Speculation: Juraj Slafkovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I really want Nemec this year but zero chance I’d trade our 2023 1st for him, just take him this draft

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, I don't know man it's like people expected him to singlehandedly win games and now that he wasn't able to do it they think he didn't do enough...

It's a team game...
Also, he followed his coaching orders. Called a team player…

Reactions: Saxon

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
The CHL simply cannot match the $ being thrown at US hockey development programs from minor league systems through prep schools, and ability to lure any coach, trainer, hockey development type from Canada.

Tremendous focus on skill development in US system combined with unmatched investment capability…. it’s not if but when.
The CHL develops players just fine and it takes more than money to make an NHL player...if it were the case i would have had a great career!:naughty:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This has never been specified by the league.

I spent the whole week before the lottery trying to find an official answer. Nada

(3) Limit on Teams Winning a Lottery Draw

No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period.
This limitation will not affect a Club’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude the possibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason of winning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period.
This limitation will not affect a Club’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude the possibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason of winning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.

Good.

I looked all over for that and only thing i could find was the resume

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I don't think that's correct, we didn't win the lottery

They only count it as a win if you move up from your original standing. We were first and stayed at first.

...we did "win" the Lottery, we also had the highest probability to win it for finishing in dead last...as far as I understand it, and please correct me if the information is incorrect, no team can claim 1st OA or 2nd OA more than twice in any 5-year period (unless certain "Special Circumstances" are attained...see below); so in the case that we win one of the Lottery Draws again next year, be it for #1 OA or #2 OA, we would be unable to "win" another draw & pick at either #1 OA or #2 OA until the 2027 Draft (again, unless the "Special Circumstances" happen), so even if we finish dead last in any of those years in between, the best we can do is #3 OA unless one of the teams that "win" a Draw must move up more than 10 places to attain said winning pick; in that case, the last place team(s) would retain their original spots...clear as mud??...:dunno:

...again, if anyone has more official clarity, please chime in and call me an idiot...please...:laugh::thumbu::laugh:

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Really? Seems like a pretty big oversight

His link answered 2 of my 3 questions.

-whether wins simply count, or moving up
A: need to move up to count

-whether once the limitation is reached, the limitation is attached to the team or the pick.
A: to the team, meaning the pick can be sold to a team without the limitation and will count in the lottery draw.

- Whether if the 12th placed team wins the first draw, will they get 2nd or 3rd
No answer

A few sites said the same as I did, that they get the 2nd pick and the 2nd draw is then relegated for the 3rd place, while other sites like Tankhaton had them picking 3rd.

Reactions: windycity

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Chances of getting Bedard are slim, we’re very likely not winning the lottery twice in a row.

Nemec is a superstar puck moving defenseman. We will already have Suzuki / Wright we won’t even need unicorn fairytale Bedard.

We can get our #1 D man right now, why wouldn’t we? I would.

Yea but after talking for a week about NHL conspiring with the leafs to influence us in not picking Wright, your credibility is kinda shot

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
...we did "win" the Lottery, we also had the highest probability to win it for finishing in dead last...as far as I understand it, and please correct me if the information is incorrect, no team can claim 1st OA or 2nd OA more than twice in any 5-year period (unless certain "Special Circumstances" are attained...see below); so in the case that we win one of the Lottery Draws again next year, be it for #1 OA or #2 OA, we would be unable to "win" another draw & pick at either #1 OA or #2 OA until the 2027 Draft (again, unless the "Special Circumstances" happen), so even if we finish dead last in any of those years in between, the best we can do is #3 OA unless one of the teams that "win" a Draw must move up more than 10 places to attain said winning pick; in that case, the last place team(s) would retain their original spots...clear as mud??...:dunno:

...again, if anyone has more official clarity, please chime in and call me an idiot...please...:laugh::thumbu::laugh:
We didn't win the lottery because we didn't move up.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
We didn't win the lottery because we didn't move up.

...I do not think that view is correct, at least according to the NHL...we "won" the draw for 1st OA...I believe that is how they look at it...again, they have never really clarified some of the questions, so clarity from a NHL Senior Official would help...

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
...I do not think that view is correct, at least according to the NHL...we "won" the draw for 1st OA...I believe that is how they look at it...again, they have never really clarified some of the questions, so clarity from a NHL Senior Official would help...

This is the official NHL media release on the draft rules (I had quoted that with my previous post):

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Habs acquire a another top 10, please that will be a for a forward and not a defenseman... Habs need to build their forward group more than their defensive group. (They can draft a really good D in 2nd rounde, Sam Rinzel is a wildcard and RD, 6'4).

If Habs got another top 10... it's between Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, Nazar, Savoie and Kemell.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Habs acquire a another top 10, please that will be a for a forward and not a defenseman... Habs need to build their forward group more than their defensive group. (They can draft a really good D in 2nd rounde, Sam Rinzel is a wildcard and RD, 6'4).

If Habs got another top 10... it's between Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, Nazar, Savoie and Kemell.
None of the Habs D prospects are projected to have PP QB as area of strength

Reactions: ArtPeur and Saxon

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This is the official NHL media release on the draft rules (I had quoted that with my previous post):

...this is how I understand the NHL's view on it:

A team "wins" a Lottery pick in Year 1 & 3, finishes dead last in year 5 while one of the two "winning" Lottery pick teams finishes the Season in 13th spot (and so moves up to 3rd spot); the team that finished dead last still gets one of the two highest picks despite "winning" the Lottery twice already in said 5-year period...

...am I looney or does that make some semblance of sense to people??...:dunno:

None of the Habs D prospects are projected to have PP QB as area of strength

...if it is at all possible to get another Top 5 pick, Nemec should be who we want...I know, a dream...:laugh:

Reactions: salbutera

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
...this is how I understand the NHL's view on it:

A team "wins" a Lottery pick in Year 1 & 3, finishes dead last in year 5 while one of the two "winning" Lottery pick teams finishes the Season in 13th spot (and so moves up to 3rd spot); the team that finished dead last still gets one of the two highest picks despite "winning" the Lottery twice already in said 5-year period...

...am I looney or does that make some semblance of sense to people??...:dunno:

...if it is at all possible to get another Top 5 pick, Nemec should be who we want...I know, a dream...:laugh:

It's simple: a lottery win only counts towards the limitation if and only if the team moves UP by winning the draw.

We won the draw, but did not move up, so it doesn't count towards the limitation.

You could end-up last every year and win the draw every year and it still won't count towards the limit.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It's simple: a lottery win only counts towards the limitation if and only if the team moves UP by winning the draw.

We won the draw, but did not move up, so it doesn't count towards the limitation.

You could end-up last every year and win the draw every year and it still won't count towards the limit.

...I honestly can't see that being correct as they "attempt" to explain it; as I see it, every team is given a percentage of winning the draw and once you've "won" twice in a 5-year period, said team is removed from the equation and can only "win" if their record is at the very bottom of the League & the team(s) that "win" must move up more than 10 places in order to get #1 OA or #2 OA in said 5-year period...otherwise, they are actively incentivizing tanking until you load up on Top picks...I may be over-complicating it here...the League needs to clarify this, imo...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
...I honestly can't see that being correct as they "attempt" to explain it; as I see it, every team is given a percentage of winning the draw and once you've "won" twice in a 5-year period, said team is removed from the equation and can only "win" if their record is at the very bottom of the League & the team(s) that "win" must move up more than 10 places in order to get #1 OA or #2 OA in said 5-year period...otherwise, they are actively incentivizing tanking until you load up on Top picks...I may be over-complicating it here...the League needs to clarify this, imo...

No matter how you decide to interpret it, the wording is pretty clear:

"No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period."

It's not about simply winning the draw, but advancing in the draft order by winning the draw.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Good.

I looked all over for that and only thing i could find was the resume

yeah it was annoying how the media articles stating that rule didn't link the official release. It was unclear if that was real or if the writers did a logical fallacy on the "Can't win the lottery more than twice in 5 years" rule.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017

If we acquire another top 10 pick and Nemec is on the board, you absolutely have to draft him.

RD PP QB in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad