play here, we may be able to fit him in.

After we lock-in our roster for next season, we can start having more meaningful discussion on the topic.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
everyone wants to win , why do people act like that's some sort of rare thing in an athlete

exactly I said he wants to win. But he doesn't care about being THE guy. Those two things are not even interchangeable. Why does everyone think it's rare that some athletes are not narcissistic and don't mind being a team guy.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We need D.
No expensive UFAs this early in the rebuild. Simple.

I didn't want Tavares. Not because he isnt a good player. Because we couldn't afford a UFA so early in the rebuild.

In the end he inflated salaries, caused players to sign short term deals and we are missing huge pieces with no Cap Room.

Reactions: hotpaws and Moonman

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
We need to stay away from Tavares. Amazing player but we'll be in cap hell. Mathews at 8M Tavares at 10M, Marner and Nylander at 6.5 That's 30 + million locked up to 4 forwards

Matthews 11.6
Tavares 11
Marner some stupid high money.
Nylander 6.9

Worse than you thought.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Who is the big defenceman who is available?

It's nice to say we should have used the cap on a defenceman, but I don' remember any really good ones hitting UFA, and trading for them is ridiculously expensive asset wise.

So we either sign JT, using only cap space, or we go out and trade multiple big assets AND use cap space on a big name D.

Keep patting yourself on the back, though, armchair GM.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Very good point.
I am pretty sure you'd have to trade for a good D.
You can do that with cap space (take on a dump).

So your plan is to take on a salary dump, pay a defenceman big $$$, not sign our 2nd C who scored 47 goals last year, and lose Marner/Nylander.

I bet the team would definitely be in better shape. All that freed up cap space to sign the Bogosians and Hayes of the world.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
So your plan is to take on a salary dump, pay a defenceman big $$$, not sign our 2nd C who scored 47 goals last year, and lose Marner/Nylander.

I bet the team would definitely be in better shape. All that freed up cap space to sign the Bogosians and Hayes of the world.
LOL.

Hockey is a team game.
You build teams - over time.

47 goals ... nothing to show.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Who is the big defenceman who is available?

It's nice to say we should have used the cap on a defenceman, but I don' remember any really good ones hitting UFA, and trading for them is ridiculously expensive asset wise.

So we either sign JT, using only cap space, or we go out and trade multiple big assets AND use cap space on a big name D.

Keep patting yourself on the back, though, armchair GM.

It's so easy for some - shoulda bridged, shoulda got a dman, shoulda......

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It's so easy for some - shoulda bridged, shoulda got a dman, shoulda......

Just 2 weeks ago someone here said the easy solution on Marner was to bridge him for 1 year at $5.5M. Let me get this straight.....1.15 Pts/GP lands you a 1 year $5.5 M deal? As a player you assume all the risk of a one year deal? After already having forfeited millions because your GM refused bonuses which he then gave out to your teammate a couple weeks later.

I'm all for low contracts but some of what people suggest around here as options is just downright silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad